Thailand: ' Toilet Revolution' Targets Squat Stools

webfact

'Toilet revolution' targets squat stools

The Nation

30200369-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The Public Health Ministry's third-phase master plan for its 'toilet revolution', which aims to have 90 per cent of Thai households using Western-style seated toilets by 2016, was approved by the Cabinet yesterday.

newsjs

The proposal was raised out of concerns that squat toilets are to blame for a rise in osteoarthritis of the knee among Thais.

Deputy government spokesman Pakdihans Himathongkham said the Cabinet also set up a public toilet committee and sub-panels.

By 2016, the plan would see 10 per cent of public places having at least one seated toilet.

The plan also calls for 90 per cent of public toilets in tourist attractions, restaurants, fresh markets, airports, bus stations, petrol stations, schools, hospitals and state offices to meet international health, accessibility and safety standards.

The ministry also seeks to have 90 per cent of Thais using public toilets with good hygiene and 50 per cent of local administrative organisations to manage household waste according to the international hygiene principles.

Pakdihans said that by the end of 2011, 55.47 per cent of standard public toilets met health, accessibility and safety standards - missing the target of 60 per cent because of a lack of funding.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2013-02-20

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

i reckon the biggest experts in thailand on osteoarthritis of the knees in thai people are not from the health ministry but those i think who would have the most knowledge would be the long term employees of such establishments as lolitas and the star of light, those ladies know about sore knees.

The strategic location alongside the klong probably saved a lot on plumbing costs.

It looks like a portable one with the lugs on the concrete block and doesn't appear to have a tank so I guess the waste has to go somewhere.wink.png

The proposal was raised out of concerns that squat toilets are to blame for a rise in osteoarthritis of the knee among Thais.

How many hours per day would you have to spend squatting on the toilet to have any affect on your knees. ??

Not many. Until you have had a knee or hip injury, you will never appreciate the difficulties involved, especially when there are no rails or hand grips in most toilet facilities.

How many hours per day would you have to spend squatting on the toilet to have any affect on your knees. ??

Not many. Until you have had a knee or hip injury, you will never appreciate the difficulties involved, especially when there are no rails or hand grips in most toilet facilities.

Never mind the knee or hip injury, wait until you are 67. These squatters are not an option.

If everybody did the right things when going to a toilet it wouldn't be such an issue.

It's not the style of toilet but the people who make this a problem.

Hygiene is not something the Thais do well anyway plus farang in this country get a bit slack also.

Washing hands, flushing toilets, not leaking on the seats or floors for the matter.

Avoid using a hose to wash your a** cause they just never get cleaned, but then again

I would avoid public toilets all together, only if I really need to go do I ever use one.

• Like 1

Well I guess that means an explosion in sales of blue pipe and proper loos.

Whilst I can't stand squat loo's, what exactly is the issue? They are easy to clean, easy to maintain. Is this some kind of sign that the country hasn't progressed or somethings. Ironically, PTT has just built hundreds of brand new toilet blocks all over the country in their petrol stations, with 95% squat loos. Are they going to rip them all out?

Ministry embarrased by plethora or squat toilets in Thailand?

I never minded the squat toilets so much; its the plasic bowls with the brown stained rim that came with them that somehow you washed you <deleted> with after that always confused and disgusted me.

Are you suposed to hold it under and splash up or run the water down your back between your arse cheeks. I never really worked it out, either way it is horrible. brown stains cant be good. Just make the bum hose compusery.....

• Like 2