Caltex Gas Stations Get Me Every Time

dave111223

Seriously the pumps are not displaying the price per litre, I find that very hard to believe.

Nope they display blank until they pumping starts.

Kee Kwai! I use Caltex regularly, been to 20 different stations and never had a problem.

Seriously the pumps are not displaying the price per litre, I find that very hard to believe.

Nope they display blank until they pumping starts.

Kee Kwai! I use Caltex regularly, been to 20 different stations and never had a problem.

same here . it is colour coded so i tell them and point to which one i like. op might have said sii luang.( only joking )

It works for me. Biggest problem with writing Thai using western alphabet is that pronounciation changes with whatever your reference language is. Mine is german.... (poor excuse, I know)

If you're German, the official transliteration scheme probably works best for you (in this case: thang)?

Lets end it at this, I say exactly what the wife told me to and it works.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Well I still learn something everyday. No more "tamada" at the gas pump.

You probably will find it only effectively cost you a little more as you get much better (about 10%) better economy with regular 95 as against gasahol.

At least there is a silver liner smile.png

I agree about the pump monkeys, never had a problem myself but they are what they are - pump monkeys!!

It is all SOOOO much easier when you drive a big stinking diesel.

The only Caltex station I used was around 2am, heading north out of Bangkok when I was running on vapours in the wife's CR-V. Trying to find the right fuel grade and pump was a bit of a lottery as their illumination and signage was totally crap and the 'dek pump'* was half asleep. I have avoided Caltex ever since as I assumed they would be all similarly grotty. I have to admit that for uniformity of branding nationwide, you can't really beat PTT. And their crappers tend to be well tended too. And then they have 7-eleven's....

* politically correct term for the 'pump monkey'

Edited by NanLaew

Caltex is Chevron yeah ?

Maybe the monkey is pumping 95 Benzine rather than 95 gasohol, but thats only 20% more expensive so <deleted> knows what is being pumped at 30% more expensive. can anyone confirm what the OP is asking for with the Thai/English blurb he claims to be asking for.

ThailandFuelPrices_zps2c7ecf9c.jpg

Hopefully we will soon have 50 baht 95 Benzine. Just need crude oil at $135....sweet times!

Hopefully we will soon have 50 baht 95 Benzine. Just need crude oil at $135....sweet times!

Already do... those EPPO prices are baseline BKK prices - upcountry and even within BKK itself they're often much higher.

Already do... those EPPO prices are baseline BKK prices - upcountry and even within BKK itself they're often much higher.

In general, the higher upcountry, the most expensive my Vpower becomes... Up to 33.09 THB per liter in Mae Sot! I figure they compute in the transportation costs?

In general, the higher upcountry, the most expensive my Vpower becomes... Up to 33.09 THB per liter in Mae Sot! I figure they compute in the transportation costs?

Yep, that and competition pressures (lack of)...

Ohh, really? That is great news, you just made my morning coffee taste a bit better, thanks. Back to work at the rig.

Ohh, really? That is great news, you just made my morning coffee taste a bit better, thanks. Back to work at the rig.

Heheheh, well I'm sure you get some posters who'll take your bait ;)

I only have one car that drinks gasoline, and if I was worried about how much it used I wouldn't have bought it in the first place ;)

Every time I read about businesses who try to trick customers into giving them more money, I avoid, as well as Caltex, you have Agoda, who quote you the price for a hotel room minus the tax which is in small print. there is plenty of competition for petrol and hotels, so there is no need to give your'e custom to the likes of Caltex and Agoda.

If so I can understand how my use of the "Tamada" ("normal") could be confusing, as this only makes sense if there is a (premium, "not normal" version)?

I feel you should return to said Caltex and apologise for calling the lowly paid worker a monkey, he is only there to serve the customer and in this instance it appears he was doing as asked.

No he did not do as asked. Please re-read what I said to him. Sentence included gasohol 95, and the cheapest one.

If he was confused that I asked him for the "normal gasohol 95" any normal "person" would communicate that did not understand, instead a monkey would grab any old pump and stick it in.

And then when I asked him "*<deleted>* Why I did you pump the most expensive one" he smiled and said "Yes this one is very expensive"...sorry still a monkey in my book.

And I suppose I am also a monkey for thinking there was a premium gasohol 95, but does not make him less of one.

I agree with you Dave.

I have an old Toyota Corona with LPG conversion, for normal petrol, I always used 91 red which I now understand is being phased out. Can anyone tell me if it is OK to use 95 red? Taking into account I only use little petrol because I have LPG, will 95 red damage my engine?

The Caltex station near me has the prices on a sign outside against a colour coded symbol of the grade so as their are only two 95 grades the OP only has to note the colour of gasohol pull up at the right pump get out of his vehicle and point to the coloured symbol he wants then indicate how much he wants with his fingers or uplift of the hand if fill up, once the 'Monkey' has selected the correct gun at which time the OP can correct it if wrong no need for any speech Thai, English, German or whatever when finished hand over the amount wait for any change if necessary then back in the vehicle and leave pretty simple and basic of course a thankyou in any language would be courteous.

These signs are simply confusing, especially when approaching at speed.

But yes, the OP confused the attendent by adding 'tamada', and has now made his engine happy. And no, of course the attendent doesn't ask what he meant because he knows that won't lead to an answer he can understand and that simply is not Thai style.

Yes, the signs are confusing, it is a deliberate ploy to make you part with more of your'e money.

I went to a Caltex yesterday, the prices are clearly shown on the pumps.

One in question was across from Tesco Wanghin, Bangkok. Good to hear that they've added the prices to the pumps now.

It's also a handy gas station as there is no ATM on site so you are forced to hand the pump flunky a credit card....

So you like to expose yourself to possible credit card fraud as well as getting the wrong fuel.

Wow! Never thought of that. TWO chances of getting f*cked at the gas station in LOS.

Better go home where getting the wrong fuel is never an issue because YOU HAVE TO GET OUT AND PUMP YOUR OWN. Yes, it's much easier back home where credit card fraud is virtually unheard of.

I guess you should just ask for Gasohol, without the " tamadaa " added , as that would confuse them that you ask for standard gasoline instead of Gasohol.

Yep, the 'tumada' is just wrong to say as it suggests you want regular gasoline, and by the time they hear 'tuuk sut' their eyes are just glazing over, because he's already asked for 95....

Yes, ditch the thamada, just ask for gasahon 95 - problem solved; you big monkey... ;-0