Which Router? Replacing Zyxel 660Hw-T V2

marquess

I have had the above router now for a couple of years but I have noticed in the last few days that the signal seems to keep dropping out every 30-60 mins and then it reonnects itself. An engineer from True will be coming to test it tomorrow, when I spoke to the call centre they said that it might be doing this because of age. Can anyone recommend a replacement ZyXEL (I find the latter easy to configure). I am running Window XP S3. I am afraid that my knowledge of routers is not what it should be would the:

ZyXEL NBG-419N Wireless N Router w/ 4-port Ethernet Retail

be a suitable replacement?

Thanks in advance for your help!

Most probable that it is the Zyxel: this modem is utter crap.

Get a Dlink or Linksys instead.

Most probably the ZyXEL is perfectly good, like my one supplied by TT&T was. (I'm now using a Huawei supplied by TOT, but the ZyXEL still works fine.)

Does your ZyXEL get hot? If so, put it near a draft or fan. All modems/routers need ventilation in this climate.

Oh, a person might get a new xDSL modem and the line magically starts working much better for a while but it's probably just a combination of the physical line still being funky and the new modem can just "barely" deals with the funky line a little better than the previous modem. The xDSL standard(s) have been around for a long time and xDSL modem manufacturers can really only distinguish their models now days by extra features, software, and/or just living off name brand recognition.

But just as soon as the physical line deteriorates a little more (i.e., that corroded connection gets a little worst and adds a few more DB of downstream/upstream attenuation like when the line gets wiggled, it rains, higher than average humidity, etc.) then you are back to having a bad/no connection again. Over the last 20 years or so I've probably owned or been issued 3 or 4 ZyXel modems....they all worked fine...even the ZyXel P660R-T1 modem that I had with my previous TOT 4 & 6Mb ADSL service worked just fine...that modem now lives in my storage/spares cabinet as TOT let me keep it when I canceled the service and switched to a True DOCSIS/cable plan.

This zyxel-Modem is famous to stop working after a year or two. It is crappy technology.

Let the True-Man test the line. He will bring his own equipment and can tell you in a few minutes if there is a line problem. But the Zyxel will be the culprit probably.

I've been using the ZyXEL NBG-416N for over a year and it's been excellent. I recently upgraded the firmware (v5 > v6) and found it unstable but now I suspect it could have had something to do with CAT's latest upgrade instead. The chip inside is a Realtek. The poster above me comments that it's "crappy technology" -I take comments like these with a pinch of salt unless proven otherwise.

Like the NBG-419N; it's a Wireless/Ethernet router - not DSL modem - and it will dial-up a PPPoE connection through an attached Ethernet modem on the WAN port.

For about B950 I'm impressed. I don't know if the ZyXEL DSL modems are stable but I do know that many ISPs give away ZyXEL kit to their customers and that some ISPs are using ZyXEL at the edge of their customer facing network.

If it was DSL, I'd be tempted to give this a try, which I saw at IT-City a while back: http://www.trendnet....8BRM&cat=41

Edited by RandomSand

To the OP: Have you went into your modem setup menu to check what your line metrics are? I mean in the diagnostic/info section of your modem setup (like in the similar area where your User ID and Password were input). If your line downstream/upstream attenuation is too high, your Signal to Noise(SNR)/Margin ratio too low, and your package speed too low (i.e., you are paying for a 10Mb plan but your modem reports something less), then that all indicate a funky line/DSLAM problem...it would give you the problems you are having now; it wouldn't be a modem problem.

<snip>

...they all worked fine...even the ZyXel P660R-T1 modem that I had with my previous TOT 4 & 6Mb ADSL service worked just fine...that modem now lives in my storage/spares cabinet as TOT let me keep it when I canceled the service and switched to a True DOCSIS/cable plan.

I, too, have a ZyXEL P660R-T1 in my spares cupboard donated by a friend who changed ISPs. smile.png

I also have a ZyXEL P660R-61C courtesy of Maxnet when I moved to TOT. biggrin.png