U S: 92% Vote For Stricter Gun Control

webfact

In Australia you are committing a criminal offence if you do not have a gun safe and you face 2 years imprisonment (yes I know that is Aust and not the U.S) The U.S requirements are very soft.

You also must store your ammunition separately from the firearm or if it is stored in the safe with the firearm it must be stored in a separate locked container. The gunsafe must also be fixed to the structure/premises where the firearms are licenced to be stored.

You are considered irresponsible in Aust if you do not meet these basic requirements and that is why you are charged with a criminal offence, have you guns siezed, licence cancelled, get a heavy fine and look at a prison sentence.

Great. I'm quite happy I don't live in Australia. It sounds like a country with stupid gun laws. I don't even think I will visit. Problem solved.

Much the same as in the UK and very sensible.

The argument that a gun safe is too heavy, bulky or expensive to buy and so a gun can be left lying around suggests a dangerous and cavalier attitude.

Thank you, expert from a country which doesn't allow ordinary citizens to even a handgun. So let me get this straight: you never even owned a handgun prior to coming to Thailand, did you? (because I know you can't have a handgun in UK...unless you are in a pistol club and even then the pistol must meet length requirements)? So now you have a gun in Thailand. And it's not actually YOUR gun...it's more your wife's gun. So how many times have you even FIRED your handgun?

I may have a dangerous and cavalier attitude towards firearms however at least I know how to use the fiirearm. I believe it is a dangerous and cavalier attitude for someone to own a handgun without practicing it at least every 60 days (minimum) because it means you don't have sufficient control over your own firearm.

Requiring people to have gun safes which are secured to the structure and to keep ammunition separate...is the stupidity of a nanny state which thankfully neither Thailand or the United States adheres to.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In Australia you are committing a criminal offence if you do not have a gun safe and you face 2 years imprisonment (yes I know that is Aust and not the U.S) The U.S requirements are very soft.

You also must store your ammunition separately from the firearm or if it is stored in the safe with the firearm it must be stored in a separate locked container. The gunsafe must also be fixed to the structure/premises where the firearms are licenced to be stored.

You are considered irresponsible in Aust if you do not meet these basic requirements and that is why you are charged with a criminal offence, have you guns siezed, licence cancelled, get a heavy fine and look at a prison sentence.

Great. I'm quite happy I don't live in Australia. It sounds like a country with stupid gun laws. I don't even think I will visit. Problem solved.

Much the same as in the UK and very sensible.

The argument that a gun safe is too heavy, bulky or expensive to buy and so a gun can be left lying around suggests a dangerous and cavalier attitude.

Thank you, expert from a country which doesn't allow ordinary citizens to even a handgun. So let me get this straight: you never even owned a handgun prior to coming to Thailand, did you? (because I know you can't have a handgun in UK...unless you are in a pistol club and even then the pistol must meet length requirements)? So now you have a gun in Thailand. And it's not actually YOUR gun...it's more your wife's gun. So how many times have you even FIRED your handgun?

I may have a dangerous and cavalier attitude towards firearms however at least I know how to use the fiirearm. I believe it is a dangerous and cavalier attitude for someone to own a handgun without practicing it at least every 60 days (minimum) because it means you don't have sufficient control over your own firearm.

Requiring people to have gun safes which are secured to the structure and to keep ammunition separate...is the stupidity of a nanny state which thankfully neither Thailand or the United States adheres to.

No civilian in the UK has a legal hand gun. The law was changed after a massacre of young school children.

I've explained this already but I'll do it once more for you. I will also allow for the possibility that you don't know the licensing procedure here. I paid for the gun. I could get a licence and may well do so in the future but it's quickest and easiest to have the gun in your wife's ownership. I can use it in the way that I have previously described and that is the same for anyone who has a licence. We practice regularly at the gun club to which we belong. At home, we shall fire only in self-defence or to protect our property and never for practice.

Responsible gun ownership is a matter of listening and reading as well as knowing the law. It doesn't need years of gun ownership or a long training course. Those with a tad of common sense pick it up very quickly. Before buying the gun, I did the proper thing and learned about gun care, the local law and how to handle and keep it safely. It's quite easy to do. Then we both took tuition at the club. If learning all that took years of gun ownership, then the learning period would be one of ignorance.

Gun safes aren't required here but they are easily available and my previous knowledge from the UK told me that having and using one is the responsible thing to do.

I respect your different views from mine and understand that the views of many in the US differ from those of people from most other Western countries, Perhaps, in return, you could respect my views, discuss our differences calmly and stop the attempts to discredit my right to have my views.

^^

yeah, about that.... you see you had previously stated that you questioned whether certain people on this thread (meaning me) should be allowed to own a firearm as I did not have a gun safe...and then you said something about...oh, I don't know, a "dangerous and cavalier attitude"....

And I am actually not joking about needing to actually practice with a firearm. If you don't practice with it and become so familiar with it that it becomes a part of you, then you are dangerous with it. Really. Not saying it to be mean, but saying it as a truth. Think about what happens when you are awaked at 3:00 a.m. with a noise and have to emergency grab your gun. You need to know how to use it, and how it feels inherently that you know everything about it in the dark and in an emergency. And my thoughts are based upon what the ex police officer GF had to put up. She was tested every 60 days by the department. And if she failed to qualify with a firearm, the gun was pulled from her. A cop without a gun is useless. So shooting skills is a big thing with me...and it is not accomplished merely by reading a book.

^^

yeah, about that.... you see you had previously stated that you questioned whether certain people on this thread (meaning me) should be allowed to own a firearm as I did not have a gun safe...and then you said something about...oh, I don't know, a "dangerous and cavalier attitude"....

And I am actually not joking about needing to actually practice with a firearm. If you don't practice with it and become so familiar with it that it becomes a part of you, then you are dangerous with it. Really. Not saying it to be mean, but saying it as a truth. Think about what happens when you are awaked at 3:00 a.m. with a noise and have to emergency grab your gun. You need to know how to use it, and how it feels inherently that you know everything about it in the dark and in an emergency. And my thoughts are based upon what the ex police officer GF had to put up. She was tested every 60 days by the department. And if she failed to qualify with a firearm, the gun was pulled from her. A cop without a gun is useless. So shooting skills is a big thing with me...and it is not accomplished merely by reading a book.

I agree with that and that's why we practice regularly in a suitable environment. Theory and practice go together. We don't practice shooting actual people as you can understand!

Shooting skills is not the only aspect of gun ownership and custody, as I have pointed out far too often on this thread.

Our gun is ready to hand all day and all night while we are at home. We are unlikely to need to use it during the day but it's handy anyway just in case. When we are out, it's in the safe.

Title rather misleading. Yeah of course background checks...even diehard gun owners do not want criminals or the mentally ill to purchase handguns...

And really, do we really need "news of Russia" to accurately report US news?

Obviously yes w00t.gif