52,000 Thai Workers Lose Jobs From Minimum Wage Hike

webfact

Noob7, we have been "picking up the work" for several years now. I am far from being retired and have went through a downsizing in the past few years. Same work load, but less employees. So everybody has to work harder.

"picking up the work" for several years now.

That is a process. Called progress.

Even in Thailand, it should happen, every now and then.

But to fire 10 or more % of the workers, to push the others, to do all the work, but not to have the time for the chitchat and hanging around in groups will result in resigning!

"10,989 resigned,"

Actually a good strategy, to get rid of the people, they don't need, and to hire Burmese or Lao, or .... people.

Here you already see, what can happen, in case ASEAN really opens the door.

But the good thing: most females are be able, to adopt the working skills needed. And the male can become taxidriver and start working on the image of Thailand!

coffee1.gif

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, I think we're on to something here. You know that there is a shortfall of recruits for the army and they are looking to include people who have gone through the cadets in the annual conscription procees to make up for the shortfall, well here you have the answer. Recruit all terminated workers under 30 years of age in the army.

I bet you would have loved to be made to go into the army if Government policy in your country made you lose your job. Leave your family and be killed, great idea please be the 1st to sign up.

3.737 people were sacked and they shared 1,13 Billion Baht? In one month? <deleted>. Those who resigned are not entitled to immediate compensation, nor are those who have not been fired yet! Something is very fishy here. Hmm, as usual when money is the issue in Thailand.

A Thai friend runs an employment agency in Ayuddhya serving the manufacturing companies. From his published advertisements a new employee will earn between 17k-20k per month for eight hour standard day plus 4 hour OT, six days per week.

Allowing for OT earnings at +50%standard rate that is about 405-476 baht per day.

So any talk of mass layoffs because of the 300 baht per day rule is nonsence as the market is above this rate anyway. And another point, even at 400+ baht a day, the factories are employing huge numbers of aliens (many legally, as I've seen piles of Cambodian passports with workpermits in the office) because they can't fufil the labour requirements using only Thai labour.

I don't see how you can make this between 400 and 500 baht/day as if they worked for 7 days a week without OT on a 31 day month on the higher figure of 500 baht per day they would only be earning 15,500 baht/month!!!!!

Because they are working with OT for four hours per day. Gives them over the 300 baht per day. Most manufacturing companies work 12-hour 6-day week shift patterns and staff are expected to agree to this.

• Like 1

A Thai friend runs an employment agency in Ayuddhya serving the manufacturing companies. From his published advertisements a new employee will earn between 17k-20k per month for eight hour standard day plus 4 hour OT, six days per week.

Allowing for OT earnings at +50%standard rate that is about 405-476 baht per day.

So any talk of mass layoffs because of the 300 baht per day rule is nonsence as the market is above this rate anyway. And another point, even at 400+ baht a day, the factories are employing huge numbers of aliens (many legally, as I've seen piles of Cambodian passports with workpermits in the office) because they can't fufil the labour requirements using only Thai labour.

I used to know a close family member giggle.gif of a person in a town "close" to Ayuddhya, who has a company that supplies labor for manufacturing companies, and all of this persons labor is illegal.... Girls lie...giggle.gif

There is undoubtably a lot of illegal workers in Thailand, we know that for sure. But a significant number of foreign workers are here legally, too. I would like to think that this because of pressure from the West on companies using illegal labour - I remember the clothing company GAP had a big problem a few years ago with sweat-shop suppliers and it negatively affected their sales whent got reported in the media.

One day I was at the employment agency and I helped sort out the Cambodian passports. They all contained valid visa stamps.

I used to know a close family member giggle.gif of a person in a town "close" to Ayuddhya, who has a company that supplies labor for manufacturing companies, and all of this persons labor is illegal.... Girls lie...giggle.gif

There is undoubtably a lot of illegal workers in Thailand, we know that for sure. But a significant number of foreign workers are here legally, too. I would like to think that this because of pressure from the West on companies using illegal labour - I remember the clothing company GAP had a big problem a few years ago with sweat-shop suppliers and it negatively affected their sales whent got reported in the media.

One day I was at the employment agency and I helped sort out the Cambodian passports. They all contained valid visa stamps.

29 boi projects with 500bn baht approved for khon kaen this year. Isaan is booming

The reality is a huge number of people still do not even know about the minimum wage rise, as a very large number do not read the papers or listen to the news.

None of my staff were aware of it, when i informed them of a pay rise, they were thrilled and from what i learned they still do not have a clue.

A number of people coming for an interview are asking below the new minimum, which only means they are also not aware.

One thing that has not been mentioned anywhere is that social security contribution has also gone up from 3% to 4% and now 5%

I have said it before but will say it again, i am all for wage rise, but what about quality of work?! I just fired a retard who asked for 10 000 baht, university educated, 40 years old and she could not take a food order(mind you the menu had numbers).

I am sure those who quit or were fired, were not useful or productive employees. Most businesses already paid above the minimum wage to good and loyal staff and those who just come, do nothing and go are simply not worth the money(they only add costs to the business without any benefit)

Thanks for bring a dose of fresh air to this thread. You big picture observation is spot on!

Just a few things

1. Wait and see how things unfold over the next 6 - 9 months in terms of workers and unemployment.

2. While there are worker shortages the reality is the majority of the thai workers out there do not have the skills to help push up productivity gains. Its basically just paying more and getting the lack of quality workforce as before.

3. The whole issue of the new wage was only for a populist policy. Wait till political turmoil happens again and then don't be surprised if the PTP comes back and say if you put us back in power we will increase the wage to 400 baht a day. Who knows maybe with enough political turmoils and constant PTP populist policies maybe thailand can get its minimum wage to 1,000 baht a day by 2020 just think of how great that would higher prices and more unemployment.

• Like 1

Just a few things

1. Wait and see how things unfold over the next 6 - 9 months in terms of workers and unemployment.

2. While there are worker shortages the reality is the majority of the thai workers out there do not have the skills to help push up productivity gains. Its basically just paying more and getting the lack of quality workforce as before.

3. The whole issue of the new wage was only for a populist policy. Wait till political turmoil happens again and then don't be surprised if the PTP comes back and say if you put us back in power we will increase the wage to 400 baht a day. Who knows maybe with enough political turmoils and constant PTP populist policies maybe thailand can get its minimum wage to 1,000 baht a day by 2020 just think of how great that would higher prices and more unemployment.

If what you said was true or even close to being true the auto companies like Ford, Honda and Mazda would all not be building new factories last year and this coming year. The factories only can exist if there are skilled small factories to feed all the parts they need.

Of course Thailand can use more skilled workers but the problem now is the common laborer and that is why so many Burmese are working in Thailand. Thais are not willing to do the menial jobs like maid and construction worker anymore.

Yes!!! especially if the workers are hard working unlike the lazy Thai's

Razor sharp analsis there. Have you thought of applying for a job with Al-Jazeera as their SE Asia pundit? laugh.png

Edited by mca

I don't see how you can make this between 400 and 500 baht/day as if they worked for 7 days a week without OT on a 31 day month on the higher figure of 500 baht per day they would only be earning 15,500 baht/month!!!!!

Because they are working with OT for four hours per day. Gives them over the 300 baht per day. Most manufacturing companies work 12-hour 6-day week shift patterns and staff are expected to agree to this.

"Allowing for OT earnings at +50%standard rate that is about 405-476 baht per day".

OK!!! you state that (on an average of the band you quoted) say, 450 baht/day for 6 days a week ie: 27 x 450 = 12,150 baht

Just how do you get this to 17,000 - 20,000 baht/month!!!!

Just wondering, who is doing the work of all this people, now.

Illegals?

No one?

But it's just to expect.

In the western world, a rise in minimum salary is affecting jobs from the minority of people, only

In Thailand, it is affecting the majority of all employeed people.

And with the price rally, it is affecting everyone in the kingdome!

That's not true, in France almost everyone has the minimum salary.

Are you saying that almost all workers in France are on the minimum wage rate?

If that's true no wonder you can't afford to pay the electric bill!

Razor sharp analsis there. Have you thought of applying for a job with Al-Jazeera as their SE Asia pundit? laugh.png

Let me restate this:

Workers from Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam etc: appear more willing than Thai's to put the effort in and are ready to accept lower salaries for doing a hard days work!!!

Let me restate this:

Workers from Burma, Cambodia, Vietnam etc: appear more willing than Thai's to put the effort in and are ready to accept lower salaries for doing a hard days work!!!

I would think you could say the same about Poland and another Western country eh?

Let me restate this:

I would think you could say the same about Poland and another Western country eh?

Yes!! I think that is fair.

One good thing is that the plumbers from England are upset about not being able to charge ludicrously extortionate amount of money for basic checks and repairs any more!!! When other people question my thinking on this (they say "it is not right that they should come over here and take our jobs") - I simply retort that "do they think that it is fair if plumbers/roofers/builders/washing machine repairers etc: come into an old age pensioners house, make some knocking noises, waggle a few things around, have a cup of tea and then repeat the process and charge them 100 pounds and wave good bye with a thank you for the tip!!!! That usually shuts them up.

Thanks to the Poles, they cannot be rip-off merchants any more as it is no longer the monopolised scam that it has been for decades!!!

Let me restate this:

Yes!! I think that is fair.

One good thing is that the plumbers from England are upset about not being able to charge ludicrously extortionate amount of money for basic checks and repairs any more!!! When other people question my thinking on this (they say "it is not right that they should come over here and take our jobs") - I simply retort that "do they think that it is fair if plumbers/roofers/builders/washing machine repairers etc: come into an old age pensioners house, make some knocking noises, waggle a few things around, have a cup of tea and then repeat the process and charge them 100 pounds and wave good bye with a thank you for the tip!!!! That usually shuts them up.

Thanks to the Poles, they cannot be rip-off merchants any more as it is no longer the monopolised scam that it has been for decades!!!

I thought is used to be a 'unionized' scam ?

• Like 1

A scam's a scam - they were able to get away with it (before the Poles came and offered their services for far fairer rates) as if you had a major water leak you had little alternative other than to call one of these criminals out and be charged silly money for a simple fix.

This has all changed thanks to those wonderful Poles!!! Lets welcome and embrace them with open arms.

In truth, I don't know why I'm worried as I don't live in England any more!!

Edited by SICHONSTEVE
  • Like 1

Thanks to regulations, you can't legally replace a 13amp plug in your own home in the UK now.

I'm all for safety in the home but it has gone way OTT now and beyond rediculous!!

Still, I suppose it means that those electricians still with employment have something to do.

Edited by SICHONSTEVE