City Life Article On Chiang Mai Immigration Office Problems

jko

I just looked at the petition.

It dosen't even say what it is about. It only asks for 500 signatures,

Looks like some one took a really candid article and cut and pasted some nonsense petition on to it Hoping people would think it was about improving immigration when in fact is a petition to bring back Tony Blair.giggle.gif

Huh? Did you actually click on the link?

• Like 1

Sorry I don't know about raising money, frankly I don't think it is the job of foreigners to raise money, but that of the government to make sure that their department runs efficiently. Hence the petition. They have already allocated funds for 66 employees, but yet they refuse to fill the positions...since positions need to be filled by BKK. They also receive over 80% of money raised in fees from CM (over 80 million baht), but apparently not much over 10 million is returned to run the office here. The petition, as ineffective as it possibly is, is simply to add one tine pressure to the government to ask them to support the much-needed reforms at CM immigration.

Sorry I don't know about raising money, frankly I don't think it is the job of foreigners to raise money, but that of the government to make sure that their department runs efficiently. Hence the petition. They have already allocated funds for 66 employees, but yet they refuse to fill the positions...since positions need to be filled by BKK. They also receive over 80% of money raised in fees from CM (over 80 million baht), but apparently not much over 10 million is returned to run the office here. The petition, as ineffective as it possibly is, is simply to add one tine pressure to the government to ask them to support the much-needed reforms at CM immigration.

While scanning this thread for a bit, I read what appears to be a major problem for our CM Imm Off, as being one of staffing. I don't know if it has been mentioned or discussed, but has the thought been given or thought about to providing the equvilent to the Tourist Police Vols. to the Immig Office. You know like foreign language speaking volunteers to help out with the labor shortage..... May be a speed up as the language barrier would be further broken down. Small training course and vols with different base languages for those who need other than basic Thai and English. Jealousy would need be put aside and could be a good freel help pool for the good Col. Just a thought.

This practice is (or was 2 years ago) in place at Phuket Immigration - once as slow as CM it's now a fairly efficient office.

While scanning this thread for a bit, I read what appears to be a major problem for our CM Imm Off, as being one of staffing. I don't know if it has been mentioned or discussed, but has the thought been given or thought about to providing the equvilent to the Tourist Police Vols. to the Immig Office. You know like foreign language speaking volunteers to help out with the labor shortage..... May be a speed up as the language barrier would be further broken down. Small training course and vols with different base languages for those who need other than basic Thai and English. Jealousy would need be put aside and could be a good freel help pool for the good Col. Just a thought.

Sounds like a workable idea Gonzo, now we just need someone to put the proposal to the Col in writing and await the response.

I would imagine that it is another thing that would need to go through Bangkok

Any ideas who would be the best person to write the proposal? (Not me) biggrin.png

Be interesting to see the follow up responses to your idea.

can anyone advise on the current procedure for extending a tourist visa at CM immigration please? friend was asking about it last night and i didn't know the situation. will they need to turn up very early and queue or can they just arrive and grab a number for the tourist visa extension section?

can anyone advise on the current procedure for extending a tourist visa at CM immigration please? friend was asking about it last night and i didn't know the situation. will they need to turn up very early and queue or can they just arrive and grab a number for the tourist visa extension section?

extended mine for the first time last week - really no problem as long as you have all that is required. I got there at about 7.45 and was out of there before 10. If your mate needs any more info on what to take drop me a line.