Staff Changes At Chonburi (Pattaya) Immigration

LeCharivari

OK, as promised, here is my report about 90 day address reporting:

The poorly designed sign at the desk says these are needed:

1. Copy passport

2. Copy visa

3. Copy document for address

A young Thai woman gave me a queue ticket. She asked me if I had a copy of my passport i.d. page, I said yes, she didn't look.

At the reporting desk, I presented exactly what the Pattaya City Expats Club says to present as I linked to before:

1. Copy passport I.D. page.

2. Copy T.M. 6 (white card)

3. Copy showing last permission to stay date (in my case a retirement extension)

4. Copy proof of address

I did not, repeat did NOT, present a copy of my original VISA.

At the reporting desk a lady officer looked at all my documents and accepted them. She, did NOT demand a copy of my original VISA. This was exactly as I had expected and exactly as you should expect.

I feel my previous opinion that a copy of the ORIGINAL visa is not needed was well confirmed.

I think some people confuse what a visa is. Including that very poorly designed SIGN.

A question I have now is whether the TM 6 card copy is actually still needed. I think it is, but only by having people not offer it (when documents examined) could we know for sure.

There is no doubt that you DO need some proof of your address.

Cheers, and happy reporting. You don't need a copy of your ORIGINAL visa. Is that clear enough?

Also went today for the 90 day, documents as jingthing said, European chap just gave me the ticket, didn't even look at my documents, 30 before me, but was out in 30 min.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Speaking of copies & what happens to them....I went in for my 90 day report & picked up some blank 90 day report forms...At home I looked at them & on the backsides of each were copies of some guys visa stamp & the front page of his Indian passport.

oopps thats not very good....no data protection at all

Yes, I've seen that for years. TiT. blink.png

Also went today for the 90 day, documents as jingthing said, European chap just gave me the ticket, didn't even look at my documents, 30 before me, but was out in 30 min.

Last week I went in at 1:02 pm and was out at 1:12 on a Friday.

Edited by tropo

Last week I went in at 1:02 pm and was out at 1:12 on a Friday.

Why they kept you there for a week ?biggrin.png

There is in my opinion quite a racist element to 90 day reporting in Jomtien..

I was sat there for about 20 minutes a few months ago in the front row watching what was happening.

A poor Indian or Bangladeshi chap was getting a lot of Grief, sent away to come back with required documents etc..

A few farangs flew through the process with absolutely no document checks..

A pretty Filipino girl, no problem again.

Unknown Asian nationality male getting grief and sent away

Scruffy chang-vest wearing farang getting grief and sent away to get documents.

Myself in reasonable attire, no document check, away in 20 seconds.

Personally I have always found the two guys on the 90 day desk to be great and quite chatty..

• Like 1

I'm skeptical about the significant racism charge. Yes I've had no problem with 90 day reports, but the officers can see I've been here for years at the same address but only ONE TIME did they not even look at my documents (an unusually busy time). Not saying there isn't profiling or that profiling is strictly "fair" but if they're finding a problem with someone's documents, that is legitimate regardless.

Also, and yes I'll go there, if they have found that Bangladeshis for example have a higher rate of having issues with their documents than Swiss retirees who have been here 20 years, aren't they just doing their job by examining those documents? Does anyone have evidence that Bangladeshis are being hassled even if their documents ARE in order?

Edited by Jingthing

The only disappointment was with the Information Desk - no change to the Thai Information Officer, who still spends his time inspecting his fingernails and ignores those who need advice or just a queue number,

That guy must be the biggest foreigner hater I've ever met in my life.

More on this particular individual's latest "help" at the Immigration office here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/623684-lost-my-passport-at-chomtien-immigration-office/

No great surprises.

Edited by LeCharivari
  • Like 1

I went to do a 90 day report yesterday morning armed with.

1. Copy passport I.D. page.

2. Copy T.M. 6 (white card)

3. Copy showing last permission to stay date

4. Copy proof of address

5. Form TM47

No problem getting a ticket no document check at the front counter

there where 22 people in front of me.

The officer at desk 3 didn't check ( not even a glance ) any of the documents just the extension to stay date in my passport

filled in the bottom of TM47 tore it off and stapled in the passport..come back in 3 months time.

Took less than an hour ( wasn't really clock watching )

The only disappointment was with the Information Desk - no change to the Thai Information Officer, who still spends his time inspecting his fingernails and ignores those who need advice or just a queue number,

That guy must be the biggest foreigner hater I've ever met in my life.
He does go out of his way to be rude and condescending; however, I think his behaviour is more about "Look how important I am" than hatred of foreigners. Its the Thai way for civil servants to look down on others percieved to be below their station smile.png

I felt a bit bemused that I went to the trouble of supplying the asked for documents and the officer didn't even glance at them

but TIT.

Perhaps you look very respectable. I don't dress so well for reports (shorts, sandals, button down shirt).

Went this afternoon to the Immigration Office, was there just before 1 p.m. and left at 2 p.m., done my 90 days and my year visa, but have to go back tomorrow after 10 a.m. to pick up my passport.

When I was sitting with the officer, first phase of visa was done, a guy came to pick up his passport, the officer told me : "please wait one minute", than he told the guy :

"I told you i needed one more document, I know you go to see my boss, do you have document?"

The guy : "no"

The officer :"no visa and now go away, when I tell you to bring document, you bring document."

The guy : "what I am going to do"

The officer ; "Up to you and now go" took of his glasses and looked very angry at the guy.

The guy left.

I was not very comfortable, but the officer said to me " sorry" and told me I could pick up my passport tomorrow.

Better do what the officer tell you to do and don't try to be smart to go and see a superior.

Edited by luckyluke

And better not to tell the officer, that you went to Thai Visa, and they told you what you should do! I will keep taking my extra documents with me, just in case.

I agree with that suggestion not to refer to Thaivisa.com when experiencing a conflict with an immigration officer.

I went to immigration last week and renewed my retirement visa - no problems and picked it up after 3 pm. They would not issue a multiple re entry that day. I came back the next working day again, the line up was long so I returned after 1:30 pm when things seemed calmer. The immigration said they can not do - only 100 re entries can be done a day come back next month???

Maybe they should only let 100 people a day enter at BKK airport who may need re entries. I know if I paid a bit extra thru a visa company this could have been "avoided". I guess plan B is to wait with the hordes and be one of the first 100 applicants to pay 3,800 baht for the priviledge of travelling outside of Thailand.

They need more staff in that department who can handle the workload without retirees paying "extra".

I personally would like to see some policy changes at this location and an increase in efficiency in certain departments.

Edited by gerry53
  • Like 1