The Hippie Trail......

theblether

Charles Sobhraj

was probably the biggest danger when I was here....so non Thais have always been a problem hee.

Charles Sobhraj's exploits on the Hippie Trail and later in Bangkok, based at the Malaysia Hotel and Kanit House, Soi Saladang are a fascinating story.

Well told by Richard Neville and Julie Clarke in their book, The Life and Crimes of Charles Sobhraj.

As far as I know he's still in jail in Katmandu, doing time for one of the dozens of killings he's been suspected of.

His activities in Bangkok are covered extensively in the 1979 Neville/Clarke book. They had access to primary sources; people who knew him.

In particular the young French couple Nadine and Remy Gires who were very close to him in the mid '70s when they had apartments in Kanit House.

The book is especially interesting because it details the case made against Sobhraj for multiple murders in Thailand by Herman Knippenberg, then Third Secretary at the Royal Netherlands Embassy.

He began by investigating the disappearance of a Dutch couple whose burned bodies were later found near Pattaya.

With the help of the Gires and others, Knippenberg was able to present evidence to the Keystone Kops - excuse me, i mean the Thai Police, that led to arrest warrants being issued for several murders.

But by that time Sobhraj had fled to India - only to be arrested there in 1976 for other killings.

His 1986 escape from Tihar Prison in Delhi and rearrest soon after in Goa was thought to be an attempt to extend his jail time in India until a 20 year statute of limitations expired on an international warrant for his arrest in Thailand.

I was at the Malasia Hotel at the time...and think I knew one of the victims slightly.

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hitchiked through Europe back in 1968 with a mate and his girlfriend. I hitched on my own and we used to arrange to meet up at campsites along the way. First to arrive would wait until the other party turned up. Our destination was India but we were in no rush and I remember spending a month on the island of Cofu on a beach. No electricity and drinks were kept cold down a well at the local bar. We could see in the distance along the coast that there were hotels being constructed and the locals were quite excited at the prospect of finally getting electricity. We liked it better without electricity.....a novelty to us, I suppose.

When we reached Athens it was decided between my mate and me that his girlfriend wasn't the right material for travelling 'rough' and we managed to send her home by putting her on the magic bus that went direct to London. It was quite a relief to be shot of her. We continued on to Istanbul and met up with quite a few travellers at the Pudding shop that were returning home from India. There were several horror stories being told to us about the locals on route burning your hair if it was long (which ours was) enough for us to decide not go any further east. We turned back and hitched up to Scandinavia instead.

I regretted not getting to India but some year's later

and travelled to countries such as Iran, Iraq, Syria and Jordan. So my lust for travelling through Turkey and beyond was eventually satisfied still sporting long hair so I think those horror stories told to us were somewhat exagerated!!

Ha! That's a couple of things we have in common! It was Corfu that I stayed for three months in '67. I got a ferry ticket from Brindisi to Patras, and the ticket allowed you to disembark in Corfu for a couple of days and then continue your journey to Patras on another ferry of the same line. I got off for a couple of days, and was still there three months later. And in fact, that's where I live now, and have done for the past ten years.

"...(mid 70's) I had become a long distance lorry driver..."

I lived in Australia most of the '70s, And I was doing just that - interstate driving!

b3610be5-774e-4e13-9b49-6f0b7713b320.jpg

I've been fiddling with photobucket to see if I can post thumbnails. This is my first attempt - I hope it works! If it does, I'll put up some more photos.

Hmmm. Not working very well. Some more work needed!

Edited by nisakiman

Charles Sobhraj

was probably the biggest danger when I was here....so non Thais have always been a problem hee.

Charles Sobhraj's exploits on the Hippie Trail and later in Bangkok, based at the Malaysia Hotel and Kanit House, Soi Saladang are a fascinating story.

Well told by Richard Neville and Julie Clarke in their book, The Life and Crimes of Charles Sobhraj.

As far as I know he's still in jail in Katmandu, doing time for one of the dozens of killings he's been suspected of.

His activities in Bangkok are covered extensively in the 1979 Neville/Clarke book. They had access to primary sources; people who knew him.

In particular the young French couple Nadine and Remy Gires who were very close to him in the mid '70s when they had apartments in Kanit House.

The book is especially interesting because it details the case made against Sobhraj for multiple murders in Thailand by Herman Knippenberg, then Third Secretary at the Royal Netherlands Embassy.

He began by investigating the disappearance of a Dutch couple whose burned bodies were later found near Pattaya.

With the help of the Gires and others, Knippenberg was able to present evidence to the Keystone Kops - excuse me, i mean the Thai Police, that led to arrest warrants being issued for several murders.

But by that time Sobhraj had fled to India - only to be arrested there in 1976 for other killings.

His 1986 escape from Tihar Prison in Delhi and rearrest soon after in Goa was thought to be an attempt to extend his jail time in India until a 20 year statute of limitations expired on an international warrant for his arrest in Thailand.

I was at the Malasia Hotel at the time...and think I knew one of the victims slightly.

Did you know Ajay Chowdury by any chance? He was Sobhraj's right-hand man; staying at the Malaysia to steer marks to Kanit House.

I don't think he's ever been caught.

I didn't get to Bangkok until October '78 so I missed the party.

Charles Sobhraj

Did you know Ajay Chowdury by any chance? He was Sobhraj's right-hand man; staying at the Malaysia to steer marks to Kanit House.

I don't think he's ever been caught.

I didn't get to Bangkok until October '78 so I missed the party.

To tell the truth I was too busy enjoying the wonderful world of educational entertainment provided by a couple of rather nice thai girls so did not take too much notice of anything else....It was the time the song was a hit on constant rotation on the radio and you would never guess how well the rythm synchronised.

Charles Sobhraj

Fascinating stuff......here's the wiki link to Pattaya based serial killer Sobhraj

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Sobhraj

A quote from the link..............

" finally (and rather boldly) returned to Bangkok, although he knew he was being pursued by authorities there. The clan were interrogated by Thai policemen in connection with the murders, but let off the hook, shockingly because authorities feared that the negative publicity accompanying a murder trial would harm the country's tourist trade. "

There's nothing new under the Sun eh?? rolleyes.gif

Charles Sobhraj

Fascinating stuff......here's the wiki link to Pattaya based serial killer Sobhraj

" finally (and rather boldly) returned to Bangkok, although he knew he was being pursued by authorities there. The clan were interrogated by Thai policemen in connection with the murders, but let off the hook, shockingly because authorities feared that the negative [/size]publicity accompanying a murder trial would harm the country's tourist trade. "[/size]

There's nothing new under the Sun eh?? rolleyes.gif [/size] [/size]

Sobraj was Bangkok based.

One could say he's partly responsible for me being here...in 1979 I was 17 and read a book called "Serpentine" - after reading "In Cold Blood" I was keen on some quality true crime - and it really fascinated me. I certainly didn't think I wanted to be like Sobraj or meet anyone like him but the Hippie Trail played a prominent role and the exotic adventures available there beckoned...there were other things that led me here 2 years (1981) later but that book was definitely some of what planted the seed.

Since I've read a lot about him (including the Life and Crimes book mentioned above) and find the story to be a fascinating one. The fact that I hung out at the Malaysia and The Blue Fox - the reason Sobraj used them is that they were central meeting points and places of information for SEA travellers - in my first months here only added to it.

The Hippie Trail wasn't really in existence any more but some of those who blazed it were still around and a few of them or those who came a few years after it had first been blazed sort of mentored me in the art of surviving in SEA without having brought a lot of funds...and it has to be said about life in that world of hustle and living in gray areas: Sobraj was more ruthless and deadly than most but he was by no means the only shark in the water...backpackers like myself who wanted to travel around the region o the cheap had to be careful who we fell in with and who might want to "help" us make it.

Edited by SteeleJoe
  • Like 1

One evening in Peshawar was spent with Dr. Timothy Leary, who was on the run at that time, having been broken out of a California (minimum security, I believe) jail by the Brotherhood. The Brotherhood was a loose cabal of long-haired dope dealers who gained local (Afghanistan) notoriety for for their importing of centrifuges, thus automating the production of hash oil!

Another memorable evening in Bombay (Mumbai) I was dragged along by a friend to see his latest guru at a private reception in a posh Malabar Hill apartment. There I was introduced to a then little-known Rajneesh, he of the multiple Rolls Royce automobiles and communes in Oregon and Pune India. He had the largest private library I have ever seen and had the most hypnotic gaze. I sometimes think I missed a bet by not signing on in those very early days. I might have ended up with one of those Rolls Royce cars myself.....But there was no way I was going to walk around in orange robes!

I sat in a pub in Bern, Switzerland a long time ago (?1971?) and chatted with an interesting guy that I later worked out and was told was Timothy Leary. Nice guy, a little crazy I thought, never saw him again. Cafe des Pyrenees

My LSD days were done with, so he didn't interest himself much for what I had to say, I just listened. Many Swiss artists around the table then that have since gained fame. The cafe, as far as I know has not changed since then, one of the few Bernese cafes that are still the same. I am proud to say that I was partly responsible for keeping the character of the place -a pimp took over the place and decided to get hippies and company out, I was working for the owner at the time, Mr. Hess, nice guy who listened.

Cooked you Really met Leary himself? Next to Carlos Castaneda he was 1 of the founders of documenting psychedelic effectsthumbsup.gif . This guy is a legend.

eeeuh i googled him, further no relationwhistling.gif .

Man ... like you, I was born in the 60's.

Ah yes, the babes of the world cheesy.gif

Look what you missed out on. biggrin.png

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQNN1VfgQDQ amongst other things,

was what started my descent from being a well paid public servant to being, eventually, a self employed landscape gardener.

Yes Dancealot, I met him, he was just this guy, I only knew that he had fled California, didn't know at the time that he was in Europe.

In a previous post I mentioned that I'd spent some time in Chitral. The journey there was interesting, to put it mildly. The bus from Peshawar to Dir was straightforward, but from Dir you had to change to 4WD. They mostly used old Willys jeeps. First they would load them up with luggage / goods to about the height of the bars that support the canvas at the back, then about ten or twelve passengers would pile on board. Overloaded doesn't begin to describe it. The road itself was a rough dirt track cut into the mountainside, barely wider than the jeep and a sheer cliff on one side and a sheer drop on the other. In places the track had been half destroyed by a rockslide, and when we got to these sections, everyone would disembark, the jeep would be unloaded and a long pole (helpfully propped up against the cliff for precisely this purpose) would be threaded under one side of the jeep, over the abyss and to the other side of the missing bit of road. The passengers would take the weight at each end and support the side of the jeep hanging over the nothingness while the driver inched the jeep across the gap. Once that was done, the jeep would be reloaded and we would continue on our way. It was quite a journey.blink.png

We arrived in Chitral bazaar just after dawn and hit the tea house for a cuppa. I (as was normal in those parts of the world) had the squits, so I grabbed the tea-shop owner and asked him where the loo was. "Follow me" he said (in sign language - I didn't speak Chitrali), and led me out into a field next to the tea house. He swept his arm around, encompassing the field - "Here!" I didn't have time to argue, I was pretty desperate, so I dropped my trousers and squatted down. To my astonishment, he squatted down next to me and started asking me questions! "Where do you (brrrrrrp) come from? (Parp) How long (brrrrrrrrrrrrp) will you be (brrrrp) staying?" Heh! He squatted there chatting away until I'd finished, and washed my bum, and then walked back to the tea house with me as if it was the most normal thing in the world!

th_scan0028.jpg

This is the main (only) bazaar in Chitral. You can just make out Tirich Mir (one of the highest peaks in the Himalayas) in the background. The River Chitral runs alongside the town, and is a wide raging torrent, so heavy with sediment that it is slate grey in colour.

th_scan0035.jpg

This is the bridge over the River Chitral. The young lady in the foreground is a companion I'd taken up with.

I was looking to stay for a month or two, so wanted to find something better than the tiny room I was in. I was down by the river next to the Royal Palace (Chitral was a principality; the King had been killed in an air crash and his son was only young, so the uncle was acting Prince Regent until the son came of age) and I saw some neat little houses, right on the riverbank and unoccupied.

th_scan0022.jpg

The Royal Palace Main Entrance

So I knocked on a small door at the back of the palace (servant's entrance?) to ask if anyone knew who owned these houses. The first guy who answered the door spoke no English, but he beetled off and shortly another guy who spoke perfect English came to the door. I didn't know at the time, but it was the Prince Regent himself. So I asked him about the small houses, and if he knew if they could be rented for a month or two. "Ah" he said, "They are actually Palace guest houses, and they aren't for rent". I must have had a crestfallen look on my face, because he then said "But you can have one rent-free if you like."

th_scan0006.jpg

Palace guest house.

th_scan0024-1.jpg

th_scan0026.jpg

Me on the balcony of my rent-free guest house!

So I was sorted for accommodation. Not only that, but the Palace supplied three servants to do all the cleaning, laundry etc, and would send down a meal from the Palace every evening! Hah! In clover!

Ok, that'll do for now. I have some more pics to upload, but I'll do that later.

Even in Thailand in those days the orange busses, as the toilets at the bus stations were all pay ones and people did not want to use them, used to stop at night and everyone got out including the ladies, walled to a field and did their business.

Is anybody else jealous reading this thread or is it only just me? :-)

When my daughters were quite young on Sunday's I would take them to a Harley biker bar a few miles from our Florida swamp home. Good cheap beer, not many fights (everybody was packing), great live music and camaraderie of ex Monterey pop security forces and Vietnam Vets. The bikers would bring the kids free food and little black Harley tee shirts and the girls would get up on stage and belt out 60's tunes with the band.

During one stirring rendition of a Janis Joplin song my youngest look up and shouted over the din, “Dad, when is your generation going to end?”

post-73727-0-10161300-1361846649_thumb.j

• Like 2

Charles Sobhraj

" finally (and rather boldly) returned to Bangkok, although he knew he was being pursued by authorities there. The clan were interrogated by Thai policemen in connection with the murders, but let off the hook, shockingly because authorities feared that the negative publicity accompanying a murder trial would harm the country's tourist trade. "

There's nothing new under the Sun eh?? rolleyes.gif

Charles Sobhraj is well worth a topic of his own.

Although I don't think there are many people who could contribute to it with first-hand experience.

Those who were intimate with him very often didn't live to tell the tale.

All I know about him is what I read and what I've been told.

The reference to Sobhraj being "Pattaya based" is I believe, incorrect.

Pattaya was on the way to Chantaburi where he would take prospective customers - and victims - to buy gemstones.

No doubt he often visited the beautiful beach that I remember from the late '70s.

But I don't think he was ever based there. I may be wrong; and if so, I would like to know more about his life there.

When I first started going to Pattaya the over-development that was to pollute and destroy it by the mid '80s was just beginning.

There was the Beach Road with sois off of it and that was about it. A lot of small hotels and some very good restaurants and bars, mostly run by ex-Airforce guys from U-Tapao and their Thai families. John's Diner was especially good.

Charles Sobhraj and his friends would have had a swim and a meal then kept going.

• Like 1

Charles Sobhraj

There's nothing new under the Sun eh??

Although I don't think there are many people who could contribute to it with first-hand experience.

Pattaya was on the way to Chantaburi where he would take prospective customers - and victims - to buy gemstones.

No doubt he often visited the beautiful beach that I remember from the late '70s.

But I don't think he was ever based there. I may be wrong; and if so, I would like to know more about his life there.

When I first started going to Pattaya the over-development that was to pollute and destroy it by the mid '80s was just beginning.

There was the Beach Road with sois off of it and that was about it. A lot of small hotels and some very good restaurants and bars, mostly run by ex-Airforce guys from U-Tapao and their Thai families. John's Diner was especially good.

Charles Sobhraj and his friends would have had a swim and a meal then kept going.

As I said earlier, he was Bangkok based. He spent time down there and was known to take victims (murder or theft) there on occasion and killed at least a couple in that vicinity (a bit of story was made out of the fact that one victim was wearing a bikini) but his base was Kanit house in BKK (I actually have a picture of it but it's long gone).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Charles Sobhraj

There's nothing new under the Sun eh??

As I said earlier, he was Bangkok based. He spent time down there and was known to take victims (murder or theft) there on occasion and killed at least a couple in that vicinity (a bit of story was made out of the fact that one victim was wearing a bikini) but his base was Kanit house in BKK (I actually have a picture of it but it's long gone).

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

I wonder how many people who stay at THe Legend now give a thought to a previous occupier of the land. Hope they built a big spirit house.

• Like 1

Nisakiman - Thank you for great recollections and especially the photographs.They trigger my own memory to the smells of dust and spices and the pace of life on these narrow streets in Herat and the like. I am amazed at how well you remember everything , my memories seem" out of focus" for the most part.

Danger is something that is now being mentioned.I think the greatest danger in these days was our own naivete.The first time i ever felt threatened was walking toward The Golden Mosque in Mashad {Iran} with an "uncovered " girl.The men were getting increasingly aggressive and eventually physical.and it was down to our complete lack of understanding of where we were and what we were doing.

Another occasion , crossing the border from Iran into Afghanistan, as it was getting dark.The Afghans would not let us continue the relatively short trip to Herat and insisted we eat a meal.We assumed we were being conned into buying a meal but as it transpired they were making sure we did not set off into the darkness alone and were waiting for a number of trucks and cars to do the trip as a convoy.Less likely to be picked off by bandits.

The very rudimentary rooms and guesthouses we stayed in on the trip never had locks on the door that were still in working order and in various countries always when i was travelling with a girlfriend, the door would swing open in the middle of the night and a bunch of men would be staring into the room.This sounds absolutely terrifying now as i recount it but amazingly it never went further than that.They were obviously intrigued at the thought of seeing a foreign girl naked or more.This as an experience just blurred into everything else.We were young and invincible.

Now as i head toward my pension, i'm terrified by the thoughts of so many of the things i did back then, but so glad i can look back on it all with so few regrets.

• Like 2

^^ That reminds me of a story re my Dad. We lived in a mine housing complex in Marampa, Sierra Leone. The complex had a cinema and the arrival of a new movie was always big news. We all turned up to watch a new release called The Naked Prey, a story about a hunting expedition being captured and tortured by African natives. They released one guy and hunted him across the jungle......

Scary stuff.....wee blether aged four disappeared out the door at least 6 times during the movie. Anyway when it finished my Dad walked out to see the collective of serving boys, drivers and porters waiting for the assembled families and exclaimed......

" Oh <deleted> "

Much hilarity ensued but my Dad always says some bast*rd had a cruel sense of humour sending that movie to a mining camp in the middle of the jungle. laugh.png

^^ That reminds me of a story re my Dad. We lived in a mine housing complex in Marampa, Sierra Leone. The complex had a cinema and the arrival of a new movie was always big news. We all turned up to watch a new release called The Naked Prey, a story about a hunting expedition being captured and tortured by African natives. They released one guy and hunted him across the jungle......

Scary stuff.....wee blether aged four disappeared out the door at least 6 times during the movie. Anyway when it finished my Dad walked out to see the collective of serving boys, drivers and porters waiting for the assembled families and exclaimed......

" Oh <deleted> "

Much hilarity ensued but my Dad always says some bast*rd had a cruel sense of humour sending that movie to a mining camp in the middle of the jungle. laugh.png

I guess just like in Papua New Guinea with Pirate films were always barracking for the white guys.

• Like 1

I'm a little slow joining in the discussion of Charles Sohbraj, but I was hiding out from my last post, where I think I came across as some kind of hippie politician. biggrin.png I'm not an expert on the phenomenon, I just lived a part of it...

I also lived through the Indian part of the Sohbraj story real-time. I remember the botched robbery of the jewelry store at the Ashoka Hotel and his capture, imprisonment and escape from custody. I remember his arrest for the drugging of the French tourists. Stories of the murders in Thailand surfaced next, followed by reports that he was living very well in Tihar Jail. There was lots written of him in the Indian press and he definitely had celebrity status.

Since then, I've noted the intermittent news stories updating his "career", and was aware that he is currently jailed in Nepal. I always wondered how he supported himself when he returned or was allowed to return to France. Selling the rights to his story, it would appear.

You could probably spend a considerable amount of time asking random well-informed people who Charles Sohbraj is before getting a positive hit, but here we are talking about him like he was a hometown boy. Which in a way he was, because his victims were our people, young travelers like us. It was very close to home.

Yes, there were sharks in the water.

nisakiman, nice stories about Chitral and you tell a good tale. clap2.gif

Look good in that Pathan gear as well. biggrin.png

• Like 1