Russian Tourist Found Dead At Phuket Resort, Cause Unclear

webfact

Russian tourist found dead at Phuket resort, cause unclear

Phuket Gazette

PHUKET: -- Police are hoping that assistance from forensics investigators will help unravel the cause of death of a Russian tourist whose body was found in his Phuket resort villa yesterday.

Chalong Police Deputy Superintendent Jumroon Plaiduang was called to a resort in Soi Na Tai in the southern Phuket beach area of Rawai (map here), at about 1:30pm.

“We found blood on the sofa in the living room, and on the floor not far from the sofa were an empty half-bottle of Thai whiskey, an empty vodka bottle and a few empty bottles of Lipo [the Thai energy drink Lipovitan-D],” said Lt Col Jumroon.

newsjs

“About 10 meters from the sofa, we found the body of Mr Ievgenii Porithkov, 44, from Russia, wearing white shorts and a yellow shirt. His body was sitting up, leaning against the sink cabinet in the kitchen,” he said.

“He had a deep cut on the back of his head. There were some bruises on his forehead and around his eyes. We believe he died about four hours before his body was found,” Col Jamroon added.

On questioning Mr Porithkov’s travel companion, police learned that the two men arrived on holiday in Phuket about a month ago.

“They rented two rooms in the resort and stayed separately. Mr Porithkov liked to drink. He often spent the whole day in his room drinking alone. He was last seen at 10:30am on the day he died. His friend did not know Mr Porithkov had died until police informed him,” Col Jamroon said.

“We believe he died from drinking too much alcohol. However, we do not know how he came to have the cut to the back of his head. Resort staff said they did not notice anyone coming or going from the villa in the hours before Mr Porithkov’s body was found, so we are continuing our investigation with the help of forensic police in the hope we can establish the cause of death,” he added.

Source: http://www.phuketgaz...lear-20130.html

pglogo.jpg

-- Phuket Gazette 2013-02-04

Head cuts and lesions are common in drunk accidents. They lose their balance and fall back against corners of benches, walls etc. Fact not fiction. If the head then suffers trauma and bleeds internally death is imminent unless hospitalised immediately. Ditto for motor bike accidents where people here use plastic brain-buckets and think they have head protection. Local B.i.B. can easily check in Russia as it is a heavy drinking Nation.

• Like 1

R.I.P.

Poor guy. What could have happened to him to make him so depressed? That is, if nobody "helped" him die. Condolences to his family and friends. :(

Local B.i.B. can easily check in Russia as it is a heavy drinking Nation.

Guys please stop saying that. It's not like other nations don't have heavy drinkers, Russia is no more a "heavy drinking nation" that some I know of - trust me, I've seen enough Russians and been there enough. Every country has them, and we keep having these horrible losses of lives to alcoholism :(

Again, really sorry to hear about yet another death here, of a person who came here on vacation. :(

• Like 1

Head cuts and lesions are common in drunk accidents. They lose their balance and fall back against corners of benches, walls etc. Fact not fiction. If the head then suffers trauma and bleeds internally death is imminent unless hospitalised immediately. Ditto for motor bike accidents where people here use plastic brain-buckets and think they have head protection. Local B.i.B. can easily check in Russia as it is a heavy drinking Nation.

There are plenty of drunks in my university town in UK. Most have cuts all over their head from falling over. They lose their balance, but can't react quickly enough to put their hands out to break the fall. But I'm sure most on here would like to think he was murdered. Gives them something to gossip about.

• Like 1

Its tacky to say the least to see Russians strolling and drinking their alcoholic beverages here, its sickening to see them riding motorcycles, cars, trucks, jeeps, atvs in a state of intoxication. There is a generally tolerated dereliction of duty of the police throughout the country such that it is the standard to see anyone....everyone disregarding the law. But Russians don't come here to trample on the system, they just try to fit in.

• Like 2

44 is still to young to die. Some people say 'never drink alone' now I see why. On a brighter note I met a Russian couple on the beach yesterday and they said hello. That's the first time that has happened to me. They could speak English and talked about normal things. I was really surprised. I'm wondering if Russians spoke a little more English they would gain a big social step forward. Or we could learn Russian?

“About 10 meters from the sofa, we found the body of Mr Ievgenii Porithkov, 44, from Russia, wearing white shorts and a yellow shirt. His body was sitting up, leaning against the sink cabinet in the kitchen,” he said.

Must be a fairly big "room" if he could get 10 meters from the sofa.

Typically however the reporting mixes terms, using resort, resort villa and room to describe where he was staying.

Edited by candypants

The Platinum Paradise is the only "resort" on that road. They do have have rather large villas.

Typically however the reporting mixes terms, using resort, resort villa and room to describe where he was staying.

He was obviously in a room, in a villa, in a resort. Seems perfectly straightforward. Or do you think resorts don't have villas, and that villas don't have rooms. Next you'll be wondering how he could die in both Phuket and Thailand at the same time.

But I must say that you are very clever to have worked out that the room was big. Well done.

Edited by davejones

Again, really sorry to hear about yet another death here, of a person who came here on vacation. sad.png

Do you see any reason to fly to Thailand, stay in your room, drink for hours (and die)? What kind of vacation are you thinking about?

Just stay away from Phuket, you get murdered mugged or arrested for running a business.

You have inside information about this man? Or, just trolling?

I would have to say trolling for sure! Tragickingdom is living up to his nickname! I know where this "resort" is. It's on a very quiet Soi, in an area with upscale houses and quite a bit of farm land that's still here in Rawai...

There are plenty of drunks in my university town in UK. Most have cuts all over their head from falling over. They lose their balance, but can't react quickly enough to put their hands out to break the fall. But I'm sure most on here would like to think he was murdered. Gives them something to gossip about.

“He had a deep cut on the back of his head. There were some bruises on his forehead and around his eyes" something not quite right here

44 is still to young to die. Some people say 'never drink alone' now I see why. On a brighter note I met a Russian couple on the beach yesterday and they said hello. That's the first time that has happened to me. They could speak English and talked about normal things. I was really surprised. I'm wondering if Russians spoke a little more English they would gain a big social step forward. Or we could learn Russian?

Speaking of Russians...

Some 20 years ago, shortly after the Berlin wall came down, I met six young Russian engineers in a beer bar in Pattaya. One of them had a birthday that day and upon finding that I spoke Russian they insisted I join the celebration at a Russian restaurant nearby. Their English was quite limited, but it didn't matter. After several hours and lots of vodka, we were making very boisterous toasts to Russko-Amerikanskaya druzhba (Russian-American friendship), as well as some quite unprintable toasts referring to the KGB and the CIA.

In short, a very good time was had by all.

I've met quite a few Russians over the years and without exception they were intelligent, well educated, friendly and likable folks. Maybe I've been fortunate to have met only the good people.

Edited by BradinAsia

Interested to see the map of Rawai, with street names, including a name for each soi. Expanded all over Phuket, it might save those long-winded directions or latitude & longitude one is wont to use.

And as an aside about Russians in Phuket...I LOVE them on the beach. Especially the older women in bikinis. Makes me feel positively anorexic in comparison.

RIP to the poor man who died alone whatever the cause

Speaking of Russians...

Some 20 years ago, shortly after the Berlin wall came down, I met six young Russian engineers in a beer bar in Pattaya. One of them had a birthday that day and upon finding that I spoke Russian they insisted I join the celebration at a Russian restaurant nearby. Their English was quite limited, but it didn't matter. After several hours and lots of vodka, we were making very boisterous toasts to Russko-Amerikanskaya druzhba (Russian-American friendship), as well as some quite unprintable toasts referring to the KGB and the CIA.

I've met quite a few Russians over the years and without exception they were intelligent, well educated, friendly and likable folks. Maybe I've been fortunate to have met only the good people.

And? What the hell does that have to do with this?

sometimes it's more interesting and mysterious to not understand what people are saying.

sometimes it's more interesting and mysterious to not understand what people are saying.

Clearly... As I have no clue as to what you're trying to say either! I guess you are writing English though.

“He had a deep cut on the back of his head. There were some bruises on his forehead and around his eyes" something not quite right here

Very possible that he fell twice.

Speaking of Russians...

Well, he did mentioned that he got drunk with a bunch of Russians. biggrin.png

Speaking of Russians...

It has a lot to do with this -- It responds to all the light-weights who like to disparage entire nationalities, such as the Russians.