Non-Immigrant O-A Multiple Entry-Do I Need A Re-Entry Permit?

Back in 2007 I was here in Thailand on an O-A visa and have vague memories of a re-entry process needed when leaving and returning to Thailand. In 2009 I came out of retirement and returned to the USA.

Fast forward to 2013, I arrived in Thailand on 1 January, again with a Non-Immigrant O-A multiple entry visa (enter before November 2013) and received a stamp that said "admitted until 31 December 2013. I would like to travel next month to Cambodia for a holiday. Do I need a re-entry permit or will I just get a new "admitted until....." stamp when I return to Thailand??

I am sure this has been answered a million times before but I just want to be sure I am doing the correct thing for the current times. Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.

Just to expand on Maestro's helpful answer, if you leave Thailand and return (e.g. a border run) just before your "must enter before" date, you will be given a further 12 months ie the OA will be effective for (almost) 2 years.

However, during the 2nd 12 month period, you will need a re-entry permit if you wish to leave and return.

Jack:

Your further clarification was equally helpful and was what I must have done previously in 2007-2009 as I did only have one O-A visa during that period and have a hazy memory of doing the re-entry permit process towards the end. Thanks for all the helpful advice.

Also, for the four years I was in the USA I received an email update from ThaiVisa everyday and it often was the grounding in reality that I needed. Thanks for that as well.

• 4 weeks later...