Why Do Westerners End English Sentences With Thai Words

muythai2013

Why would one go to a web site? Why not ask a Thai person? It sounds like cup. biggrin.png

If you hear 'cup', there's something wrong with your ears. 'Cop' is totally wrong - don't know why some are still insisting these are said.

Except on TV no one says krup. Kap and cup and cap are close enough that anyone may hear the same word spelled 3 different ways. Take a survey of Thai Visa members. See what you get.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why would one go to a web site? Why not ask a Thai person? It sounds like cup. biggrin.png

If you hear 'cup', there's something wrong with your ears. 'Cop' is totally wrong - don't know why some are still insisting these are said.

Except on TV no one says krup. Kap and cup and cap are close enough that anyone may hear the same word spelled 3 different ways. Take a survey of Thai Visa members. See what you get.

I just say 'wa' on the end of every sentence.

You just wont give up will you? So are you saying it rhymes with cap, snap, lap crap, etc.? I assure you....it does not.....not even closelaugh.png

Possibly "krahp"...putting the h there to differentiate from the short "a" sound

Again....it is IMPOSSIBLE to accurately replicate a thai word in the latin alphabet and vice versa.

Your attempts at trying to and insisting on it being correct or incorrect are just plain ridiculous

I'm sure many will agree with me when I suggest you get a lifeclap2.gif

• Like 1

You just wont give up will you? So are you saying it rhymes with cap, snap, lap crap, etc.? I assure you....it does not.....not even closelaugh.png

Possibly "krahp"...putting the h there to differentiate from the short "a" sound

Again....it is IMPOSSIBLE to accurately replicate a thai word in the latin alphabet and vice versa.

Your attempts at trying to and insisting on it being correct or incorrect are just plain ridiculous

not only agree but second and third it, however a reply is coming and will continue to come, after all he also speaks fluent Thaicheesy.gif

I just say 'wa' on the end of every sentence.

or ehh or dertongue.png (i think thats how it is spelled)

If you get your Thai out of a language site or the TV you might think Thais say R. But in real life they don't. That's all I am saying. They don't say R.

Hmm, I think that it is YOU that just won't give up!

But you do seem to have changed your tune somewhat

Now you say "krahp" sounds exactly the same as "Krop" ?

"kahp" sounds exactly like "Cop"?

• Like 1

not only agree but second and third it, however a reply is coming and will continue to come, after all he also speaks fluent Thaicheesy.gif

I invite you to find a post where I said I speak "fluent Thai". That is two words, fluent and Thai. If you can't (because I never did) please apologize. cheesy.gif

oh ok, so you do not speak fluent Thai, but good enough Thai to converse with Doctors in the hospital? is that right?

I invite you to find a post where I said I speak "fluent Thai". That is two words, fluent and Thai. If you can't (because I never did) please apologize. cheesy.gif

oh ok, so you do not speak fluent Thai, but good enough Thai to converse with Doctors in the hospital? is that right?

Yup. No doubt about it. I have made it a point to learn any words that may apply to my heart or pain or things that may go wrong in a hospital. Also, the fact that I tutored doctors at Pattaya Memorial Hospital may have helped. The doctors wanted to move on to another hospital and improve their English. It was ten years ago but really a fun job and paid well. biggrin.png

Yup. No doubt about it. I have made it a point to learn any words that may apply to my heart or pain or things that may go wrong in a hospital. Also, the fact that I tutored doctors at Pattaya Memorial Hospital may have helped. The doctors wanted to move on to another hospital and improve their English. It was ten years ago but really a fun job and paid well. biggrin.png

oh so now you learned words , no longer that you speakrolleyes.gif

and the punch line is NOW you tutored doctorsclap2.gif , was it before or after you ran US army businesses, 5 star hotels, owned 28 restaurants in 4 countries,was protege of a dead man, just to name a few of your accomplishments.

Not sure about others, but i am getting tired of new delusions every dayw00t.gif

and the punch line is NOW you tutored doctorsclap2.gif , was it before or after you ran US army businesses, 5 star hotels, owned 28 restaurants in 4 countries,was protege of a dead man, just to name a few of your accomplishments.

Not sure about others, but i am getting tired of new delusions every dayw00t.gif

For at least the 10th time I never said 1. I ran 5 star hotels. 2. Owned 28 restaurants. 3. Spoke fluent Thai. For at least the 10th time I welcome you to quote any post that supports your fictions. Of course I learned words in Thai to speak Thai. How else would one learn? In the future why don't you just message me your off topic insults and save the folks from having to read through the same stuff over and over again.

To get back on topic I wrote than most Thai people in normal everyday conversation don't speak the "R" sound.

Khrup becomes cup or some other word without the R.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

Trout, you're wrong on so many levels that I have to say something.

Firstly, there are 32 vowels in the Thai alphabet and 18 are short sounds - 'krap or 'khrap' is a SHORT sound.

Secondly, there are many accurate transliteration systems - http://lmgtfy.com/?q=thai+transliteration+systems

Thirdly, it dose rhyme with 'cap', 'snap, etc.

My father used to say "kop" until corrected but he's old and only comes here for a couple of weeks at a time.

I've studied Thai for 20 years and speak fluently - if you don't believe me - go and ask on the Thai language forum on TV, where there are many experts.

I don't know how long you've lived here but I assure you you won't improve your communication skills if you don't accept correction.

For at least the 10th time I never said 1. I ran 5 star hotels. 2. Owned 28 restaurants. 3. Spoke fluent Thai. For at least the 10th time I welcome you to quote any post that supports your fictions. Of course I learned words in Thai to speak Thai. How else would one learn? In the future why don't you just message me your off topic insults and save the folks from having to read through the same stuff over and over again.

To get back on topic I wrote than most Thai people in normal everyday conversation don't speak the "R" sound.

Khrup becomes cup or some other word without the R.

what other word does it become if not cup?rolleyes.gif

Yeah yeah i know, you also have short memory prolapse, so you often do not remember what you said on other threads and even after pointing out blank for you, you will still deny and twist it, but anyhow as you said back on topic.

so what word does it become?

My father used to say "kop" until corrected but he's old and only comes here for a couple of weeks at a time.

I've studied Thai for 20 years and speak fluently - if you don't believe me - go and ask on the Thai language forum on TV, where there are many experts.

I don't know how long you've lived here but I assure you you won't improve your communication skills if you don't accept correction.

What is this lady saying? I think this is the great majority of Thais. And I don't hear an R. Do you?

Or a male saying thank you. The first time he says cup and the second time he says clup.

Edited by chiangmaikelly