Stone Mason And Wood Carving Tools - Where To Buy Them ?

realthaideal

I've got a friend in town who's a stone mason, and he says he already spotted people working with hand-made chisels and the like. He'd like to pick some up for himself in the next few days while he's visiting. I'm wondering if anyone knows of a specialty store for these kinds of tools. I know the art store near the Irish pub has some tiny wood and fruit carving tools, but we're talking solid iron and steel here.

If you can only point me in a general direction that will still help plenty as I speak Thai and can navigate my way to specific places once I'm in an area.

Thanks!

I found a nice tool store on Chang Moi, but haven't been back in a couple months. Heading from the moat it is on the left (north) side of the street, within a block or so of the rattan shops and before soi 2. There are some big machetes in the window case, and a bunch of wood carving tools in a countertop case inside. They also had nail pullers made out of rebar and other heavy duty stuff, so there might be stone tools too. Seemed like nice tool store, I've been meaning to head back there.

• Like 1

I've never seen world-class wood carving tools for sale in Chiang Mai.

Forget the art stores.

The best bet is locally made hand-forged tools.

The shop referred to in the previous post is Lahn Suko - sign in Thai - and as he says, on Chang Moi, north side near the intersection with Chang Moi Kao and up a little towards the moat.

Otherwise, you might ask the woodcarvers in Bo Sang and Ban Tawai where they get their tools. But I wouldn't be suprised if they didn't tell you Lahn Suko. I think it's the only place that sells them in Chiang Mai.

Choke Dee

We made our way there yesterday and it was just as stated. The name was Sukko, and it was easy to find. The older lady said most of their thing come from Bangkok. Also, there were no stone-working tools, but a nice assortment of things for house and yardwork, not to mention heaps of interesting knives and tools. One curious thing I saw too, were 3 piles of tools and knives that had been refurbished and polished for the owners. I'm not sure if there was total blade replacement on a couple of the knives, but the blades were shiny and the handles looked to be at least 20 yrs old - so maybe a good place to get some old knives or tools restored if you're particularly attached.

Thanks for pointing the way, guys.