The Hippie Trail......

theblether

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Blether....memories are flooding back of the sixties, since reading your post.

No Matter where we all were, and what we were doing, you would have to agree, that was definitely the best era to be in...

The "Nimbin Hippies" were the most creative in my area...to a point where it became a tourist attraction.

went to Nimbin many times now full of rubbernecks...

& sadly, heroin

Edited by simple1

First of all, let's define the term.

The Hippie Trail was the road from Istambul to Katmandu.

It was first done as a road trip in 1957 by Boris Lissanevitch - the legendary Boris of Katmandu.

Before that, it was only the likes of Sven Hedin and Marc Aurel Stein who were able to mount full-scale expeditions who could attempt it.

By the time I did it in 1976 with a friend riding a BMW 650 it was a route well travelled.

Paul Theroux's 1975 book The Great Railway Bazaar had popularized it to the extent that there were areas in all the cities and larger towns that catered to our wants and needs. Sultan Amet; Chicken Street; Freak Street and many more. Places like that eventually became models for the tourist ghettoes that we see everywhere today.

Katmandu was the end of the rainbow, but that scene had changed dramatically with the death in 1972 of old King Mahendra and the accession of the Crown Prince Birendra.

The son of an oriental despot with a Harvard education - you can just imagine the kulturkamph that must have been going on inside his head. And it manifested itself in some bizarre actions as soon as he ascended the throne.

Ganga was outlawed; the inspiration for much of their culture from the psychedelic Newar woodcarvings to the little impromptu evening concerts at Hindu shrines [when the coughing stops, the music starts]. And the draconian tightening of visa regulations making long stays too expensive.

The hippies fit right in. They were just like another Asiatic ethnic group or tribe. Their flamboyant dress and love of jewelery; their veneration for the Sacred Herb; their live and let live way of life that didn't pose a threat to anybody except maybe some of their tightass compatriots back home.

And then in 1978 it really ended with the Iranian Revolution and the Russian invasion of Afganistan the following year.

The Russians, with their predessors the British in mind, were determined to prove true Marx's old maxim that history repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce.

The Russian tragedy has been followed by the American farce, thus bringing it full-circle.

The trip from Istambul to Katmandu was a life-changing experience for almost all of us who did it.

It led me on to Thailand and to eventually becoming the head of a household here and part of an extended Thai family.

That's been a trip in itself, but nothing like the Hippie Trail.

I think you are narrowing the scope of the Hippy Trail more than you should. It really was like the Silk Road...a collection of trails spreading from the East of Asia to the West of Europe. Through its existance routes changed many times Burma opened and shut. Pakistan and India fought and opened and shut borders. Iran remained consistantly open though the American Government did not like its citizens going through there. Afganistan was just one part of the puzzle.

• Like 1

Short story;

I was working in oil exploration in West Australia (1968) coastal desert & once on leave read about hippies and 'free love' in London - sounded great so got the next ship back to U.K. Second night in London joined a hippie commune with an old school friend. Never did the overland trip to India but went down to Morocco (living theater) and all around Europe. Lived on the beaches and shared houses in Spain, France, Switzerland, Greece, house boat in Amsterdam etc for 4 years. Made money by working on farms, selling 'stuff' and so on. Some of the best life experiences plus exploring new ideas/theories - some of you may remember the likes of Tibetan Book of the Dead and books covering subjects such as ancient aliens visiting South America. Somebody mentioned Santana, I was in Geneva so went to his concert at Montreux. Ended up ODing twice so went straight & got into very disciplined mediation environment for 5 years.

Eventually got into the world of MNC's.

• Like 2

New age hippy trail. Khao San road then the bus down to Koh Phangan Had Rin

Sadly until 20 to 10 years ago sad.png

When I got to Goa, India in 1992, there were only a few real hippies left - the Manchester ectasy crowd were taking over.

I was told that the hippies had left and gone to places like Thailand. The same year, I went to Koh PaNgan and the full moon parties were getting commercialized. I heard that the real hippies had gone to places like Myanmar and Indonesia etc.

Thank God for the hippies - they discovered many beautiful paradise beaches - until the crowds started arriving.

I find it ironic now the retired civil servants that look down on the long-haired backpackers in Khao San Road - if it weren't for this type of care-free, adventurous traveller, they would be retiring to places like Benidorm,

• Like 1

The hippy trail is all over Thailand now Chiang mai to pai to the japan festival in Chang duo shalnalla of the heart then of course hidden places in Laos and Cambodia doing tantric yoga and all that..fly to India.m working on laptops...

Must be different than back in the day.. but there is still flower powers out there..

• Like 1

It was first done as a road trip in 1957 by Boris Lissanevitch - the legendary Boris of Katmandu.

Before that, it was only the likes of Sven Hedin and Marc Aurel Stein who were able to mount full-scale expeditions who could attempt it.

By the time I did it in 1976 with a friend riding a BMW 650 it was a route well travelled.

Paul Theroux's 1975 book The Great Railway Bazaar had popularized it to the extent that there were areas in all the cities and larger towns that catered to our wants and needs. Sultan Amet; Chicken Street; Freak Street and many more. Places like that eventually became models for the tourist ghettoes that we see everywhere today.

Katmandu was the end of the rainbow, but that scene had changed dramatically with the death in 1972 of old King Mahendra and the accession of the Crown Prince Birendra.

The son of an oriental despot with a Harvard education - you can just imagine the kulturkamph that must have been going on inside his head. And it manifested itself in some bizarre actions as soon as he ascended the throne.

Ganga was outlawed; the inspiration for much of their culture from the psychedelic Newar woodcarvings to the little impromptu evening concerts at Hindu shrines [when the coughing stops, the music starts]. And the draconian tightening of visa regulations making long stays too expensive.

The hippies fit right in. They were just like another Asiatic ethnic group or tribe. Their flamboyant dress and love of jewelery; their veneration for the Sacred Herb; their live and let live way of life that didn't pose a threat to anybody except maybe some of their tightass compatriots back home.

And then in 1978 it really ended with the Iranian Revolution and the Russian invasion of Afganistan the following year.

The Russians, with their predessors the British in mind, were determined to prove true Marx's old maxim that history repeats itself, first as tragedy, then as farce.

The Russian tragedy has been followed by the American farce, thus bringing it full-circle.

The trip from Istambul to Katmandu was a life-changing experience for almost all of us who did it.

It led me on to Thailand and to eventually becoming the head of a household here and part of an extended Thai family.

I think you are narrowing the scope of the Hippy Trail more than you should. It really was like the Silk Road...a collection of trails spreading from the East of Asia to the West of Europe. Through its existance routes changed many times Burma opened and shut. Pakistan and India fought and opened and shut borders. Iran remained consistantly open though the American Government did not like its citizens going through there. Afganistan was just one part of the puzzle.

Well, Afghanistan was quite an important part of the puzzle, i was about 1 year too late when i travelled from India to Europe, i can remember the streets of Quetta, just close to the border, lined with hundreds of Afghan refugees.

Those times they were hoping for the Americans to help them chase the Russians, nobody could have guessed that Afghanistan would have been ruined forever with the advent of the talibans.

Iran was theatre of the Islamic revolution, it took just 2 days to cross it, we knew just years later about the extent of the human rights suppression going on there, we were too young to care in '79.

The trip was fun anyway, great experience !

A few years after my trip to India, to escape the civil war in Beirut i ended up in Southern Egypt, got a boat into Sudan at a place called Wadi Halfa and crossed The Nubian Desert to Khartoum, then down to Juba in Southern Sudan. A barge back up the Nile to the Nubian Mountains and across into Ethiopia. This trip made the "hippie trail" feel like a 5 star luxury jaunt

• Like 1

No, I disagree with you. I haven't narrowed the scope at all.

The definition of the Hippy Trail as the road between Istanbul and Katmandu is accurate.

Just like the high road from London to Edinburgh is simply that. It's not the road to Wigan Pier or the Yellowbrick Road to the Emerald City of Oz.

You can expand the meaning of anything until it becomes fuzzy and indistinct; like The Summer of Love or The Woodstock Generation or Haight-Ashbury or Carnaby Street as cultural concepts.

But instead of giving them more meaning, you give them less. You create fantasy.

It's the people who were in San Francisco in the summer of '68, or ankle-deep in mud on Yasgur's Farm the following year, or who made the scene in London in those days who know what the reality was.

For sure, the Hippie Trail was a lot more than a road. But how much more, and in exactly what ways depended on the individual who experienced it.

• Like 1

No, I disagree with you. I haven't narrowed the scope at all.

The definition of the Hippy Trail as the road between Istanbul and Katmandu is accurate.

Just like the high road from London to Edinburgh is simply that. It's not the road to Wigan Pier or the Yellowbrick Road to the Emerald City of Oz.

You can expand the meaning of anything until it becomes fuzzy and indistinct; like The Summer of Love or The Woodstock Generation or Haight-Ashbury or Carnaby Street as cultural concepts.

But instead of giving them more meaning, you give them less. You create fantasy.

It's the people who were in San Francisco in the summer of '68, or ankle-deep in mud on Yasgur's Farm the following year, or who made the scene in London in those days who know what the reality was.

For sure, the Hippie Trail was a lot more than a road. But how much more, and in exactly what ways depended on the individual who experienced it.

Your definition others differ

eg http://www.richardgregory.org.uk/history/hippie-trail.htm

http://www.magicbus.info/

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/europe/the-lonely-planet-journey-the-hippie-trail-6257275.html

It seems that lots of people disagree with you. Yes It was one part of the trail....but so was the one I traced from Australia through Indonesia Singapore Thailand Laos Burma India then round India by Enfield Mini Bullet spending 2 years then across Pakistan through Quetta and then into Iran and Turkey with the bike (sometimes on trains and buses because of conditions) A couple more years in Turkey. Then the other half ot the trail in reverse from Turkey through Europe on the bike.

Sorry there is more to the trail than the part of it you describe.;

Edited by harrry

Has anyone else seen the "No Hippies!" sign at the border when entering Thailand via Malaysia by train? It looks pretty old and lists identifying characteristics of hippies, which may get you denied entry to the kingdom (long hair, beard, sandles etc). So there must have been a lot of hippies arriving at some point, although there were a few hippyish-looking backpackers that day and I never noticed any of them getting turned away.

Great reminiscenes by the way, keep them coming.

crazy.gif My authentic hippie memories -- the only thing of interest to hippies about Thailand back then was Thai Stick. Not that Thai Stick was chopped liver though. crazy.gif

No, not talking about rice noodles.

Much more interest in India and amazingly Afghanistan.

Not so. Besides Thai Stick there was a scene here in Bangkok and it was one of the primary stopping points...on Soi Ngam Duplee (which was still hanging on into 81' when I got here) and such... Edited by SteeleJoe

I wanted to be a hippie soldier like the guy in the photo but my CO gave me five bucks (MPC actually) a week to get a haircut at the Dragon Ladies haircut and boom boom and massage emporium. So I took the path of least resistance and got a haircut and my fatigues custom tailored and starched and ironed and changed them three times a day.

The guy in the photo didn't look like that when he served: indeed some tailored and starched REMF garritrooper calling him a "hippie soldier" is a bit much given he was serving as a decorated combat troop.

Did the true "hippies" even know HOW to find their way out of California? I doubt if most could even afford the price of a plane ticket.

Boy you are young. The movement started on the East coast of the US with Beatniks and then moved to the West coast. Try reading The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. The New York Times called The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test "not simply the best book on hippies… [but also] the essential book. You also might want to read, " Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers"

The youth of the 1960's were the only generation in North America to actually do something beyond sit on their bums and sponge off of mom and dad. Stopping the war in Vietnam, Civil rights movement, 2nd wave Feminism, gay rights, Hispanic and Chicano movement to name a few. Actually one might say every generation before and after the Hippies were lost.

Good post but you sell the other generations a bit short (showing your age, I'm afraid!); in particular you do a great disservice to the people of the 50's who REALLY moved the struggle for civil rights into it's most important phase - and risked their lives in doing so.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

Did the true "hippies" even know HOW to find their way out of California? I doubt if most could even afford the price of a plane ticket.

Boy you are young. The movement started on the East coast of the US with Beatniks and then moved to the West coast. Try reading The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test. The New York Times called The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test "not simply the best book on hippies… [but also] the essential book. You also might want to read, " Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers"

The youth of the 1960's were the only generation in North America to actually do something beyond sit on their bums and sponge off of mom and dad. Stopping the war in Vietnam, Civil rights movement, 2nd wave Feminism, gay rights, Hispanic and Chicano movement to name a few. Actually one might say every generation before and after the Hippies were lost.

Good post but you sell the other generations a bit short (showing your age, I'm afraid!); in particular you do a great disservice to the people of the 50's who REALLY moved the struggle for civil rights into it's most important phase - and risked their lives in doing so.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa ap

In the US the Civil Rights Act of 1964 was the major legal change. I think all the participants would have to be over 60 now. For extra reading, "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_Civil_Rights_Movement_%281955%E2%80%931968%29

To have been politically active in the 1960's how old would you be now?