Caltex Gas Stations Get Me Every Time

dave111223

RANT WARNING:

I never normally use Caltex, but when I do have the misfortune of stopping there for gas I always manage to end up with the premium.

Firstly there are no prices on the pumps, and the gas has various names like "Hi-techo" and "Gold" etc.. position of the pumps seems to have no bearing on the price.

No matter what I say to the pump monkey he manages to do a switcheroo and start pumping the premium gas, which is about 30% more expensive. I say in Thai "Gasahol 95 tamada tuuk sut, dem tank" and some how he manages to translate that into "He wants the most expensive one".

And then when I see the final price and piss and moan about it they always tell "Oh, this IS the normal one, did you mean the other normal one?"

I just despise companies who's marketing strategy is to trick, con and bamboozle customers into buying a higher prices product that they did not want. It happens every time at any Caltex station so is obviously a directive handed down from the top.

I normally stop at PPT and have never been conned or tricked, and get a couple of free waters each time.

END RANT

• Like 1

So who is the monkey then, the guy pumping or the one taking zero notice of what is being pumped................

50-50. But also let me point out that even when the per unit price is displayed only the one being pumped is displayed, the other pumps still remain blank (so you have no reference point to compare the price to).

Anyways I will vote with my feet and make a more serious mental note never to stop there again.

I normally go out of my way to fill up at a Caltex station, since I think they are superior to PTT, but that's a personal opinion of course.

However I have never noticed they had a premium Gasohol 95 and a regular Gasohol 95.

I think Shell they have something like that but last I recall from it is that it's an about 3 Baht premium, which I hardly would call 30 % , since 95 Gasohol these days is close to 40 Baht a liter.

I normally go out of my way to fill up at a Caltex station, since I think they are superior to PTT, but that's a personal opinion of course.

However I have never noticed they had a premium Gasohol 95 and a regular Gasohol 95.

I think Shell they have something like that but last I recall from it is that it's an about 3 Baht premium, which I hardly would call 30 % , since 95 Gasohol these days is close to 40 Baht a liter.

The one I was hit up today was 48baht per litre, compares to the 37baht regular.

So you drive into the petrol station completely unaware of the price of Gasahol 95 and yet you need to rant about the "Monkey" pumping the wrong gas and then come here whinging you paid "30% more"............... how do you know you paid 30% more if you have no idea what the price per litre is.

The hide of some people, seriously.

I normally don't look at the price per litre, but know that it costs about 1100-1200 to fill up my car....once the totally starts to hit 1600 i'm thinking <deleted>! At which point I stop the guy and specifically point and ask the price for each pump (which is still not displayed)... at which point I discover the regular (that I specifically asked for) is 37baht, the premium that he put in is 48, by my calculations that is about 30% more.

Edited by dave111223

Caltex is Chevron yeah ?

Maybe the monkey is pumping 95 Benzine rather than 95 gasohol, but thats only 20% more expensive so <deleted> knows what is being pumped at 30% more expensive. can anyone confirm what the OP is asking for with the Thai/English blurb he claims to be asking for.

ThailandFuelPrices_zps2c7ecf9c.jpg

• Like 1

So you drive into the petrol station completely unaware of the price of Gasahol 95 and yet you need to rant about the "Monkey" pumping the wrong gas and then come here whinging you paid "30% more"............... how do you know you paid 30% more if you have no idea what the price per litre is.

The hide of some people, seriously.

I normally don't look at the price per litre, but know that it costs about 1100-1200 to fill up my car....once the totally starts to hit 1600 i'm thinking <deleted>! At which point I stop the guy and specifically point and ask the price for each pump (which is still not displayed)... at which point I discover the regular (that I specifically asked for) is 37baht, the premium that he put in is 48, by my calculations that is about 30% more.

In the OP you claim you ask for Gaohol 95, which is 39.43 Baht not 37 Baht.

When you say the one you got was 48 Baht then it seems he pumped Gasoline 95.As Aussiebebe already said, I can find gasoline either 91 or 95 anywhere since a few weeks, so it surprises me they still have it.

I guess you should just ask for Gasohol, without the " tamadaa " added , as that would confuse them that you ask for standard gasoline instead of Gasohol.

• Like 1

My guess? The pumper operator has no idea what you're saying... but since you're trying to be so wordy, assumes you must be trying to say you want the good stuff...

Try this next time: "gasohon gao sip hah, dem tung krup."

If you feel like they still haven't quite understood, add on: "Mai ow benzene krup."

• Like 1

I guess you should just ask for Gasohol, without the " tamadaa " added , as that would confuse them that you ask for standard gasoline instead of Gasohol.

Yep, the 'tumada' is just wrong to say as it suggests you want regular gasoline, and by the time they hear 'tuuk sut' their eyes are just glazing over, because he's already asked for 95....

So there is actually no such thing as a "Regular" versus "Premium" gasohol 95?

If so I can understand how my use of the "Tamada" ("normal") could be confusing, as this only makes sense if there is a (premium, "not normal" version)?

Are benzine 95 and gasohol 95 compatible (ie will not damage an engine that has only been running on gasohol 95 all it's life)?

If so I can understand how my use of the "Tamada" ("normal") could be confusing, as this only makes sense if there is a (premium, "not normal" version)?

I feel you should return to said Caltex and apologise for calling the lowly paid worker a monkey, he is only there to serve the customer and in this instance it appears he was doing as asked.

I feel you should return to said Caltex and apologise for calling the lowly paid worker a monkey, he is only there to serve the customer and in this instance it appears he was doing as asked.

No he did not do as asked. Please re-read what I said to him. Sentence included gasohol 95, and the cheapest one.

If he was confused that I asked him for the "normal gasohol 95" any normal "person" would communicate that did not understand, instead a monkey would grab any old pump and stick it in.

And then when I asked him "*<deleted>* Why I did you pump the most expensive one" he smiled and said "Yes this one is very expensive"...sorry still a monkey in my book.

And I suppose I am also a monkey for thinking there was a premium gasohol 95, but does not make him less of one.

Edited by dave111223
  • Like 1

The Caltex station near me has the prices on a sign outside against a colour coded symbol of the grade so as their are only two 95 grades the OP only has to note the colour of gasohol pull up at the right pump get out of his vehicle and point to the coloured symbol he wants then indicate how much he wants with his fingers or uplift of the hand if fill up, once the 'Monkey' has selected the correct gun at which time the OP can correct it if wrong no need for any speech Thai, English, German or whatever when finished hand over the amount wait for any change if necessary then back in the vehicle and leave pretty simple and basic of course a thankyou in any language would be courteous.

• Like 2

My guess? The pumper operator has no idea what you're saying... but since you're trying to be so wordy, assumes you must be trying to say you want the good stuff...

Try this next time: "gasohon gao sip hah, dem tung krup."

If you feel like they still haven't quite understood, add on: "Mai ow benzene krup."

I just say "sohol kao nüng, tem tank na krup." Never had a problem.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

The Caltex station near me has the prices on a sign outside against a colour coded symbol of the grade so as their are only two 95 grades the OP only has to note the colour of gasohol pull up at the right pump get out of his vehicle and point to the coloured symbol he wants then indicate how much he wants with his fingers or uplift of the hand if fill up, once the 'Monkey' has selected the correct gun at which time the OP can correct it if wrong no need for any speech Thai, English, German or whatever when finished hand over the amount wait for any change if necessary then back in the vehicle and leave pretty simple and basic of course a thankyou in any language would be courteous.

These signs are simply confusing, especially when approaching at speed.

But yes, the OP confused the attendent by adding 'tamada', and has now made his engine happy. And no, of course the attendent doesn't ask what he meant because he knows that won't lead to an answer he can understand and that simply is not Thai style.

I just say "sohol kao nüng, tem tank na krup." Never had a problem.

If it works it works smile.png But as a general rule I don't think that Wetserners should go too Thai and shorten words like that - some Thai's are very sensitive to incorrect pronunciation..

Also, it's not "tank", it's: < Thai script removed > / thang (pronounced 'tarng' for Brits or 'tung' for Americans and Aussies) - it might sound like it's a loan word, but it's not..

Sorry, end of Thai lessons biggrin.png

Edited by metisdead

It works for me. Biggest problem with writing Thai using western alphabet is that pronounciation changes with whatever your reference language is. Mine is german.... (poor excuse, I know)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

It works for me. Biggest problem with writing Thai using western alphabet is that pronounciation changes with whatever your reference language is. Mine is german.... (poor excuse, I know)

If you're German, the official transliteration scheme probably works best for you (in this case: thang)?

Well I still learn something everyday. No more "tamada" at the gas pump.

You probably will find it only effectively cost you a little more as you get much better (about 10%) better economy with regular 95 as against gasahol.

At least there is a silver liner :)