Thai Academics Seek To Separate Asean History From S E Asia

webfact

Academics seek to separate Asean history from SE Asia

WANNAPA KHAOPA

THE NATION

30199589-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Not all Asean countries are in the Southeast Asian region, so the history of Asean and Southeast Asea should be separated, an academic said at a recent discussion. The seminar was also urged to write an Asean "people's history".

"We cannot tell the same story when talking about Asean and Southeast Asia in terms of history. Asean was established only about 45 years ago, while Southeast Asia existed well before that. More than a century ago, each Southeast Asian country chose either to be isolated or become a republic. After 1960, each country was in the process of building a nation, moving toward a new administrative system and economy. They became more integrated," Prof Thanet Aphornsuvan, from the Pridi Banomyong International College at Thammasat University, said.

newsjs

He was speaking at a seminar on "Living Together under Social and Cultural Diversity in Asean" held by the Thailand Research Fund (TRF) and the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).

The Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) was created on August 8, 1967.

"After 1960, Asean countries began to share similar internal changes in each country. Every country has had an authoritarian regime, and we have all experienced similar internal problems and sadness. Thus, we should write about what has happened in Asean and this will become our identity," Thanet said, adding that the history of each country since then has had more internal conflicts related to political changes than external conflicts with other countries in the region.

"We don't have to look into ancient history or conflicts in Southeast Asia when we talk about Asean," he added.

He also called on Asean countries to create a common history based on shared political changes and problems in order to create better connectivity among the people.

"It will be challenging when we see Asean history in this new aspect, instead of telling separate histories of the 10 member countries. This will make it easier to develop an understanding among the countries."

Meanwhile, Chalida Tajaroensuk, director of People's Empowerment Foundation, called for a "people's history".

"There have been many good examples of the Asean people, but they have not been talked about that much. For instance, not many people know that during the dispute over the Preah Vihear temple on the Thai-Cambodian border, people from both countries living near the border worked together to search for facts and find ways to end the dispute," she said.

Chalida added that accounts like this would help Asean people to understand each other and make adjustments.

The UNDP will include data from the seminar in its Human Development Report, while the TRF will make the information public via its newsletter.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-08

"Not all Asean countries are in the Southeast Asian region, so the history of Asean and Southeast Asea should be separated, an academic said at a recent discussion."

What is this "academic" on about? The members are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, and Thailand. All members are clearly in Southeast Asia. Perhaps he mixed up is words a bit, and meant to say that not all countries in the Southeast Asia region, East Timor for example, are Asean countries?

• Like 2

Professor Thanet's statement that we don't have to look at "ancient history" to understand the history of ASEAN is very revealing. Clearly, he wishes to avoid any discussion of pre-1960 history in the region. However, even if he wishes to limit the subject to ASEAN itself, any proper study would have to examine the historical context in which the organization came into existence. World,War II , for example, is certainly relevant, and hardly qualifies as " ancient history."

As for his bizarre distinction between ASEAN and Southeast Asian nations, post here is right on the money. The distinction is both arbitrary and absurd.

"Not all Asean countries are in the Southeast Asian region, so the history of Asean and Southeast Asea should be separated, an academic said at a recent discussion."

What is this "academic" on about? The members are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Vietnam, and Thailand. All members are clearly in Southeast Asia. Perhaps he mixed up is words a bit, and meant to say that not all countries in the Southeast Asia region, East Timor for example, are Asean countries?

• Like 1

This "academic" sounded like a retard. Not surprising for Thailand. My parrot says more intelligent things than this guy

All academics are short of some thing above the shoulders. they can analyze it dissect it until they are barbequed and it will not have one bit of effect on ASEAN On the other hand it will keep them occupied and out of trouble when it comes to issues that do matter.

Issue is, if they all sit around the table and actually discuss the history that they have been taught, it will all become patently obvious that they have all been lied to for donkeys years.

No one started a war, everyone only defended themself and all won....

This "academic" sounded like a retard. Not surprising for Thailand. My parrot says more intelligent things than this guy

All academics are short of some thing above the shoulders. they can analyze it dissect it until they are barbequed and it will not have one bit of effect on ASEAN On the other hand it will keep them occupied and out of trouble when it comes to issues that do matter.

Many many academics produce things that contribute great things to humanity. Science, medicine, agriculture, philosophy, peace, etc, etc. Many of them are Nobel Laureates.

Thai academics seem to come up with bizarrre stuff though. Anyone recall the academic claiming the Lost City of Atlantis is near Chiang Mai?

What Thailand lack are innovative academics, although some of the physicians have published quite decent articles in internationally respected journals

• Like 1

I think he is wanting to write a cross regional history about the countries within the ASEAN block and how they have interacted within each other over the past century. This is a legitimate area of research if he is looking for common themes and how economic or social upheaval in one country affected those around them. This has been done many times with regard to recent European history, as well as to how the crusades caused chaos and change both in Europe and the Middle East. The people's history is also nothing new, there have been many similar studies in the west, some good some bad. Of course they could be looking to write some bland bonding piece on how we are in the same boat. I hope not though.

I think those academic b***tches don't want the new generation to question political stances towards other regions (e.g. PAD and that historic temple dispute). If people found out, something is fishy and has been terribly rugged under the table, it's for those academic Top to bottom dudes like losing face, when the younger generation questions things all of a sudden...

I think what these dudes are trying to do is to insult the intelligence of the growing revolutionairy young generations who have evolved OUTSIDE of academic institutes, who gain all their knowledge through internet, facebook etc. anyway....

School sucks, that's a fact almost world wide, if you don't agree, watch the "College Conspiracy" on youtube, it's not only about Thailand... but worldwide....

Issue is, if they all sit around the table and actually discuss the history that they have been taught, it will all become patently obvious that they have all been lied to for donkeys years.

Bingo.

Some made friends with China, some made friends with japan, but no one sold their soul, and Thailand is the best because we were never colonized and kicked everyone ass, but gave away half the country through our munificence.

I think he is wanting to write a cross regional history about the countries within the ASEAN block and how they have interacted within each other over the past century. This is a legitimate area of research if he is looking for common themes and how economic or social upheaval in one country affected those around them. This has been done many times with regard to recent European history, as well as to how the crusades caused chaos and change both in Europe and the Middle East. The people's history is also nothing new, there have been many similar studies in the west, some good some bad. Of course they could be looking to write some bland bonding piece on how we are in the same boat. I hope not though.

I think he wants them to not dare to write a version that diverges from what kids are taught in Thai school.

which to be honest, is a very cookie version of south east Asian history.

I have always said the majority of them are as thick as sh-t,now I have proof from a prof

Edited by starkey_rich

Bingo.

Some made friends with China, some made friends with japan, but no one sold their soul, and Thailand is the best because we were never colonized and kicked everyone ass, but gave away half the country through our munificence.

Thailand weakened Japan in the second worldwar so much that China and USA could win easily...

Told in Thai School....

• Like 1

Bingo.

Thailand weakened Japan in the second worldwar so much that China and USA could win easily...

Told in Thai School....

Yeah, I heard those Japanese soldiers were all spent. :rolleyes:

Does your parrot post on Thaivisa or did it shout 'idiots' and shit on the keyboard?

It shouts idiot at people who ask stupid questions. I think it yelled when I read your post to it. My parrot is probably smarter than lots of people here.

Does your parrot post on Thaivisa or did it shout 'idiots' and shit on the keyboard?

It shouts idiot at people who ask stupid questions. I think it yelled when I read your post to it. My parrot is probably smarter than lots of people here.

What's a parrot??????

• Like 1

"We cannot tell the same story when talking about Asean and Southeast Asia in terms of history. Asean was established only about 45 years ago, while Southeast Asia existed well before that."

Academics make this kind of statements? In Thailand? Expats, how do you provide some sort of education to your kids in the classrooms of Thai academics?

Dunno about that, I'm sure there's a smart cock-or-two here. :rolleyes:

• Like 1

What Thailand lack are innovative academics, although some of the physicians have published quite decent articles in internationally respected journals

The you might be surprised by the high degree of respect as well as the accolades bestowed upon Achaan Thongchai Winichakul by his academic peers after the publishing of his book Siam Mapped, which is very much a historical look back on both Thai and Southeast Asian perceptions of "nation".

But yes, the headline here makes the hapless Professor Thanet look a bit foolish although my guess is that the actual paper presented was far more nuanced than the headline and the article suggest.

History, as an academic subject, is as poorly presented in the Thai high schools as it is in the western high schools, and perhaps a tad more poorly. Although here in the US we racing towards the bottom to catch up with Thailand as far as the lack of historical knowledge obtained in public schooling.