Sleep-Starved Thais Struggle To Juggle Family, Work Commitments, Study Finds

webfact

Sleep-starved Thais struggle to juggle family, work commitments, study finds

The Nation

BANGKOK: -- A fifth of workers in Bangkok (21 per cent) report that they have to sacrifice sleep to fit in personal and work commitments, either by waking up too early or by burning the midnight oil.

newsjs

Although flexible working conditions are highlighted as a way to reduce commuting, creating more hours in the day for sleep or family life and improving productivity and staff retention, only 52 per cent of Bangkok firms are rewarding management for encouraging the creation of a flexible workforce.

Bangkok workers also highlight that a shorter commute (26 per cent) and greater flexibility of location (10 per cent) would give them more time to spend with their families as well as to catch some extra shuteye, but businesses can also benefit from introducing greater flexibility, which is reported to improve productivity (67 per cent) and help retain staff (79 per cent).

These are some of the key findings of a global survey by Regus, the world's largest provider of flexible workplaces, based on interviews with more than 24,000 businesspeople in more than 90 countries last September. Commissioned by Regus, the survey was managed and administered by the independent organisation MindMetre.

"Lack of sleep is clearly detrimental to worker health and happiness, with long working hours closely linked to heart disease," said John Henderson, Asia-Pacific regional director at Regus.

"Respondents highlight that a shorter commute and more flexibility over work location would help them spend more time with their families, finally spelling an end to sleepless nights filled with catching up on work or personal tasks that couldn't be squeezed into the day."

Globally, 29 per cent of workers are sleeping less than they wish to fit in all of their commitments.

In the Philippines, 25 per cent of workers are sacrificing sleep to fit in work and personal commitments, while a fifth (19 per cent) feel they have to overcompensate for time taken off for personal matters.

Workers worldwide highlight a shorter commute (29 per cent on average) and location flexibility (30 per cent) as ways of helping them spend more time with their families.

But businesses can benefit too, as flexible work is thought to improve productivity (75 per cent) and help staff retention (82 per cent).

Currently management is being rewarded for encouraging a flexible work environment in 58 per cent of firms.

"This survey shows that allowing employees to work closer to home in professional and fully efficient environments can have an important impact on family life and provide workers with a few more minutes' kip each morning," Henderson said. "But the benefits are not just for workers, and firms can also improve productivity and retention by introducing flexible working.

"Yet in spite of the win-win benefits that flexible working can bring on both employee and company side, there is evidently still plenty of ground for improvement, as almost half of Thai firms do not recognise or reward managers for encouraging the creation of a flexible workforce."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-15

A lot of my students tell me they don't normally go to sleep 'til 2 or 3 a.m. They then normally wake up at about 6 or 7 a.m. I don't know how people can do this. I can't function properly on less than 7 hours sleep a night.

My students tell me they stay up late because they have to study. Some of them seem to forget they've told me they were studying late and then tell me they were playing games on facebook.

People spend a lot of time sitting in traffic. I ran erands yesterday in BKK. Left my apt at 6:30am and did not return until almost 7:30pm. I spent most of the day in traffic. I live in the outskirts of BKK. I'd never consider living and working inside BKK. ridiculous traffic conditions. I was exhausted when I got home.

• Like 1

People spend a lot of time sitting in traffic. I ran erands yesterday in BKK. Left my apt at 6:30am and did not return until almost 7:30pm. I spent most of the day in traffic. I live in the outskirts of BKK. I'd never consider living and working inside BKK. ridiculous traffic conditions. I was exhausted when I got home.

i have never had a job in Bangkok that involved more than a 5 minute motorcycle taxi ride to get to.

my current project involves me getting out of bed and going downstairs.

still i rarely sleep more than 6 hours a night.

I have the solution for that, have another motor show and declare another discounted

cheap cars for the masses, 1 million baht car with 5,000 or so baht a month repayments

for the next 20 years, and the masses will love you Mr. T. and sister Y,

and very they will forget all ills and hardship and will sleep well,

I think it's their choice. Countless times I've seen them playing at work, on break, and they admit they stay up late to chat with friends in Europe and tr America's.

Sure, there's probably some work involved, but probably not to the extent they're saying. I def think they sacrifice for the mindless games.

I was friendly with a BKK Thai family that had 2 electronic engineers, worked at the same place. On a public holiday we had a family day out at a water park, the kids ran around only come back to eat, the women gossiped continually, the 2 men had a beer each and then slept the whole day.

Another article droning on about Thai personal problems and ignoring that they have no problem solving skills. Ignore - avoid - oppress - lie - don't think - act on emotion solely - and so on. If one digs into the culture then one will find that there is no comparing Thai problems to any other country. It comes down to lack of self-restraint, self-discipline, common sense, awareness and wisdom, responsibility, commitment, and so on; none of which the average Thai is fully equipped with or is able to demonstrate on a day to day basis. They are driven by their emotions. Get a Thai angry and watch them unable to override that anger and be objective. Impossible. Have a Thai in a happy, silly mood, and try to get them to focus on work of a serious nature. Impossible. This article is a farce.

• Like 1

Another article droning on about Thai personal problems and ignoring that they have no problem solving skills. Ignore - avoid - oppress - lie - don't think - act on emotion solely - and so on. If one digs into the culture then one will find that there is no comparing Thai problems to any other country. It comes down to lack of self-restraint, self-discipline, common sense, awareness and wisdom, responsibility, commitment, and so on; none of which the average Thai is fully equipped with or is able to demonstrate on a day to day basis. They are driven by their emotions. Get a Thai angry and watch them unable to override that anger and be objective. Impossible. Have a Thai in a happy, silly mood, and try to get them to focus on work of a serious nature. Impossible. This article is a farce.

It's certainly nothing to lose any sleep over.

• Like 1

Good post to decentralise yes. But places important to familes such as schools decentrailsed only to have the city 'catch up' later.

Standard day for me is 0530 start - kids to shower 0600, fed and in traffic by 0700 and at school by 0730. All mails and internet done by 1000 and then work until 1900, wife picks up the kids at school around 1630. By the time the rug rats are settled around 2030 that gives us little time and by 2230 I'm shagged. Working in Thailand (and I work 3 mins from my home and for myself) 18 hours a day 6 days weeks at over 60 - I seem to cope so what is it with Thai's when I see kids on the streets at 2200 in school uniforms and no parents anywhere to be seen, walking around in groups? Don't parents here have any form of parental care?

The transient Thai workers are amazed we have lived in the same address for more than 10 years as they all change jobs for the sake a a few thousand Baht extra per month but gorget the travel takes more time. They move, so rental properties are always in demand. But as in OP's and already said, Thai's have a tendency to close their eyes, even when standing, for what reason I have no idea. They do spend a lot of time on the bottle with their preferred whiskey-sodaaa and Leo, and of course eating out and Karoke. I think a lot of these surveys are incomplete as to what causes lack of sleep in a community and with most Thai's in my experience, it is self inflicted.

Edited by Locationthailand

a Thai can sleep on a chickens lip,...i once had to wake my taxi driver as he STOOD sleeping against his taxi......i dont think they have the pressures of life like westerners, only half the bills to pay for a start and they shirk their responsibilities , only the mexicans could hold a candle to the world champion country for kippers,..........in a recent survey sleep was top of what thais like to do most ...says it all really!

• Like 1

If you lived inside Bangkok you wouldn't need to be stuck in traffic because you could use the BTS, MRT, and BRT. Getting around central Bangkok is easy. No need for a car. Most people who have cars don't actually need them. Even for those that do need them, very few use public transport, even if it's quicker. They seem to like be stuck in traffic, as it gives them something to complain about.

wifey takes 1 to 2 hours to go and again 1 to 2 hours to come back from work, each day .... why all those international companies keep on putting their offices in the centre of town with paralized traffic, it beats me

Because that's where it's easiest for the majority of workers to get to. Put the office on the outskirts, and most workers wouldn't be able to get there. For example, if office from north of Bangkok, how would workers from south get there. They'd have to drive through Bangkok, which would take longer than getting to central Bangkok. The main problem is than many won't use public transport, even if they can. They prefer to drive, even if it takes and hour longer each way. The answer to to charge cars to enter the city and to build more public transport (already being done and planned). Another problem is that people don't plan their lives well enough. Not just Thais. I've seen plenty like this in the UK. They claim they don't have enough time, but in reality they just waste their time.

Well in Bangkok you would spend at least 6-8 hours on the road, plus working hours at office, then housework duties another 3 hourse,

you get up 5.30 to avoid traffic every day...

Bit of an exaggeration. Most Thais I know spend about 1 1/2 to 2 hours ont he road. Like me.

A few hours less of Thai soap opera watching at night would give them some time to sleep.

Be fair guys. I know many Thai people that have to work at least a 12 hour shift six days a week. They cannot find jobs close to them so they have to travel which often takes at least an hour. Then they are expected to cook and clean and wash their cloths, do the shopping and still try to have a social life..

No life for anyone.

Would you do it for 300baht a day then pay the rent 3,000baht?

• Like 1

I was friendly with a BKK Thai family that had 2 electronic engineers, worked at the same place. On a public holiday we had a family day out at a water park, the kids ran around only come back to eat, the women gossiped continually, the 2 men had a beer each and then slept the whole day.

I can sympathize with those two guys. Faced with a farang with an obsessional neurosis about Thaksin, PTP, UDD etc., I can understand why they would choose to tune out after the first 10 minutes. Both perceptive and polite of them.