Price Of Water From Water Company?

GuestHouse

Can anyone help with information on the price of water from the Water Companies in Thailand (City Supply Through the Mains)?

I'd like to know the price per cubic meter (M3)?

Alternatively in Litres, the price for 10,000 litres?

I'm calculating the cost of water versus the cost of installing water tanks/rain collection/bore holes and need the above information to determine if there is a benefit.

The location is up norht (not Pattaya) so reliability of supply and reliability of rain is not a problem.

Edited by GuestHouse

Around here its about 5 bhat a unit, one unit is 1 cubic meter of 1000 liters, If the house it out in the sticks the water will probably come from a "local" system, here each (well most) villagess (moo bann's) have their own bore hole supplying the village I belive they can set their own price (within reason) some palces will have a lake instead of the bore hole.

It just depends on how much water you use weather drilling a bore is worthwhile or not, most normal domestic use its not really worth it and people tent to drill them more for the reliable avalibility of water than for cost savings. Keping rainwater has got to be worth it as it's free (well you have to buy the tanks) most people around here mainly use the rain water for drinking and the mains for washing/showering ect.

There a thread strarted by me here http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=52199&hl=

looking at the costs for the other angle i.e how much it costs in electricity for pumping it may be of intrest, in a nut shell I recon its about 46 satang a unit about 10% of the cost of bought water.

My bore hole (60 meters) pump and tanks cost around 80,000 bhat but we use a LOT of water, just the farm, house and shop use around 5-6 units a day (mostly on the farm) thats without irrigation or topping up my fish pond which can raise it to about 50 units a day. Initially the main reason for putting it in was the need for a reliable supply as we were overtaxing the local supply and were prone to having days where there was just no water (big prob on the farm, thirsty cows dont give very good milk :o ) Well's are a lot cheaper than bore holes if its sutible in your area.

RC

Can anyone help with information on the price of water from the Water Companies in Thailand (City Supply Through the Mains)?

I'd like to know the price per cubic meter (M3)?

Alternatively in Litres, the price for 10,000 litres?

I'm calculating the cost of water versus the cost of installing water tanks/rain collection/bore holes and need the above information to determine if there is a benefit.

The location is up norht (not Pattaya) so reliability of supply and reliability of rain is not a problem.

Hi Guesthouse

I live in the Central region and we are always short of water at least 3 months of the year. this week we have had no mains supply for 3 days now and though I have 14 x 2,000 litre storage tanks I also have around 14 people living on the site.

The tanks are a nominal 2,000 litres but around 1,600 is usable due to the exit pipe being about 10 inches up the tank.

I have been on at my wife for a couple of months now to expand the storage by another 8 tanks (each tank cost 600 baht plus 100 baht for the cover) but it is a case of mai pen rai.

We also want to build 2 big storage tanks for irrigation on the farm to give us an extra 30,000 litres (almost) for irrigation but the same mai pen rai.

Most of the crops have died due to the lack of water and we cannot drill a borehole due the land being rock a little way down, the same for a well.

We do collect the rainwater from the roof into a couple of 3,000 litre stainles steel storage tanks which we use for drinking.

Before you install storage tanks you really need to know your average monthly water consumption and figure out how often it does not rain and for how long.

I don't know where you live but get your wife to ask around and see who has a borehole and/or a well and check out the cost.

There was a thread last year about boreholes etc and the government was concerned that too many people were drilling and it may cause subsidence but if like me you live near a small village with not so many people it will not be a problem.

Also get your wife to check at the local amphur as they may have a restriction or not and the may be able to put you onto someone.

We have a petrol driven water pump and managed to get water from the local stream for a couple of days but that has almost dried up as well.

Best of luck.

Our small village charges 3 baht per cubic meter. At that rate it is difficult to consider alternative sources EXCEPT that the village water is VERY hard and full of minerals. We do have 4,000 liters of rain water storage and I want to increase that before the rainy season. Rain water is soft and much better for taking a shower, washing clothes and making coffee. We use an average of 1,000 liters a day mostly for watering the trees and the garden.

Our small village charges 3 baht per cubic meter. At that rate it is difficult to consider alternative sources EXCEPT that the village water is VERY hard and full of minerals. We do have 4,000 liters of rain water storage and I want to increase that before the rainy season. Rain water is soft and much better for taking a shower, washing clothes and making coffee. We use an average of 1,000 liters a day mostly for watering the trees and the garden.

Just had my water bill..for the last months usage. We live edge of BK/Nonthaburi

It was for 63 Units..Cubic Meters...nearly all went on the garden!!

Cost of Raw water to Water Company.......9.45

Cost of making this into drinking water.....598.6

Cost of service.......................................40.0

Tax........................................................40.36

Total................................693.41

So works ot at about 10Baht/Cu M

So no point in us catching rainwater

ps the water company works is only a few Kms from us..if that makes any difference