Thailand: ' Toilet Revolution' Targets Squat Stools

webfact

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What Thai's are - is double jointed genetically so squatting is no issue. Us white folk simply don't have joint or bone structure to make that happen easily. And as an aging expat I was once told doing up laces after 60 is like being wrapped in a space suit. Having reached that age I have to concur. But using the starting blocks for a loo is definitely not on my agenda. But it is an easy changeover as I did it for my wifes folks down South.

Edited by Locationthailand

Is it just me or does this toilet look all shewed and unlevel.

Makes no difference the Government likes it.

Seriously though it is a good plan. I had to put a western toilet in for my mother in law as squatting was painful on her knees.

It cost me less than 3,000 baht and her son did the work.

Some of the best money I have spent in Thailand.

What Thai's are - is double jointed genetically so squatting is no issue. Us white folk simply don't have joint or bone structure to make that happen easily. And as an aging expat I was once told doing up laces after 60 is like being wrapped in a space suit. Having reached that age I have to concur. But using the starting blocks for a loo is definitely not on my agenda. But it is an easy changeover as I did it for my wifes folks down South.

I bring you good news. Doing up laces after 70 is easy.

There you go a bright future.smile.png

my first time in thailand long long ago, when having the runners, it is quiet a shock if you do not find a western toilet and have to squat, possibly all over your ......

Try doing it after busting a knee cartilage high up in the mountains!

It is good that Thais, and Asians in general, are coming around to using western style toilets, but the formula has lost something in the translation. Many of the western style toilets now being sold and installed are undersized for all but smaller stature Asians - yes, they are cheaper. However, when the seat is 35 cm ( less than 14") above the floor, and you are 180 cm ( 5'10") or taller, it can become an athletic event to get back up to a standing position once finished -- and even more so, if you are a senior or have knee problems.

It reminds me of several toilets I have visited where the adult urinals are positioned with the top at about 75 cm, - meaning that you need to squat to use the urinal.

i reckon the biggest experts in thailand on osteoarthritis of the knees in thai people are not from the health ministry but those i think who would have the most knowledge would be the long term employees of such establishments as lolitas and the star of light, those ladies know about sore knees.

Na, those ladies mostly kneel down. They do not squat.

"The proposal was raised out of concerns that squat toilets are to blame for a rise in osteoarthritis of the knee among Thais."

This statement is totally illogical. If Thais have always used the squat method, how can it be blamed for a rise in osteo? If nothing has changed then there is no cause and effect.

• Like 1

I think there is a misnoma heading this article . The squat toilet provides nothing to sit on . Surely stools are what you flush down the toilet , if you are adept with the little bowl provided to scoop the water from the small reservoir or bucket of water . They say that the squat toilet creates a healthier physical position for defecation . Thais in rural arears are accustomed to squating , rather than sitting , so creating sit down toilets will not alter the said risk of arthritis in the knees . As an older man coming to live in rural Thailand , I could get down to squat , but had difficulty getting up again .

My Thai father in law is 90 , several years ago we installed a sit down toilet for him and a stainless steel hand hold on the wall . The first thing I did in our house was to convert to flush toilets .

The Public Health Ministry's third-phase master plan for its 'toilet revolution', which aims to have 90 per cent of Thai households using Western-style seated toilets by 2016, was approved by the Cabinet yesterday.

I like these government policies. Will we see a budget request to allow financial stimulation of the change-over from SquatStools to SeatedToilets?