Show Me Your Money

CMHomeboy78

On a recent visa-run to Tachilek while crossing back into Thailand I noticed a print-out above the little immigration window. It listed the amounts of money required to have on hand for the various types of visa.

Non-immigrant - what I had - was 30,000 baht.

Under the list on the same sheet of paper someone had written in ballpoint pen "It doesn't matter" in a small spidery script.

I was strongly tempted to write a rejoinder underneath. Something along the lines of "Don't be too sure" or "Be prepared to flash it".

But I refrained; for fear of being caught on Candid Camera or in some other way. The last thing I need is a hassle with immigration cops.

My own experience with Thai border crossings, and I have had many many, is that I was only asked to show money once, and it was so long ago that I can't clearly remember where it was. Tachilek I think.

Anyway, after being asked how much money I had, I extracted a wad of Benjamins from my money-belt. The dude just took a cursory glance at it - it could have been Monopoly money for all he knew - and that was that.

But just to be on the safe side I always carry what is needed - and more.

Has anyone out there heard the demand "Show me your money"?

Just curious...

One time years ago... before the coup, but after the end of the easy, endless month-to-month Tachilek runs. Maybe 2004 or 2005. I'm also always dressed appropriately, polite, and speak proper Thai to them as I try to skate thru as "one of the good ones."

I've seen people get hassled there a few times over the years, but moreso because they had attitude, bad dress, or issues with altered passports or missing exit cards.

I think Thai authorities just want to make it more difficult for the dodgy types who live on the shaky edge of poverty and who might become a problem for Thailand. The average tourist with all documents in order is unlikely to be hassled. I think that is why they changed the one month rotation to the 2 week rotation on long stay tourists/expats/whatever.

One time years ago... before the coup, but after the end of the easy, endless month-to-month Tachilek runs. Maybe 2004 or 2005. I'm also always dressed appropriately, polite, and speak proper Thai to them as I try to skate thru as "one of the good ones."

I've seen people get hassled there a few times over the years, but moreso because they had attitude, bad dress, or issues with altered passports or missing exit cards.

It seems like your experience has been exactly the same as mine. Only asked once

I also try to dress and act well. But I don't overdress. Just a clean polo shirt and chinos etc., and I'm polite but not obsequious.

That seems to work for me, and get me through.

Then I can resume my life here which is actually closer to rene's description of one of the "dodgy types who live on the shaky edge of poverty".

You wouldn't be interested in buying a bridge on the Ping River, would you?

• Like 1

Wonder when they changed that as the last time I looked the below were the requirements.

Minimum Funds Required To Enter Thailand:

We have been informed by Immigration Department, Bangkok that to be in line with the regulation imposed by the Ministry of Interior, Kingdom of Thailand, with immediate effect, all passengers arriving in Thailand must have sufficient funds as follows to show at the immigration before entry is permitted.

1. Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.

2. Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

3. Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.

4. Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

The above funds may be held in any permitted currency.Kindly adhere to the above as insufficient funds on arrival could result in refusal to enter Thailand.

Source

Never been asked to "flash the cash" even though I always wear shorts whistling.gif . Saw the "It doesn't matter" last month. Never have more than 10,000 on me, though 20,000 is supposedly required for non O. Not the kind of place to be carrying loads of cash - border town, crowded market, foreigner standing out like a sore thumb sad.png

• Like 2

Wonder when they changed that as the last time I looked the below were the requirements.

Minimum Funds Required To Enter Thailand:

We have been informed by Immigration Department, Bangkok that to be in line with the regulation imposed by the Ministry of Interior, Kingdom of Thailand, with immediate effect, all passengers arriving in Thailand must have sufficient funds as follows to show at the immigration before entry is permitted.

1. Transit Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.

2. Tourist Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

3. Visa on Arrival: Must hold minimum THB 10,000 per passenger or THB 20,000 per family.

4. Non Immigrant Visa holder: Must hold minimum THB 20,000 per passenger or THB 40,000 per family.

The above funds may be held in any permitted currency.Kindly adhere to the above as insufficient funds on arrival could result in refusal to enter Thailand.

Source

I guess the Thais figure travelers don't use ATM machines despite the fact ATMs are everywhere.

Perhaps sometime within the next 20 years Thailand will catch on that a lot of people don't actually carry much cash, especially when going to shady countries like Thailand.

I never carry more than I'm willing to lose, which is a few 1000b. That's it. Never had a problem with it.

Never been asked to "flash the cash" even though I always wear shorts whistling.gif . Saw the "It doesn't matter" last month. Never have more than 10,000 on me, though 20,000 is supposedly required for non O. Not the kind of place to be carrying loads of cash - border town, crowded market, foreigner standing out like a sore thumb sad.png

Well dressed foreigners with loads of cash in their pocket at a crowded border crossing. blink.png

I'm gonna stick to looking like one of those dodgy types who live on the shaky edge of poverty. Been working well for me for quite some time.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was at the OTOP market in Saphan Hin Phuket the other night...and there was a toothless young Russian man with a greasy pony tail busking for loose change....

I wonder how he would go showing 20K THB to meet his tourist visa requirements...

I won't even mention WP requirements....