Garlic Report

Dancealot

We're putting some of our spare land behind the house to vegetables. I'd love to grow garlic there. It's well composted now and shaded.

I've never seen bulbs for sale in our local seed shops. Perhaps someone cold suggest where I might look, please.

Quoting DAL "1 Rai only but it is expected to raise 2000kg of raw, small, genuine and strong Thai garlic.wai2.gif"

Thai garlic is strong?.... I find it quite mild and least the stuff you get here in the south...I assume it would be Thai garlic... (we cannot grow it here in the south, our nights are too warm!!! )

Just don't use Elephant Poo, for fertilizing, you'll end up with "Elephant Garlic",.... whistling.gifwink.pngwhich if I remember is even milder! biggrin.png

I agree that Thai garlic seems very mild compared to the stuff I used to grow in Switzerland. It is one of the things on my list of things to smuggle in.

smuggling strong from CH to LoS or smuggling mild from LoS to CH?

LoS and CH offer quite different climates,

if you bring the mild stuff from LoS and cultivate it in CH maybe it grows strong?

or v v?

I think my wife applied too much 'cow poo poo'. We haven't applied straw, will do so this morning, thanks.

We bought two kinds of Thai garlic at the market and planted that.

If the plants have started to bulb, then go easy on more organic fertiliser. I doubt the cow manure would give them too much. I assume youris not as advanced as DAL's photos, so you should be able to correct whatever the deficiency is. Water first, is it getting a deep watering or a Thai "spray"?

The cow pooh we take has the consistency and appearance of peat, lovely stuff. However it does seem to be pretty nitrogen loaded, our zinnias shot up to a meter tall (nearly) before they started to flower, and that not too well.

Anyway I mulched them now and have instructed the wife to only spray twice a week, but to give them a drenching. I must admit, now I come to think of it, that I take much longer to water the garden than she does. They are bulbing, but reluctantly.

I guess another problem is that the fenced in garden was in such a sorry state (I was thinking about using the 'soil' to make bricks) when I got here that I dug in sand plus liberal doses of manure, the soil looks and feels ok now but it probably isn't good for every crop, I'll have to start thinking about rotation.

• Like 1

How much will you get for this 2000kg of garlic ?

Let's make 1 thing clear. I don't get anything from it's harvest. I am just standing by and observing.

And no doubt chugging back a few Chang as well while you stand and watch .....tongue.pngbiggrin.png

I think potash from the fire pile would be better than too much nitrogen from the cow poo tooo....wink.pngwhistling.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Garlic X-reference / Practical use of end product.

http://www.thaivisa..../611959-garlic/

http://www.thaivisa....ic-tiny-cloves/

Summary on these is that opinions differ about the spicy ness of Chinese garlic VS. Thai garlic. My opinion is Thai garlic is more spicy.

Also the advantage of Chinese garlic is that is a lot bigger then then Thai garlic and therefore easier to peal and handle in the kitchen.

Edited by Dancealot

So how much will the gypsies get then.

I am not interested in that.

What i know for sure is that the money will be divided among st the planters, (hired)harvesters, village elders and land owners accordingly. There is a lot involved and it is a very interesting and complex pay-out system based on village hierarchy, debt, credit and mutual respect.

This is very interesting to me.

You see a positive profit/loss assessment will never be the goal of a rural Thai farmer and instead break-even is the main goal. This system is becoming more of a trend with European corporations as well.This system is very attractive to me because the low class will profit from it whit out working their ass of but have the time to sabaai. There is actually no formal management and CEO. It is very humane and therefore attractivethumbsup.gif .

A lot of western companies can learn from the Thai farmers. I got a taste of how their ingenious system works and i am eager to learn. Yes i am only here to learn and sabaai.

wai2.gif

Understand your view....but never understand happy to just break even....can you explain the point of 'just break even' every time and happy to do so....I do not get that point at all.

Reason i ask how much it gets as a crop is to see if it is a good income earner or not....if not, why go to the effort.

Break even does not payeth the school fees.

So how much will the gypsies get then.

I am not interested in that.

What i know for sure is that the money will be divided among st the planters, (hired)harvesters, village elders and land owners accordingly. There is a lot involved and it is a very interesting and complex pay-out system based on village hierarchy, debt, credit and mutual respect.

This is very interesting to me.

You see a positive profit/loss assessment will never be the goal of a rural Thai farmer and instead break-even is the main goal. This system is becoming more of a trend with European corporations as well.This system is very attractive to me because the low class will profit from it whit out working their ass of but have the time to sabaai. There is actually no formal management and CEO. It is very humane and therefore attractivethumbsup.gif .

A lot of western companies can learn from the Thai farmers. I got a taste of how their ingenious system works and i am eager to learn. Yes i am only here to learn and sabaai.

wai2.gif

Understand your view....but never understand happy to just break even....can you explain the point of 'just break even' every time and happy to do so....I do not get that point at all.

Reason i ask how much it gets as a crop is to see if it is a good income earner or not....if not, why go to the effort.

Break even does not payeth the school fees.

And this is the point in time where the "Farang" come into the equation.

Seriously. Of course profits are made in Thai farming. What i wanted to 'suggest' is that these farmers consider the earnings from their own hard work, blood and sweat-(bear in mind after ALL obligations have been paid)- they will never consider this money as 'extra'. The money will wisely and responsibly be re-invested back into the family and the farm. I am learning as we speak how things work.

My 'break-even' goes a little further then the version you implied. wai.gif

Edited by Dancealot
  • Like 1

How super Dancealot, you want to learn so you arrange to be at a school and arrange to pay school fees. Excellent, just how it should be, no such thing as a free lunch.

However, I guess that you may have sufficient funds to at least take care of the life style to which you subscribe. If so, good for you, not only does your learning experience give you what you need, it helps the whole community.

I see that you are learning a lot more than how to grow garlic...... smile.png

TiT, TLoS wai2.gif

How super Dancealot, you want to learn so you arrange to be at a school and arrange to pay school fees. Excellent, just how it should be, no such thing as a free lunch.

However, I guess that you may have sufficient funds to at least take care of the life style to which you subscribe. If so, good for you, not only does your learning experience give you what you need, it helps the whole community.

TiT, TLoS wai2.gif

@ Mr. Laislica

And please run that by me again; "sufficient funds"blink.png . I am only 36 and a regular working man in the west with a yearly, very long 'holiday'.

• Like 1

TiT, TLoS wai2.gif

@ Mr. Laislica

And please run that by me again; "sufficient funds"blink.png . I am only 36 and a regular working man in the west with a yearly, very long 'holiday'.

Wow! 36 x 2 = Me!

I take my hat off to you cos it took me far too long to even begin to understand what you have known for a long time.

OK, then if you have a job in the west and long holls, - OK then you have enough.....

I took early retirement and my colleagues advised me to stay on a few more years, look at the graphs they said, see how much more you will get.....

I said that I want to live now and jumped out in mid 2000. As you may recall, a financial crisis soon followed. If I'd waited, my pension would have been smaller.....

You seem to know this, we have one life and it is lived on a day by day basis.

Good to meet you sir.

TiT, TLoS wai2.gif

@ Mr. Laislica

Wow! 36 x 2 = Me!

I take my hat off to you cos it took me far too long to even begin to understand what you have known for a long time.

OK, then if you have a job in the west and long holls, - OK then you have enough.....

I took early retirement and my colleagues advised me to stay on a few more years, look at the graphs they said, see how much more you will get.....

I said that I want to live now and jumped out in mid 2000. As you may recall, a financial crisis soon followed. If I'd waited, my pension would have been smaller.....

You seem to know this, we have one life and it is lived on a day by day basis.

Good to meet you sir.

Your colleagues advised you but your friends probably supported you into choosing to do what makes you happy. Nice to see you listened to yourself and everything worked out for youthumbsup.gif

The pleasure is all mine that we have met. Hope more people are learning how to cook thai food.

• Like 1

TiT, TLoS wai2.gif

I also know one i learned from the nice 70's USA TV-series 'Happy Days'

TiT,.... As if!coffee1.gif