Cnx-Ubon Ratchathani No More (Air Asia)?

ovenman

Was just looking to book a trip from Chiang Mai to Ubon Ratchathani and return for later this year on the non-stop AirAsia flight, only to find that the flight appears to be discontinued as of the end of February. Has anybody heard anything about this?

I think that they only run this route in the winter months. I guess it is mainly targeting Isaan families who want to holiday in Chiang Mai. That demographic appeared to be the bulk of the passengers when I flew that route in early January.

I think that they only run this route in the winter months. I guess it is mainly targeting Isaan families who want to holiday in Chiang Mai. That demographic appeared to be the bulk of the passengers when I flew that route in early January.

Nooooooooo, Airasia has stopped the Ubon - Phuket flight also to take care of the Chinese routes. sad.png

I wish they'd have a better link-up with their overseas flights to and from CNX-KUL.

Quite a bind having to arrive at KUL at 13:00 and wait for a 20:00 departure.

Their hotel at KUL is not exactly cheap, but works out ok when you subtract the taxi fares. .

I wish they'd have a better link-up with their overseas flights to and from CNX-KUL.

Quite a bind having to arrive at KUL at 13:00 and wait for a 20:00 departure.

Their hotel at KUL is not exactly cheap, but works out ok when you subtract the taxi fares. .

At least it's now a twice-daily connection, rather than once-daily, one can only hope that it will continue to improve so that there are more fly-through options onto their long-haul routes.

Edited by Ricardo

we bought about 5 tickets on the ubon/cm route last year in their sale for some ridiculous price of about 200bt each, for the last day of this month. (to bring the in laws over)

last week Air Asia called us to confirm the flights would be no longer operational from the day our tickets were valid.

for those who had tickets they would still honour the flight but it would have to be via bkk, then to Ubon. (on the same date)

option 2, they would allow a credit against any other Air Asia flight within 3 months..ie upto end of May.

Option 3, they would only refund money if the flight paid for was a March or April flight but not the date we chose; sounded like a lame excuse.

anyway....maybe a credit against a trip to Bali instead; leave the in laws burning their rice crops.

every cloud has a silver lining, thats all I saythumbsup.gif

we bought about 5 tickets on the ubon/cm route last year in their sale for some ridiculous price of about 200bt each, for the last day of this month. (to bring the in laws over)

last week Air Asia called us to confirm the flights would be no longer operational from the day our tickets were valid.

for those who had tickets they would still honour the flight but it would have to be via bkk, then to Ubon. (on the same date)

option 2, they would allow a credit against any other Air Asia flight within 3 months..ie upto end of May.

Option 3, they would only refund money if the flight paid for was a March or April flight but not the date we chose; sounded like a lame excuse.

anyway....maybe a credit against a trip to Bali instead; leave the in laws burning their rice crops.

every cloud has a silver lining, thats all I saythumbsup.gif

Just more of Air Asia's renowned disregard for passengers. Hidden costs unreliable service. Two out of three times coming back from Bali had the flight in Bangkok to Chiang Mai canceled. Last time I flew with them in to Swampy I was hurting and needed a wheelchair whi9ch I had ordered when I booked and mentioned when I checked in. Arrived at Swampy and was told it would be a half hour wait.

If going to Bali the last time I went I flew with Singapore Air 500 baht cheaper then. 20 kilo baggage limit treated like a valued customer.

I always wondered how could the route CNX - UBP be profitable, so it is no surprise to me that it has now been cancelled.

Indeed the Chinese routes are those which generate the biggest profit for TAA, as well as the domestic tourist trunk routes BKK-CNX and BKK-HKT, even though in many cases other airlines (Bangkok Air) are cheaper than TAA if you include all the fees that TAA imposes.....

I always wondered how could the route CNX - UBP be profitable, so it is no surprise to me that it has now been cancelled.

Indeed the Chinese routes are those which generate the biggest profit for TAA, as well as the domestic tourist trunk routes BKK-CNX and BKK-HKT, even though in many cases other airlines (Bangkok Air) are cheaper than TAA if you include all the fees that TAA imposes.....

So why do they set these routes up in the first place, first Ubon - Puk, which l could never see it paying for itself, then Ubon - CM rolleyes.gif .

PS. I was on the first flight from Ubon - CM, perhaps the Certificate I was given will now be a collectors item laugh.png