New Organised Harassment Scam By Police

nikkoid66

@ Somtampet: I dont have 2 maids at same time. 1 is the ex-maid. If you feel too bored, do something better than gossiping like street women. I just have my new born baby,hub needs to work during the week, and my parents are in hospital now in my country. I must have somebody to help me. ... Are you satisfied now ?!?!

@ Robinpattaya: Give you a sneer. But if it's your habit to slander others, jump to abrupt judgements etc, go ahead and have fun. Doesn't bother me.

Yes, I've been busy for long time and every day. If they have a branch site in downtown, I would have gone there already. There are so many short-term tourist using (small) motorbikes. They would have been fined many times before they find that place near Regent School.

Sorry, personally I think police here are poor in management and performance. Much more could have been done better: Setting up more cameras to reduce robberies/crimes, checking those building constructions at night and loud hotels and restaurants that disturb the residents nearby, etc and etc

Not sure if they still do this, but one of the expat clubs here use to offer help with getting your license. A member goes with a group to the land transport office and helps you through the entire process. You can even rent a scooter there for something like 100B, so you don't have to drive your bike all the way out there. That's what I did. It takes a full day, but has to be done to stay legal here.

Here's one good reason the police do these road side checks:

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hmmm, both of my maids told me they were also stopped and checked and fined before.

I really would like to have a Thai motorbike riding license. But... the place is so far away and I've heard it takes quite long time.

Why the police don't set up a service site in pattaya city for express process of motorbike license ?!?!?! sick.gif

A long way? I went there from Soi Khao Talo and it took me 20 minutes at the most and that included finding the place.

Maybe it does take some time but at least you will have a driving licence and then you can get insurance too.

Remember that your insurance (if you have any) will be invalid without a D/L.

With a licence - as others have said - you get to show it and laugh at those being handed fines for not having one.

On the other hand if you are looking for a huge bill for an accident, regular fines and so on, carry on ........

@ Somtampet: I dont have 2 maids at same time. 1 is the ex-maid. If you feel too bored, do something better than gossiping like street women. I just have my new born baby,hub needs to work during the week, and my parents are in hospital now in my country. I must have somebody to help me. ... Are you satisfied now ?!?!

@ Robinpattaya: Give you a sneer. But if it's your habit to slander others, jump to abrupt judgements etc, go ahead and have fun. Doesn't bother me.

Yes, I've been busy for long time and every day. If they have a branch site in downtown, I would have gone there already. There are so many short-term tourist using (small) motorbikes. They would have been fined many times before they find that place near Regent School.

Sorry, personally I think police here are poor in management and performance. Much more could have been done better: Setting up more cameras to reduce robberies/crimes, checking those building constructions at night and loud hotels and restaurants that disturb the residents nearby, etc and etc

Not sure if they still do this, but one of the expat clubs here use to offer help with getting your license. A member goes with a group to the land transport office and helps you through the entire process. You can even rent a scooter there for something like 100B, so you don't have to drive your bike all the way out there. That's what I did. It takes a full day, but has to be done to stay legal here.

Here's one good reason the police do these road side checks:

http://www.thaivisa....-nern-plub-wan/

Yes, I drove down there in the car and hired a motorbike for 100 Baht to take the driving part of the test.

Most of the day to get everything sorted but now I can nip around town all day with no problems about getting stopped. It was well worth the effort.

hmmm, both of my maids told me they were also stopped and checked and fined before.

I really would like to have a Thai motorbike riding license. But... the place is so far away and I've heard it takes quite long time.

Why the police don't set up a service site in pattaya city for express process of motorbike license ?!?!?! sick.gif

A long way? I went there from Soi Khao Talo and it took me 20 minutes at the most and that included finding the place.

Maybe it does take some time but at least you will have a driving licence and then you can get insurance too.

Remember that your insurance (if you have any) will be invalid without a D/L.

With a licence - as others have said - you get to show it and laugh at those being handed fines for not having one.

On the other hand if you are looking for a huge bill for an accident, regular fines and so on, carry on ........

Right on! Insurance is the biggest thing. With out a proper DL, you have no insurance. Same goes for driving your car.

OK,ok,some of you have had the luck never to been demanded to give a bribe to a cop I can not dispute that.But do not jump to the conclusion that others haven`t or that everybody who has to pay is a person,who doesn`t follow the rules!! Just a couple of days ago I was stopped with my new car.The cop did not accuse me of anything,didn`t even ask to see my DL or anything else.What he did was to put his hand inside the car and demanded 100 baht..!Happened many times in my 20 years here,so do not give us the crap,that the polis in Thailand is just looking for the bad guys.They ARE the bad guys!! Rotten to the core,corrupted inside out,from top to bottom and back.Actually this was stated not long ago in a survey done to check state agencis and such,where they took the top spot.Of course,it was not formulated the way I did it.Add to this,that they themselves do not care about traffic rules when they drive,Or any other rules for that matter...My view on how to handle this is,I do not accept it,but I have to live with it...Take the bad with the good in this country. You know,"what you can not change.."

Okay, so a cop flags you down, cannot find any traffic violation and asks for 100 Baht.

Why do you give him the money?

• Like 1

OK,ok,some of you have had the luck never to been demanded to give a bribe to a cop I can not dispute that.But do not jump to the conclusion that others haven`t or that everybody who has to pay is a person,who doesn`t follow the rules!! Just a couple of days ago I was stopped with my new car.The cop did not accuse me of anything,didn`t even ask to see my DL or anything else.What he did was to put his hand inside the car and demanded 100 baht..!Happened many times in my 20 years here,so do not give us the crap,that the polis in Thailand is just looking for the bad guys.They ARE the bad guys!! Rotten to the core,corrupted inside out,from top to bottom and back.Actually this was stated not long ago in a survey done to check state agencis and such,where they took the top spot.Of course,it was not formulated the way I did it.Add to this,that they themselves do not care about traffic rules when they drive,Or any other rules for that matter...My view on how to handle this is,I do not accept it,but I have to live with it...Take the bad with the good in this country. You know,"what you can not change.."

Okay, so a cop flags you down, cannot find any traffic violation and asks for 100 Baht.

Because he hasn't leaned the "Raro" way of dealing with the local police!!! laugh.png

i got stopped at the very same check point on my scooter today (2nd rd / Dolphin island).....

showed my thai driving licence (didn't ask to see the bike's tax disc) and was cheerfully waived on my way.....

if you've got the right documents and you are no breaking the law (ie helmet worn, bike not modified etc), in my experience, you've go no problems..

Getting Thai D/L was a doddle - no test, just showed my UK licence and was in and out (with thai bike and car licences) in under 45 mins.....

post-95864-0-72214200-1360161172_thumb.j

no Test ?no documentation other than a local DL from your country ?that is new to me......

i got stopped at the very same check point on my scooter today (2nd rd / Dolphin island).....

showed my thai driving licence (didn't ask to see the bike's tax disc) and was cheerfully waived on my way.....

if you've got the right documents and you are no breaking the law (ie helmet worn, bike not modified etc), in my experience, you've go no problems..

Getting Thai D/L was a doddle - no test, just showed my UK licence and was in and out (with thai bike and car licences) in under 45 mins.....

post-95864-0-72214200-1360161172_thumb.j

no Test ?no documentation other than a local DL from your country ?that is new to me......

It's just like your car license. If you have a valid one from your home country, you don't have to do the written nor driving test. If you have a motorcycle license (or endorsement on your DL for it) you don't have to do either test either. Otherwise, you have to do both written and driving to get your Thai license.

It's super busy, so go early and make sure you have all your documents together.

Because he hasn't leaned the "Raro" way of dealing with the local police!!! laugh.png

and that would be?? RIGHT!

I told a cop already that I indeed pay taxes and that his salary is paid from those taxes and that I see no point in paying him again.

• Like 2

First;he did not search for any violation,as i think is evident from my post.He did not bother even to try to mask what he was after.Secondly; I did not say,whether I actually gave him the money or not.Third; To judge from the many posts you have written,I have to belive that you have lived here a long time,Therefor it surprises me,that you obviously haven`t heard of what can happen if you ignore a cop,who perhaps has waken up on the wrong side that day.Perhaps he happens to find a bag with ya ba in your lap...Or takes out the handcufs and dangle with them in your face (happened to me)Or even worse,he has to shoot you,since you tried to grab his gun...Of course,I could tell myself,that things like that only happens to others,nobody would dare to do it to me.. I really hope,that your bravery will not be something you will never have a chance to demonstrate here on TV again !
  • Like 2

I guess I live a charmed life. In 46 years in Thailand I have been fined (with a real ticket) once for speeding and once for out of date tax sticker (paid cash on the spot) while passing through a toll booth. I have been driving all that time, by car, travelled almost everywhere in the country, am out everyday in the last 5 years here in Pattaya and while being checked at road blocks, have never been hassled after my documents are seen to be valid. On another occasion, when I missed a left turning due to road repairs and found myself driving up a one way street the wrong way, a policeman stopped me and suggested I put on my warning lights and drive up to next turning to resolve the issue. No aggro, no fine, just smiles and advice. But I do understand some posters points and sympathise.

and that would be?? RIGHT!

I told a cop already that I indeed pay taxes and that his salary is paid from those taxes and that I see no point in paying him again.

Saw your post just now.Good idea perhaps,to make him totally confused!! I am sure he didn`t understand the meaning of what you told him.In addition to that,you got a chance to feel proud of your self.1-0 to you. Perhaps he has some kind of answer if you meet again and can even the score...
  • Like 1

How many policemen were there at this stop?

If only one or maybe two then don't stop because it is most likely not an official stop.

On many long drives around the country you will see one police officer waving people in to the side of the road. The other officer then tells you that you were speeding and ask for 100 Baht. That is not a legal stop, it is a money maker for the police.

I used to stop at those until I got wise to the trick many years ago. Now I keep on driving.

Stops at toll booths are usually a different matter altogether and you are taken over to a table where you pay the same fine as Thai people pay. They show you the photo - if for a speeding offence.

Where there are cones in the road is also an official stop. Show the licence and away you go.

I have not yet seen an illegal stop here in Pattaya. Soi Khao Talo, for example, has about 6 officers on duty and they all give out proper paperwork unless you can negotiate differently. Yet if you do have the correct licence they look at it and wave you on.

• Like 1

Unfortunately this lack of enforcement is also what most people here like about driving in Thailand, and this could even work to a certain extent if drivers remained sensible (a bit like the no speed limit on German highways).

No need to be too sensible, plain technology and regulations do the job. By regulations I mean there is no hand cart, foodstall converted sidecar motorbike, tractor or anything else that goes slow on them, and no vehicle unfit. The Autobahn has a speed limit, but at the low end. 60kph.

If it bothers you, always get a ticket and keep it with you for a week. Clears you for 7 days and you can pretty much do what you want. Then get another one. When I go to Pattaya I will try to get a ticket my first day there and it covers my the rest of the time if I get stopped again, I just show it to them and they wave me on. I've never had them give me another ticket while I still had the first one.

It's their game, play by their rules. TIT, have sanook!

How many policemen were there at this stop?

If only one or maybe two then don't stop because it is most likely not an official stop.

On many long drives around the country you will see one police officer waving people in to the side of the road. The other officer then tells you that you were speeding and ask for 100 Baht. That is not a legal stop, it is a money maker for the police.

I used to stop at those until I got wise to the trick many years ago. Now I keep on driving.

Stops at toll booths are usually a different matter altogether and you are taken over to a table where you pay the same fine as Thai people pay. They show you the photo - if for a speeding offence.

Where there are cones in the road is also an official stop. Show the licence and away you go.

I have not yet seen an illegal stop here in Pattaya. Soi Khao Talo, for example, has about 6 officers on duty and they all give out proper paperwork unless you can negotiate differently. Yet if you do have the correct licence they look at it and wave you on.

There were more than 10 cops AND cones...Highway police are two people,without cones,do you ignore them?

I don't think we should recommend just driving off past a policeman waving you down. Do so at your own risk. But I sure understand the reasons....

No I think it's too risky. I got everything here and ending up in court, perhaps deported would be a disaster, I rather pay the 200 bath which I by the way never had to. Got 2 speeding tickets (200 bath a pop) and I was speeding okay, so I just paid and thought to myself: man this is cheap compared to my home country.

Got stopped last Sunday on my bike in front of the police station on Beach Road, showed them my Thai drivers licence and was sent on my way again.

Perhaps your driver knows the way, take your local fixer along to get you to the front of the queue. It may be inconvenient but you will have to show some documents, you are able to get both car and motorcycle licence at the same time. It is not far at all.

The police do not issue licences, Dept. of Transport, very very easy process, just do your research on here re documents needed.

If it bothers you, always get a ticket and keep it with you for a week. Clears you for 7 days and you can pretty much do what you want. Then get another one. When I go to Pattaya I will try to get a ticket my first day there and it covers my the rest of the time if I get stopped again, I just show it to them and they wave me on. I've never had them give me another ticket while I still had the first one.

It's their game, play by their rules. TIT, have sanook!

I kept tickets for over a year already. You get then a lecture on the 7 day rule but usually not a new ticket as you have one already.

As just ignoring the policeman flagging you down (done that already, too) - do at your own risk!

Perhaps your driver knows the way, take your local fixer along to get you to the front of the queue. It may be inconvenient but you will have to show some documents, you are able to get both car and motorcycle licence at the same time. It is not far at all.

The police do not issue licences, Dept. of Transport, very very easy process, just do your research on here re documents needed.

Please don't recommend this. Technically, it's illegal...though we know widespread. And secondly, they don't seem to open to things like this. I actually had a minor issue that almost caused me to have to come back a second time. Wifey, being the good Thai citizen, asked what could she do to prevent this. wink wink. The stern reply was NOTHING!!!!! Luckily, she persisted and I guess either her charm paid off or the guy got tired of her. He bundled up all the paperwork and I got my license. Whew...

Just talked to the motorbike taxi driver outside our condo. Told me the whole process will take about 4 hours (including the time on the way).

My question:

1. I'll go to BPH for medical certificate first. So, I just need to tell the receptionist my visit purpose, and she will tell me what to check, right?

2. My domestic driving license doesn't cover motorbike. So I cant get a motorbike license so "short cut"like others do. Anyone has experience: for a complete test, normally how long will it take? I plan to go there early in the morning (anyway am an early bird), hope it will not be too crowded. My only headache is time. My baby will cry like hell if she can't get breastfeeding on time !! I really have to calculate my time carefully ahead.

Any useful info is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot !

Yes,

step 1: go to government clinic to get medical certificate you'r still breathing,

(there is one at the corner of 3rd rd & pattaya tai, look for green color)

step 2: go to immigration office in jomtien and say you want the papers for driving license, bring passport, and probably a contract of your rental too

step 3: make sure you have at least 3 weeks valid visa, and go to the place just before regency school,

tell them at the counter you want driving license, follow their direction, and brace yourself for 3-4 hour in non air con.

The theory is easy, just say you want to practice on the computer, make your answers,

check result and take extra note on those questions you answered wrong,

memorize the correct answer and try again !

The practice: if you are less than stellar, do keep your speed up when you drive on the small wooden thing, its easier than slow

Edited by poanoi
  • Like 1

I kept tickets for over a year already. You get then a lecture on the 7 day rule but usually not a new ticket as you have one already.

Whenever I've been issued a ticket, the cop kept my license. I promptly paid up.

As just ignoring the policeman flagging you down (done that already, too) - do at your own risk!

Right. Done this a couple of times when it was just one cop, and I knew I hadn't done anything wrong, and it was obviously a shakedown. There were many nervous glances in the rear view.

I would never, ever ignore a checkpoint manned by a bunch of cops, a legit stop. Not worth the risk of the problems they can create. I was stopped once but showed my DL and was on my way.

Just talked to the motorbike taxi driver outside our condo. Told me the whole process will take about 4 hours (including the time on the way).

My question:

1. I'll go to BPH for medical certificate first. So, I just need to tell the receptionist my visit purpose, and she will tell me what to check, right?

2. My domestic driving license doesn't cover motorbike. So I cant get a motorbike license so "short cut"like others do. Anyone has experience: for a complete test, normally how long will it take? I plan to go there early in the morning (anyway am an early bird), hope it will not be too crowded. My only headache is time. My baby will cry like hell if she can't get breastfeeding on time !! I really have to calculate my time carefully ahead.

Any useful info is highly appreciated. Thanks a lot !

Do not go to BPH, I read somewhere here that is was rejected. Find the nearest local clinic and tell them you need a driver licence medical. 10 min and 100 bath later you got it.

Yes if you are lucky it can be done in 4 hours from start to finish. Early in the morning tend to be very crowed so I would say 0900 is a good time to show up but you risk that the lunch brake will delay your process. Last time I did it, I had all the tests done before lunch but had to wait for the licence to be issued, but they have small restaurants just opposite the building. They also have copy facilities and know exactly what to copy.

You have to bring your own bike or you can "borrow" one from one of the other students for a small fee. Yes no bullshit, all the students off course come riding on their bikes how else can you get a licence, amazing Thailandbiggrin.png . I saw a farang on his Harley but he was told to do the test on another bike as it is too big for the test track and they were not too happy with the noise level from it eitherclap2.gif.

The same thing applies for car: bring your own wheels.

If you are lucky they will speed you through the process if you bring your baby with you.

I find the staff polite and fair despite the hordes every day over and over again.

I glad I got my 5 years licences for both categories so next time is a walk in the park.

Good luck.

Edited by guzzi850m2
  • Like 1

International licence should be fine provided it is current and valid for motorbikes.

Police here are "self-funding" and the whole system is arranged so money is raked in and funnelled upwards. This is not a Western developed nation.

Funnelled upwards................

Haven't laughed so much in 52 years................cheesy.gif