Bangkok Governor Candidate Sukhumbhand Resorts To Profanity

webfact

BKK GOVERNOR RACE

Sukhumbhand resorts to profanity

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Democrat Party's Bangkok governor candidate MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra lost his temper during his election campaign last night.

Enraged by a question from the audience on the party’s choice for this governor race and conflicts behind, he succumbed to profanity. He repetitively used "Koo", a Thai pronoun for "me" which is generally barred in public.

newsjs

"Asking me whether I would leave the party, it’s a contempt from someome who dares not to speak out. Why asking this question? It’s an insult. I belong to the party, I love the party, I risked my life for the party. Where would I go? If I leave, I would quit the Democrat Party.

"Asking this question is damn contempt. Don’t insult "Koo" again because "Koo" belong to Democrat Party," he said.

The speech was videotaped and the part showing profanity is now on Youtube. At 3pm, the clip has attracted over 17,000 views.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-09

Well that's him finished then.

Corruption, cheating and lying is fine but who is going to vote for a potty mouth?

The late Samak could be quite down to earth as well if memory serves me.

Anyway the election campaign starts to get interesting. What will be next? One of the Police General candidates saying "I'm an honest policeman" rolleyes.gif

• Like 1

Well that's him finished then.

Corruption, cheating and lying is fine but who is going to vote for a potty mouth?

The late Samak could be quite down to earth as well if memory serves me.

Anyway the election campaign starts to get interesting. What will be next? One of the Police General candidates saying "I'm an honest policeman" rolleyes.gif

Down to earth. That's generous.

I never understood Goo to be a profanity. Goo (I/me), Mun ('it' for he or she) and Mng (you) are commonly used and can be heard everywhere daily. Admittedly mostly by lower and middle class but rather standard. You certainly won't hear villagers use phom or dichan very often!

A little crass of him to use it but it's not exactly swearing.

• Like 1

I never understood Goo to be a profanity. Goo (I/me), Mun ('it' for he or she) and Mng (you) are commonly used and can be heard everywhere daily. Admittedly mostly by lower and middle class but rather standard. You certainly won't hear villagers use phom or dichan very often!

A little crass of him to use it but it's not exactly swearing.

It's not the word itself, but who you say it to. But nothing wrong with the way he said it.

• Like 1

Great, I now learned a new Thai word.

Lesson Number Two will be to approach a bunch of motorcycle taxi lads and use the next word in the series "Mung"

I guess you haven't tried it yet, because you're still alive. LOL.

Haha. Yes, they can (and do) call each other that but I wouldn't like be the foreigner waltzing up to them and saying 'mung take me to Ekkamai'. Life's too precious.

• Like 1

There has been talk that MR S has been the subject of some controversy within 'the party'. He might be feeling that this is the time to firm up future career options --

Too bad he didn't so loudly proclaim his allegience to his constituents as he has to his political betters.

'Goo' and 'mung' are rude....... 'goo' is sometimes used between friends in an informal setting but is generally frowned upon...'mung' can be insulting to use on somebody else........... these words are best avoided guys, just stick to 'pom / chan' and kun.

Taxi drivers who don't seem to understand much English address me as You...so if i was to address them with the Thai equivalent pronoun (mung) they would get mad?

In my experience (limited to Bangkok I must admit) taxi drivers only get upset when you really, really insist they use their meter wink.png

Taxi drivers who don't seem to understand much English address me as You...so if i was to address them with the Thai equivalent pronoun (mung) they would get mad?

Err...... yes they would.... there are many Thai equivalents of 'you' ... some polite, some not so polite, and some very bad.

Unless the taxi driver is already calling you 'a$$hole' I wouldn't try it! Khun is the word for you. Saying 'mng' would be like saying 'hey, prick' (or worse).