Is It A Good Idea To Take Rehydration Salts In Thailand

HughJass

with the temp getting up in the mid 30s again and my Hugh Jass sweating profusely is it a good idea to take rehydration salts in the 5 baht sachets?

its easy to become dehydrated and this can have an effect on your blood pressure and general health

so is it a good idea to take them and if so how many a day or are there any cheap home alternatives

post-155264-0-98721000-1360670676_thumb.

Fine to take if you have been sweating a lot.

Green coconut water will taste better and achieve the same thing.

Or get a fresh nam minao or nam som at one of those fruit drink stands with blenders. They put salt and sugar into it making it also a fine rehydration mix.

To the OP ... I do understand your question HOWEVER ...

A wee story for you.

We used to be marked the 'Sports' drink Gatorade

gatorade.jpg

Great for marathon runners or endurance athletes ... but marketed to the Sunday Golfer.

But this wasn't enough ... then we had ...

gatorade-g-series.jpg

A brilliant piece of marketing. Having convinced the punter that his electrolyte levels had dropped to dangerous levels and that 'performance' could be enhanced by the original product ... this new market is now tripling it's market by demonstrating the need for the above products.

Do we need this sh*it ... a resounding no.

Do the Thais use this stuff because they sweat a bit ... a resounding no.

Drink water, maintain a healthy diet (fruit and vegetables, protein and carbs) and forget about the consumerism mentality you learnt back in your home country.

When you do need that stuff (the sachets you show above) is when you get sick from diarrhoea and you body is dehydrated and lacking the essential salts.

Apologies for the harsh words ... but it's a reality.

Others experiences may differ ...

Day's that I spend eating a good deal of fruit and vegetables with or without the chili salt or sugar mix My water intake is low. You can get most of the water you need by eating fruits and veggies, you'll just get a gorilla belly.

How is the sugar content of the green coconut? While not technically diabetic, family history and the sugar shakes tell me I need to watch sugar intake. Add that to Russian lineage so I sweat even in blizzards.

Any advice about maintaining electrolyte balance is appreciated. Right now, I just go through water like it's- well, water. And I do cramp up occasionally in BKK here.

My feelings exactly - lots of healthy potassium. thumbsup.gif

Can you please tell me where I can buy green coconut water?

I seen it in most supermarkets and you can even spoon some of the white stuff out as its a healthy fat and fiber. I seen them in almost every supermarket around here. At some roadside stalls they have them too. Only problem for me is i have to buy them fresh as they go bad fast. (like to buy stuff in bulk)

How is the sugar content of the green coconut? While not technically diabetic, family history and the sugar shakes tell me I need to watch sugar intake. Add that to Russian lineage so I sweat even in blizzards.

Any advice about maintaining electrolyte balance is appreciated. Right now, I just go through water like it's- well, water. And I do cramp up occasionally in BKK here.

Any electrolyte replacement will contain some glucose, it has to in order for the water & electrolytes to be absorbed.

There is some glucose in coconut water but I think not too much.

• Like 1

I can have/get the same issues. Chronic aches in my calves, which I've determined to be from dehydration (and must be easy for me to get there). Can't drink Coffee as it causes it as well.

Those electrolyte packs I use, one a day, if I feel a little dehydrated. There's about 5g of glucose in the one I have, so not an issue, less than milk and no where near the 25g or so in Gatorade.

They do help.