Chalong Temple Plant Fair

petercallen

We were there at about lunchtime yesterday and there were not many people there, usually a lor busier in the evening

My wife bargains on the price anywhere she goes,early is better the vendors are more willing to negotiate prices

Try checking the prices at the end of the fair just before they have to pack up.

The fair is a big gala event for the locals & Burmese workers who flock there in the evenings to shop, eat & take in the shows. I have previously heard of people living nearby moving away while the fair is on due to the excessive noise which runs until late at night or early morning.

• Like 1

We were there at about lunchtime yesterday and there were not many people there, usually a lor busier in the evening

My wife bargains on the price anywhere she goes,early is better the vendors are more willing to negotiate prices

Try checking the prices at the end of the fair just before they have to pack up.

The fair is a big gala event for the locals & Burmese workers who flock there in the evenings to shop, eat & take in the shows. I have previously heard of people living nearby moving away while the fair is on due to the excessive noise which runs until late at night or early morning.

Everything is cheaper when a show is ending,the vendors do not want to cart there stock back home

In the beginning there is a much larger selection, my wife bought some plants that had buds but no flowers

for half the price of the flowering ones and these now have flowers on them in one day

I have a look with her in the beginning and find somewhere to sit in the shade while she negotiates the price

and being a genuine buyer the vendors are happy to give her a discount

I am just the bloke who helps to bring them home

The selection of plants is excellent. You will find plants there that are unavailable anywhere else on the island.

But, beware. Many of the plants are brought down from the North of Thailand. They look great when you buy them, but, will eventually die as they aren't suited to the southern climate.

I recommend buying Bromeliads as they do survive well and I usually pick up a couple that cannot be found on Phuket in the many nurseries.

We went today around noon. It was very nice. We picked up quite a bit of stuff, as we are re-doing our garden area. The prices were good, and like Peter said, they were willing to negotiate. A very nice afternoon.

We went today around noon. It was very nice. We picked up quite a bit of stuff, as we are re-doing our garden area. The prices were good, and like Peter said, they were willing to negotiate. A very nice afternoon.

WE went again today as well because my wife who is the gardening expert could not buy all the plants she wanted on our first visit

She still could not get a couple of plants she wanted because there are a lot more real buyers

The vendors she regularly deals with offered to deliver them to our house for 250 baht when they have them

To me that is a good deal

Being a novice, at BEST, gardner. Is now a good time to plant tomatoes? or is it not really important?

Plant them now, in the monsoon season all the pollen is washed away and you wil get no fruit

Will this matter, as I will plant them in a pot on a balcony? We have no garden in the condo

Thanks in advance

Being a novice, at BEST, gardner. Is now a good time to plant tomatoes? or is it not really important?

Plant them now, in the monsoon season all the pollen is washed away and you wil get no fruit

Will this matter, as I will plant them in a pot on a balcony? We have no garden in the condo

Thanks in advance

When my wife's family came down for New Years in January, they put a bunch of tomato seeds in a pot and now we have some good starts. I need to get some soil and mulch and get them planted now. So yes, plant them now.

Thanks in advance

The dew in the monsoon season wases the pollen away as well, also the ants carry it away you need to hand pollinate early in the morning

A soft haired artists or ladies makeup brush is ideal for this

OK, how do I do this!

You need a brush with soft hairs a artists squirrel hair brush works well, the smaller the flower the smaller the brush

just brush the middle of the flowers l at the same time to transfer the pollen,Tomato flowers are bisexual you just need to

transfer the pollen, they do not have male and female flowers like some plants