Public Warehouse Challenged To Conduct Random Inspections Of Rice

webfact

RICE SCANDAL

Public Warehouse challenged to conduct random inspections of rice

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The Democrat MP for Pitsanulok, Dr Warong Dejwikrom, on Thursday challenged the Public Warehouse Organisation to inspect rice newsjsin warehouses without prior notice to prove that the organisation has no degraded rice stored in the rice pledging scheme.

Warong was speaking before the House committee on Independent Agency as part of its scrutiny into the allegation that the Public Warehouse Organisation (PW) has failed to manage rice storage, causing rice in the rice pledging scheme to become rotten or degraded.

The PW deputy director denied that the agency had failed to maintain the quality of rice, saying that all rice was properly kept in sacks and sprayed with insecticide until distributed to buyers. However, rice with 1112 per cent humidity can be kept only one year and a half at the most as its quality would deteriorate by ten per cent every year.

Warong said he suspected that there had been systematic corruption in the scheme because rice millers and exporters worked together to export rice.

He said to prove that the PW does not store rotten rice, it must carry out random inspections at warehouses participating in the scheme.

Some House committee members have asked the committee to investigate allegations that some ministers have contracted rice millers to store rice imported from neighbouring countries to benefit from the rice pledging scheme.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-14

sprayed with insecticide until distributed to buyers

I suspect there would be those who would say rice, that is milled rice, sprayed with insectside was no longer fit for human comsumtion.

Consider would you like to eat it?

how would we ever know though ? whether sold in packets or eaten

in a restaurant we would not have a clue what went on before ?sad.png

I suspect there would be those who would say rice, that is milled rice, sprayed with insectside was no longer fit for human comsumtion.

Easy, don't eat rice. Pasta time laugh.png

• Like 2

Easy, don't eat rice. Pasta time laugh.png

just beware its not rice pasta..... but even then it should be ok.. most of the rice in the shops now comes from other countries around Thailandbiggrin.png well done Phua Thai you have helped ASEAN farmers clap2.gif

• Like 1

How can a pile of sacks of rice be sprayed? Surely they must fumigate with gas not spray?

just beware its not rice pasta..... but even then it should be ok.. most of the rice in the shops now comes from other countries around Thailandbiggrin.png well done Phua Thai you have helped ASEAN farmers clap2.gif

It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic. PT what have you done?

"The PW deputy director denied that the agency had failed to maintain the quality of rice, saying that all rice was properly kept in sacks and sprayed with insecticide until distributed to buyers. However, rice with 1112 per cent humidity can be kept only one year and a half at the most as its quality would deteriorate by ten per cent every year."

So, rice with 11 - 12% humidity deteriorates with 10% each year. Does that mean a 10% decrease in value as well?

BTW folks, rest assured that we only spray the sacks which of course are impermeable to keep the moisture level inside the sack at a constant level (insert smiley with big glasses and scientifical posture)

How can a pile of sacks of rice be sprayed? Surely they must fumigate with gas not spray?

the nation reporter probably couldn't spell fumigate...or the little fella at the warehouse only has a sprayer.

post-62652-0-58112900-1360841347_thumb.j

Kinda like up here in Esaan with watermelons. They shoot them up with red dye before taking them to the market.

the nation reporter probably couldn't spell fumigate...or the little fella at the warehouse only has a sprayer.

post-62652-0-58112900-1360841347_thumb.j

It has to be a typo. No way they could spray the outside of sacks. Pointless. Even fumigating stacks as large as these would be very difficult

Sorry to burst your bubble Robby, but everything gown above sea level in Thailand is bathed in chemicals right up to the point of you buying it.

Sorry to burst your bubble Robby, but everything gown above sea level in Thailand is bathed in chemicals right up to the point of you buying it.

You don't want to know what's in onshore produced shellfish either....

I know I dont.

As for your post #14.

Its not a typo. First the entire facility is hosed down with pesticides inside and out. Every sack sprayed before being stacked, and sprayed the whole time it is stored. If insects are still present, then the warehouse is fumigated until no more insects are found. Grain stored hermetically sealed or silo's with proper aeration, will store much longer than grain stacked in sacks. Ideally the grain is sold and transported as soon as possible. Of course these are insecticides engineered for this purpose, diluted and applied according to manufacturers instructions. One hopes anyway.

Over the years I still find it difficult to accept, but I've learned to be less bothered by all the news that most of the food I really like(d) is not good for me and it's a true miracle I've lived as long as I did. Mind you I might drop dead tomorrow.

BTW even if some like to call it "emulsified high-fat offal tube" I still like my sausage smile.png

• Like 1

The real damage in the bizarre rice scheme may be yet to come. Where by Thailand gains the reputation

on world markets of trying to flog off rotten rice, to the extent that no one wants to buy Thai rice.

Then there will be dancing in the streets in Vietnam.....

Whether or not the rice is actually in the warehouses is a separate issue I guess....whistling.gif

Wonder if we will be seeing a lot of trucks on the road , frantically moving rice from

warehouse to warehouse..... clap2.gif

Edited by EyesWideOpen
  • Like 1

The real damage in the bizarre rice scheme may be yet to come. Where by Thailand gains the reputation

on world markets of trying to flog off rotten rice, to the extent that no one wants to buy Thai rice.

Then there will be dancing in the streets in Vietnam.....

Whether or not the rice is actually in the warehouses is a separate issue I guess....whistling.gif

Wonder if we will be seeing a lot of trucks on the road , frantically moving rice from

warehouse to warehouse..... clap2.gif

I have a feeling. not in the far future. we people that have pets are going to start seeing our animals favorite food say "Made of 100% Thai Jasmine rice" get bonus 33% for free. Edited by dcutman

sprayed with insecticide....nice

I guess Thailand wont be the hub of organic rice anytime soon.

"The Strategic Foresight Group writes,

"In the recent years, organic farming has received a boost from the Thai government. In 2009, the government allocated THB 923 million (USD 30.28 million) for 100 projects as part of the “National Organic Development Plan” (NODP) and five years Action Plan."

http://www.searchlightcatalysts.org/node/705/Practices

Add another 923 million baht to the rice losses.

• Like 2

Some House committee members have asked the committee to investigate allegations that some ministers have contracted rice millers to store rice imported from neighbouring countries to benefit from the rice pledging scheme.

The Cambodian rice being sold as Thai rice scam has been in place for some time (since Yingluck's administration began)... :ermm:

It's no wonder Hun Sen has such cordial relations with the current Thai leadership. <_<

October 6, 2011

Cambodian Rice Smuggled Across Border Canal

An unknown volume of rice has been allegedly smuggled from Cambodia to Thailand's border district of Aranyaprathet to enjoy the government's rice price-pledging scheme.

MP Chuvit Kamonvisit produced video clips showing the Cambodian rice being unloaded from trucks and smuggled across Klong Namsai canal by Cambodian workers into Aranyaprathet.

The Cambodian rice, smuggled at varied spots along the border canal, was believed to be sold for 15,000 baht a ton under the Thai government's much-heralded price-pledging plan, effective on Friday.

http://news.voicetv....lish/19980.html

March 29, 2012

Officers Seize 30 Tons of Smuggled Rice

Customs officials and border patrol police in Sra Kaeo Province have stopped trucks that were smuggling in rice from a neighboring country to participate in the government's rice pledging scheme.

http://www.tannetwor...?DataID=1053924

Edited by Buchholz

To Cutman

But what do they spray on the sack? Many pesticides need sunlight to break down. the residues must be pretty high.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

http://www.fao.org/docrep/x0039e/X0039E05.htm

9.6 Some insecticides for use with stored products: summary of properties

Insecticides for use with stored products include the following.

Gamma BHC/lindane

• organochloride
  • very stable
  • acute oral LD50 for rats 88 mg/kg
  • harmful to livestock and fish
  • avoid use on food grains
  • some insects are resistant to this compound

Malathion

• organophosphorus
  • Iimited persistence
  • LD50 2800 mg/kg
  • general purpose, spray or dust

lodafenphos (e.g. Nuvanol, Elocril)

• organophosphorus
  • limited persistence
  • LD50 2 100 mg/kg

Synthetic pyrethroids (e.g. Permethrin)

• Iimited persistence
  • LD50 3 000 mg/kg
  • sprays or dusts; expensive

Pirimiphos-methyl (e.g. Actellic)

• organophosphorus
  • Iimited persistence
  • LD50 800 mg/kg

Dichlorvos (e.g. Nuvan)

• organophosphorus
  • short-lived
  • LD50 80 mg/kg
  • used for fogging in warehouses

Propaxur (e.g. Baygon)

• carbamate
  • very persistent
  • LD50 100 mg/kg
  • storage structures
  • not very effective against beetles

Kinda like up here in Esaan with watermelons. They shoot them up with red dye before taking them to the market.

You serious?

From reading the governments figures on the amount of stored paddy, and milled rice on hand /purchaed/sold, I doubt that any inspection has taken place or is ongoing.

The numbers thrown around go form 18 million to 30 million ton. Storage, to needing more storage, to we have enough. Cost, do not worry, to no more funds will be alloted to rice purchase.

This government has so many fires they are trying to cover up, control, or put out and this one seems to be the biggest rat hole that baht is being poured into. This 'Biggest' looks to be put down several notches with the new multi billion baht projects, proposed to be put on the agenda.

• Like 1

To Cutman

But what do they spray on the sack? Many pesticides need sunlight to break down. the residues must be pretty high.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

http://www.fao.org/d...9e/X0039E05.htm

9.6 Some insecticides for use with stored products: summary of properties

Insecticides for use with stored products include the following.

Gamma BHC/lindane

• organochloride
  • very stable
  • acute oral LD50 for rats 88 mg/kg
  • harmful to livestock and fish
  • avoid use on food grains
  • some insects are resistant to this compound

Malathion

• organophosphorus
  • Iimited persistence
  • LD50 2800 mg/kg

lodafenphos (e.g. Nuvanol, Elocril)

• organophosphorus
  • limited persistence
  • LD50 2 100 mg/kg

Synthetic pyrethroids (e.g. Permethrin)

• Iimited persistence
  • LD50 3 000 mg/kg
  • sprays or dusts; expensive

Pirimiphos-methyl (e.g. Actellic)

• organophosphorus
  • Iimited persistence
  • LD50 800 mg/kg

Dichlorvos (e.g. Nuvan)

• organophosphorus
  • short-lived
  • LD50 80 mg/kg
  • used for fogging in warehouses

Propaxur (e.g. Baygon)

• carbamate
  • very persistent
  • LD50 100 mg/kg
  • storage structures
  • not very effective against beetles

I know there are dozens approved, but if you spray the sack, and then put it into a stack, it will take forever for it to degrade, which maybe good for killing bugs, but isn't too good for residues of the chemical itself. I know, we had huge problems with timing applications of various types so that sun had enough time to break it down.

I think a couple on there are banned in Europe already. Best to wash any hessian sacks you come across in that case. Could you imagine what people handling these sacks are exposed to? Best to remember whatever you buy in the future needs a dam_n good wash also.