Norbu Steak Restaurant Rawai

Gra777

I haven't eaten there for a over a year now. It's pretty good. Stick with the filet, it's the only tender cut of meat. Your choice of mushroom, red wine, or green pepper sauces. They also have some other dishes that are good as well as dessert, full bar. I usually brought a bottle of red wine.

i was there a few month ago and i have to say, it was the best meal i'd had here in years, the steak was so tender, it melted in the month, all the veggies perfect, i was really impressed and the setting is pretty smart aswel, highly recommended, 5 stars licklips.giflicklips.giflicklips.gif

I haven't been for a year also. It was much better before and it has slipped a little.

The reason I stopped going was I got violently ill and the aftertaste of mint sauce on the lamb can't be erased from my mind.

Its a shame because I did like the place.

I haven't been for a year also. It was much better before and it has slipped a little.

The reason I stopped going was I got violently ill and the aftertaste of mint sauce on the lamb can't be erased from my mind.

Its a shame because I did like the place.

Glad I never tried the lamb! Good thing! I never liked mint sauce anyway... On another note, my wife got bitten by one of his many dogs. She had to go for a series of rabies and tetanus shots. I gave him the bill from the clinic he said she should go to for 5K Baht and he wasn't happy. Neither was I, as I had already paid it. But he did pay it after a few hours. He's seen us around the neighborhood and in his restaurant for many years. He still gives me a nod when riding by each other.

Why do most the steak places have sauce on everything? Is it a Thai thing? or what? It's offered at some steak houses in the US, but in my experience it's usualy in small print on the bottom of the menu.

Edited by Shot

How does the steak and prices compare to DiVinchi that is also near bye?

I love good steak but hard to come by in Thailand.

I personally gave up eating beef in Thailand. I buy a larger pork tenderloin about once a week and it's usually quite good after marinating it for a few hours, then BBQed. The smaller ones are kind of tuff i've found though.

• Like 1

I haven't eaten there for a over a year now. It's pretty good. Stick with the filet, it's the only tender cut of meat. Your choice of mushroom, red wine, or green pepper sauces. They also have some other dishes that are good as well as dessert, full bar. I usually brought a bottle of red wine.

You have to bring your own wine? Don't they sell wine?

You have to bring your own wine? Don't they sell wine?

Yes they sell wine. But I know that it won't be what I want, so I usually bring my own. It was a very standard practice throughout Thailand to BYOB, until too many tourists came and messed it up...

• Like 1

I personally gave up eating beef in Thailand. I buy a larger pork tenderloin about once a week and it's usually quite good after marinating it for a few hours, then BBQed. The smaller ones are kind of tuff i've found though.

Go give Locanda in Kata a try.

The steaks are great and have quality lamb.

Sams steak house is the only other worthy mentioning along with Brasserie in town.

Only 3 places with proper steaks.

A bit off-topic, I know, but has anyone else noticed the houses further up the soi that have stolen about 8 feet of road?

post-35489-0-06359900-1359988238.jpg

It's an old photo, but the electric poles are still inside "their" garden.

Yes and I noticed the rocks they put up that could easily damage my car when trying to get by that section of the road. As well as the housing development that they recently put on that land. Funny though, the condos next door still haven't been finished in about 5 years now. Another well thought out and planned project.

Really enjoyed Norbus - better than DaVinci which is nothing special and overpriced. Steaks are great at Norbu although have tried lots of other dishes which were similarly positive . Smoked salmon salad is great also as a starter. Funky venue also.

Really enjoyed Norbus - better than DaVinci which is nothing special and overpriced. Steaks are great at Norbu although have tried lots of other dishes which were similarly positive . Smoked salmon salad is great also as a starter. Funky venue also.

Agree. I would rather eat at Norbu's than Devinici's any day. Rum Jungle is good at times. But it seems to depend if the owner is actually there. If not, it's a miss...

When ever I see a Davinci sign on a bill board or a car or whatever that Public Enemy song goes through my head... Dont Believe the Hype!! Dont Dont Dont Dont Believe the Hype!

Its true good steaks are hard to come by in Phuket. Ill have to go down and give Norbus another run, La Celtic can be good too

@JimiWhere is Rum Jungle?

Sams steak house is the only other worthy mentioning along with Brasserie in town.

Churasco in junceylon is worthy of a mention, better than Norbus IMO, where is locanda located?

Churasco in junceylon is worthy of a mention, better than Norbus IMO, where is locanda located?

Patak Rd, just after the food market if you're headed to chalong, look out for the big gold cow on the left. Can't miss it.

• 2 weeks later...

We were at Norbu's a year and a half ago. Great atmosphere but the food was only okay. We met a couple last July who were taking over AJ's on Rawai beach neat he Orbitor called L'ugar De Place. Beautiful spot and the food is wonderful. Small western and Thai menu. Not being a meat fan I stick with seafood but my husband orders the steak and it melted in my mouth. Will order it next time. Smoking outside only and a good wine list as well as reasonably priced. Enjoy!

We were at Norbu's a year and a half ago. Great atmosphere but the food was only okay. We met a couple last July who were taking over AJ's on Rawai beach neat he Orbitor called L'ugar De Place. Beautiful spot and the food is wonderful. Small western and Thai menu. Not being a meat fan I stick with seafood but my husband orders the steak and it melted in my mouth. Will order it next time. Smoking outside only and a good wine list as well as reasonably priced. Enjoy!

OT a bit, but, that lugar de place looks nice,but I never see anyone in there. Same thing with that Zorro club opposite Ban Had Rawai, looks nice but I never see any customers in there. Anyone been to either place? My last experience with Rum Jungle was a wait of over two hours while Tony had an hour chat with his amicis from Italy and no one manned the kitchen. Staff was useless, maybe they were understaffed that day.

• Like 1

Good steaks? I try all the restaurant in Rawai/Nai harn area.

Very good> Vset, DaVinci, l'Orfeo.

Quite good> Rum Jungle

Nothing special>Norbu's, Celtique (to much sauce and thai/french beef)

Bad>too many

l'Orfeo has a great steak rossini. Ill have to go back again.

Good steaks? I try all the restaurant in Rawai/Nai harn area.

Very good> Vset, DaVinci, l'Orfeo.

Quite good> Rum Jungle

Nothing special>Norbu's, Celtique (to much sauce and thai/french beef)

Bad>too many

"Nothing special>Norbu's, Celtique (to much sauce and thai/french beef)"

Since at Le Celtique you get the sauce separately you have to blame yourself if you poured too much sauce over your steak.

Why do most the steak places have sauce on everything? Is it a Thai thing? or what? It's offered at some steak houses in the US, but in my experience it's usualy in small print on the bottom of the menu.

Sauces on steak are normal and a natural part of the menu of great steak houses all over the world.

If sauces weren't offered I wouldn't bother with the restaurant, I can cook a good piece of Australian steak on a grill at home as well as any chef. The sauces make the difference.

If you don't want a sauce, simply specify when ordering.

Sauces on steak are normal and a natural part of the menu of great steak houses all over the world.

If sauces weren't offered I wouldn't bother with the restaurant, I can cook a good piece of Australian steak on a grill at home as well as any chef. The sauces make the difference.

The BEEF makes the difference!

The BEEF makes the difference!

Agree. Sauce not needed if the beef is top of the line. Salt, freshly ground black pepper.licklips.gif

A good steak can be accomplished by a nice sauce for instand pepper sauce, mushroom sauce, sauce benedictine and so on. Usually it is the fillet mignon with the sauce. T-bones, sirloin etc. has more taste/kick to it and does not need the sauce to give it an extra level of taste.

There is also a difference in preperation, fillet really, really hot for a short time, the rest not so hot and cooked longer.

As for the steak "know it all" guy's here, the difference between T-bone and Porterhouse steak is that the T-bone has only half of the fillet, not the other way round !!!

And the Celtic....yeah if you're stuck in the 70 thees you might like it, personally I do not like it at all !! Old school food and old school sauses.why too fat .

Thank you.