Good American Food?

Exoticpits

3 Pigs or Soul Kitchen. It's between the Samsung repair center and Chang Puak on Maneenoparat. That's just north of the moat. Eclectic American food with huge portions. Mostly Southern, but there's a lot of fusion influence in the menu. Well worth a try.

Not too sure about the chicken fried steak thing. Never was a fan, although I remember having a decent meal of it near Houston, Texas one afternoon. It's a good way to disguise low-quality meat.

Also not sure about breakfast, but I know they serve waffles.

The waffles are good here but like you say the fried chicken seems a bit on the low quality side. Best quality fried chicken steak I've had is at the Dukes. Nothing about it tastes bad quality.

I did not say the fried chicken at 3 Pigs was low quality. Not sure how you got that.

I said the whole concept of "chicken-frying" was a way to conceal low quality meat.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 Pigs or Soul Kitchen. It's between the Samsung repair center and Chang Puak on Maneenoparat. That's just north of the moat. Eclectic American food with huge portions. Mostly Southern, but there's a lot of fusion influence in the menu. Well worth a try.

Not too sure about the chicken fried steak thing. Never was a fan, although I remember having a decent meal of it near Houston, Texas one afternoon. It's a good way to disguise low-quality meat.

The waffles are good here but like you say the fried chicken seems a bit on the low quality side. Best quality fried chicken steak I've had is at the Dukes. Nothing about it tastes bad quality.

I did not say the fried chicken at 3 Pigs was low quality. Not sure how you got that.

I said the whole concept of "chicken-frying" was a way to conceal low quality meat.

so is batter frying other things like shrimp and fish also a way to conceal low quality meat also?

or is it the crunchiness and tender batter underneath seasoned and then gravied that gives it a consistency that some people are looking for.

If you can eat haggis, you'll love chicken fried steak, you won't have to admit it...you can go back and eat it again by yourself when no one sees you.

Perhaps you lot should stop asking for chicken steak then.....ask for a fried beef steak or however you wish to pronounce it maybe you'll all get it.

Who in their right mind calls a beef steak chicken steak...regardless of how it is culinary destroyed to appeal to the yankee taste bud.

Its called chicken fried steak to some because its battered like fried chicken, can your mind wrap around that concept?

Yank taste buds are better than eating some British dish called spotted dick or maybe some nasty ass hagus? or however you spell it. smile.png

Dont get me started on that vegemite crap.

Vegemite is Australian......I'd never spread that on my crumpet.wink.png

Edited by uptheos

so is batter frying other things like shrimp and fish also a way to conceal low quality meat also?

or is it the crunchiness and tender batter underneath seasoned and then gravied that gives it a consistency that some people are looking for.

If you can eat haggis, you'll love chicken fried steak, you won't have to admit it...you can go back and eat it again by yourself when no one sees you.

re: so is batter frying other things like shrimp and fish also a way to conceal low quality meat also?

Isn't the steak that we are talking about a cube steak?

........ cube steak, in some regions, seems that is a Thai visa (British?) thing calling tough meat "low quality" most simple "peasent' food relies on tougher, cuts of meat, stews, thin sliced or pounded.

Edited by daoyai

........ cube steak, in some regions, seems that is a Thai visa (British?) thing calling tough meat "low quality" most simple "peasent' food relies on tougher, cuts of meat, stews, thin sliced or pounded.

In the US the cube steak is the cheapest and usually toughest beef. I could point you to a couple of places in Chaing Mail who sell it as "Fillet Mingon" for upwards of 500 baht. To me it seem to not be worth the trouble. The OP might as well have stayed in Texas, neither the food nor the beer is going to suit his tastes here, only the marijuana might.

Tempura-battered shrimp with a dash of wasabi-zested sauce vs. a brown gravy covered piece of flour-battered rump or round that's been under the mallet for a half hour to make it chewable.

Up to you.

Is that the surf and turf special at Rivermarket?

Perhaps you lot should stop asking for chicken steak then.....ask for a fried beef steak or however you wish to pronounce it maybe you'll all get it.

Who in their right mind calls a beef steak chicken steak...regardless of how it is culinary destroyed to appeal to the yankee taste bud.

Its called chicken fried steak to some because its battered like fried chicken, can your mind wrap around that concept?

Yank taste buds are better than eating some British dish called spotted dick or maybe some nasty ass hagus? or however you spell it. smile.png

But its not chicken is it....how dumb is that....duh

Can I have a tomato sandwich please.....and getting a cucumber one....no wonder you lot sunk the world financially....can't even get beef/chicken right.

Can I have a tomato sandwich please.....and getting a cucumber one....no wonder you lot sunk the world financially....can't even get beef/chicken right.

The CHINESE started this!

post-37101-0-59354100-1361509165_thumb.j

Fish flavored pork

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2012-03/27/content_14924400.htm

Those batards! When you order it. No fish! Only pork!

Edited by Jingthing

The CHINESE started this!

attachicon.gif00221917e9c410dbae7705.jpg

Fish flavored pork

http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/life/2012-03/27/content_14924400.htm

Those batards! When you order it. No fish! Only pork!

But its fish flavoured right ?

The beef in saturated fat and ripping and whatever is not described as chicken flavoured beef....or chicken lookalike beef....or chicken that is not chicken but beef....it is just chicken....but its not.

Anyway, if I was desperate enough to order something that resembles food like chicken fried steak.....then I'd be disappointed if beef turned up and my mouth was a hankering for chicken.

Behave. Nobody is confused. You're not confused. Stop beating a dead beefsteak.

BTW, chicken-fried steak, yes the hyphen is usually in there, is SOUTHERN cuisine, more like REDNECK Southern cuisine. I've never even tried it and don't wish to. It's not even on most menus in the U.S. south.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

The beef in saturated fat and ripping and whatever is not described as chicken flavoured beef....or chicken lookalike beef....or chicken that is not chicken but beef....it is just chicken....but its not.

Anyway, if I was desperate enough to order something that resembles food like chicken fried steak.....then I'd be disappointed if beef turned up and my mouth was a hankering for chicken.

you are being deliberately thick.

It is annoying.

but then that is your intention, isnt it?

• Like 1

It is annoying.

About what ?

Vegemite is Australian......I'd never spread that on my crumpet.wink.png

vegemite is made by Kraft Foods, which is an American food company.

You asked where you could get a Good American Breakfast and later asked about Texas BBQ ribs and Chicken fried steak.

Answer: The best American Breakfast and the best Chicken fried steak for me are at Pun Pun who is an advertiser on this site. When you go to Pun Puns ask about the super chicken fried steak breakfast. He came up with that one just for me.

For BBQ ribs I go to the Dukes Riverside.

thank you!

I agree, Pun Pun makes an awesome chicken fried steak. I'm a big guy, 30 years as a long haul trucker, it was all I could do to finish it, had to take the apple pie home to eat later.

Is it a joke to ask for good Brazilian food (heavily influenced by Africa and Portugal)? Good Argentinian food (heaving influenced by Spain and Italy)? Good Peruvian food (heavily influenced by China, Japan, Spain, Italy, and Africa)?

You seem ok with it when the joke is about British food.

Nowadays in the UK, the selection of cuisine in the average high street is fantastic whether it be Chinese, Turkish, Italian, Indian, Greek, Mexican or French, and you even find talented chefs at places like village pubs. To me, British food, just like American food or for that matter, Thai food, isn't so much about the food that represents an accurate version of what originates from the nation - spotted dick or whatever - but about what food is available there today and what food it is people eat there now... and on that basis "British food" is great, and does not deserve all these snide comments about it, particularly when those snide comments come from the direction of nations that also have a multicultural mish-mash of cuisine's that they call their own.

(same goes for the snide comments about American food)

• Like 1

It is annoying.

About what ?
exactly.

the board seems to be a festival of idiots tonight, and you are missing out on the nigerians thread.

Edited by candypants

well, not to be TOO off topic... but a long (over 25 yrs) time resident and friend told me, when i first moved here 4 yrs ago:

Zippy...there is no such thing as THAI food... there is just chili and STUFF....

while not a totally accurate statement, it does go a long way to describing thai "cuisine"...

just as his statement that: Thai laws are only passed to provide more opportunities for payoff... another broad brush stroke, but not without merit...

Is it a joke to ask for good Brazilian food (heavily influenced by Africa and Portugal)? Good Argentinian food (heaving influenced by Spain and Italy)? Good Peruvian food (heavily influenced by China, Japan, Spain, Italy, and Africa)?

Nowadays in the UK, the selection of cuisine in the average high street is fantastic whether it be Chinese, Turkish, Italian, Indian, Greek, Mexican or French, and you even find talented chefs at places like village pubs. To me, British food, just like American food or for that matter, Thai food, isn't so much about the food that represents an accurate version of what originates from the nation - spotted dick or whatever - but about what food is available there today and what food it is people eat there now... and on that basis "British food" is great, and does not deserve all these snide comments about it, particularly when those snide comments come from the direction of nations that also have a multicultural mish-mash of cuisine's that they call their own.

I don't see this in the same way you do.

British food would include British taste chicken tikka masala, etc. as well as fish and chips, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, etc..

British food would NOT really include wonderful international authentic food being sold there.

Same with American food.

American food would include American style lasagna as well as New England clam chowder, Shrimp Etouffee , etc..

American food would NOT really include wonderful international authentic food being sold there.

By your theory it seems good German food available in places like Pattaya would be Thai food because it is sold in Thailand. Nope.

Of course there are always grey areas. A big one in the USA is Mexican food. Given that large land masses in the USA used to be Mexico and the USA has multiple styles of its own Mexican, Mexican food can easily be either/both Mexican or American.

If you are accusing me of thinking American food overall is vastly more varied and interesting than British food overall, I would plead very guilty. If my opinion offends some people, tough titties.

Ooops!

http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2012/08/05/uk-food-voted-worst_n_1743282.html

"Americans and Australians may be English-speaking but they are none too keen on English eating, according to a survey.

People from the US and Australia, as well as Norway, voted the UK as having the worst local food, the poll by Hotels.com found.

In contrast, Britons voted the US as the best for family dining, the best for value and the best for street food."

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

You asked where you could get a Good American Breakfast and later asked about Texas BBQ ribs and Chicken fried steak.

Answer: The best American Breakfast and the best Chicken fried steak for me are at Pun Pun who is an advertiser on this site. When you go to Pun Puns ask about the super chicken fried steak breakfast. He came up with that one just for me.

For BBQ ribs I go to the Dukes Riverside.

thank you!

I agree, Pun Pun makes an awesome chicken fried steak. I'm a big guy, 30 years as a long haul trucker, it was all I could do to finish it, had to take the apple pie home to eat later.

After reading all the posts about the influx of Chinese folks coming to CM, I have made the decision to start practicing my Chinese.

So for the kind words above, my big THANK YOU to BB & LamLod711

wai2.gif

British food would include British taste chicken tikka masala, etc. as well as fish and chips, roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, etc..

British food would NOT really include wonderful international authentic food being sold there.

Same with American food.

American food would include American style lasagna as well as New England clam chowder, Shrimp Etouffee , etc..

American food would NOT really include wonderful international authentic food being sold there.

By your theory it seems good German food available in places like Pattaya would be Thai food because it is sold in Thailand. Nope.

Of course there are always grey areas. A big one in the USA is Mexican food. Given that large land masses in the USA used to be Mexico and the USA has multiple styles of its own Mexican, Mexican food can easily be either/both Mexican or American.

If you are accusing me of thinking American food overall is vastly more varied and interesting than British food overall, I would plead very guilty. If my opinion offends some people, tough titties.

Ooops!

"Americans and Australians may be English-speaking but they are none too keen on English eating, according to a survey.

People from the US and Australia, as well as Norway, voted the UK as having the worst local food, the poll by Hotels.com found.

In contrast, Britons voted the US as the best for family dining, the best for value and the best for street food."

If there were restaurants in almost every high street of Thailand, cooking a localized version of German food, and if German food was part of the general Thai diet, then German food might not be considered "Thai food", but i think it would be considered as "food of Thailand", just as the way now, a lot of "Thai food" available up and down the country has its origins in places like China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, but when tourists return home from their holidays in Thailand and rave to their friends about the food, they rave about it as all being Thai food, even if technically it might not be, because people i think are more concerned with what food is being sold, what food is available in a country, and how good it tastes, than they are about the history of the food.

And in the UK, if you have been there recently, you would know that a wide variety of great inexpensive food is readily available, and a lot of it can not be bought anywhere else, because in other places, their version of it often doesn't taste the same. Why Americans and Australians look down their noses at UK food i really have no idea. I have traveled a lot in both those countries and did not find it at all easy finding decent food. With Australians i suspect it may have something to do with racist stereotyping, and i would question how many of those Australians have ever even been to the UK. Most "pommies" i think who have spent any time in Australia will be very familiar will the constant joking that goes on about the "mother land" having terrible weather, terrible food, and dirty people who moan all the time. You kind of smile the first time you hear it, but after a year of living there, it gets tedious. As for the Americans, you really would have thought with American food around the world being renowned pretty much solely for Big Macs, they would understand what it is to have a countries cuisine typecast and generalized about, and would be the last ones to be making snide remarks about other people's food.

Finally, if you really want to limit the parameters of what it considered "British food" as being only the food that historically originates from Britain, i don't think British food really has as much to be ashamed of as people like to suggest. Shepherds Pie, Toad in the Hole, Fish and Chips, Lancashire Hot Pot, Steak and Kidney Pie, Kippers, Afternoon Tea, Mashed Potatoes, Cumberland Sausages, English Breakfast, Sunday Roast Joint.... it might not be sophisticated flashy food, but with decent ingredients and a decent cook, darn does it taste good. I'd eat it every day if i could.

Same with American food.

Ooops!

If there were restaurants in almost every high street of Thailand, cooking a localized version of German food, and if German food was part of the general Thai diet, then German food might not be considered "Thai food", but i think it would be considered as "food of Thailand", just as the way now, a lot of "Thai food" available up and down the country has its origins in places like China, Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Malaysia, but when tourists return home from their holidays in Thailand and rave to their friends about the food, they rave about it as all being Thai food, even if technically it might not be, because people i think are more concerned with what food is being sold, what food is available in a country, and how good it tastes, than they are about the history of the food.

And in the UK, if you have been there recently, you would know that a wide variety of great inexpensive food is readily available, and a lot of it can not be bought anywhere else, because in other places, their version of it often doesn't taste the same. Why Americans and Australians look down their noses at UK food i really have no idea. I have traveled a lot in both those countries and did not find it at all easy finding decent food. With Australians i suspect it may have something to do with racist stereotyping, and i would question how many of those Australians have ever even been to the UK. Most "pommies" i think who have spent any time in Australia will be very familiar will the constant joking that goes on about the "mother land" having terrible weather, terrible food, and dirty people who moan all the time. You kind of smile the first time you hear it, but after a year of living there, it gets tedious. As for the Americans, you really would have thought with American food around the world being renowned pretty much solely for Big Macs, they would understand what it is to have a countries cuisine typecast and generalized about, and would be the last ones to be making snide remarks about other people's food.

Finally, if you really want to limit the parameters of what it considered "British food" as being only the food that historically originates from Britain, i don't think British food really has as much to be ashamed of as people like to suggest. Shepherds Pie, Toad in the Hole, Fish and Chips, Lancashire Hot Pot, Steak and Kidney Pie, Kippers, Afternoon Tea, Mashed Potatoes, Cumberland Sausages, English Breakfast, Sunday Roast Joint.... it might not be sophisticated flashy food, but with decent ingredients and a decent cook, darn does it taste good. I'd eat it every day if i could.

Was a good post in itself, and then it became a very good post with the final sentence............... could you please elaborate on the "Roast Joint"... Never heard of roasting ...

tongue.png

• Like 1

+1 for Pun Pun.

I've been out here ~3 weeks and woke up this morning with a hankering for a good old fashioned American breakfast.. Something HEARTY! Heard tons of good things about Pun Pun on here so I figured I'd give it a shot. What a gem. Opted for the super chicken friend steak breakfast (I believe)... All I can say is I almost didn't make the walk home I was so full! Big cup of coffee, OJ, chicken fried steak & gravy, 3 eggs, potatoes and french bread toast... Everything was prepared perfectly.. Great company too! Can't wait to bring some friends, I know they'll dig it as much as I did. John, if you see this, was a pleasure meeting ya- See you again real soon!

+1 for Pun Pun.

I've been out here ~3 weeks and woke up this morning with a hankering for a good old fashioned American breakfast.. Something HEARTY! Heard tons of good things about Pun Pun on here so I figured I'd give it a shot. What a gem. Opted for the super chicken friend steak breakfast (I believe)... All I can say is I almost didn't make the walk home I was so full! Big cup of coffee, OJ, chicken fried steak & gravy, 3 eggs, potatoes and french bread toast... Everything was prepared perfectly.. Great company too! Can't wait to bring some friends, I know they'll dig it as much as I did. John, if you see this, was a pleasure meeting ya- See you again real soon!

Well, Stacks it was also a pleasure meeting you...... Like an overseeing parent, its always good to see someone clear their plate. ....and I must say yours was very cleared and cleaned. Thanks for the kind remarks and look forward to your next visit and do bring some of your friends.

G

Best American Breakfast I've found is at Butter is Better on Chang Klan Road. Home made breads and everything made from scratch. Their suasage is so-so, however everything else I've had is great. Pancakes are among the best I've had anywhere - normally pancakes in Asia have no flavor other than what you put on them, but their's are great (whole wheat, buttermilk, buckwheat, blueberry, etc). Very good coffee too (though if you are a Starbucks fan, which I'm not, you might feel otherwise).

Texas Bar B Q in Chiang Mai... I wish !!!

Duke's has a good Cajun Chicken sandwich and many other decent American comfort food items as well. The buns they use for their sandwiches are top notch.

Best American Breakfast I've found is at Butter is Better on Chang Klan Road. Home made breads and everything made from scratch. Their suasage is so-so, however everything else I've had is great. Pancakes are among the best I've had anywhere - normally pancakes in Asia have no flavor other than what you put on them, but their's are great (whole wheat, buttermilk, buckwheat, blueberry, etc). Very good coffee too (though if you are a Starbucks fan, which I'm not, you might feel otherwise).

Texas Bar B Q in Chiang Mai... I wish !!!

Duke's has a good Cajun Chicken sandwich and many other decent American comfort food items as well. The buns they use for their sandwiches are top notch.

Thanks for the endorsement. As for the sausage patties (I'm guessing that's what you are referring to) I think the problem is that our staff is overcooking them so all the fat runs out and they get hard. This is because a few of our more vociferous customers want most of the fat out. Why eat sausages if you don't want fat? At any rate, we're trying to get the waitresses to ask our customers if they want the sausage patties regular or well done. Soon we'll be putting them in casings so that should help them stay juicy.

We also use that sausage meat in our biscuit and gravy. Our biscuits are the old fashioned kind made with cream. (Our British customers insist that they are really scones.) Our recipe took it's final form thanks to a customer named Tex who hails, naturally enough, from Oklahoma. Anyway, we get lots of (American) southerners, who love our biscuit and gravy.