Sending Debit Card Uk To Thailand

taninthai

Hi guys

Just a quick one what's the best and most secure way to send new debit card to Thailand and what timeframe can I expect ,only need comments from people that have done it and recieved card successfully not interested in horror stories from friends of friends who have lost their cards

Thanks in advance

Went through this problem only yesterday, Needed a debit card and card reader from Nat West.

Got on the phone to request one. 'Sorry you have to have an address in the UK', was the reply.

So I had to alter my address here to my daughter's Uk address, wait a couple of days for the account to be updated then they will send the card to daughter's address, then I have to go online to order a card reader. and then she will send both by registered mail to me as she does for my credit card.

Ok cheers guys ,yeah not sure about the birthday card as everyone then thinks there is money in there probably just go with a few sheets of paper in the envelope.The fedex way sounds good secure and quick will check post office prices tonight

Cheers

Oh and is it for the girlfriend......no she is happy with the 50 k I send every month........as if.

Edited by taninthai

Jiffy bag with card either side of the bank card. Had mine sent to UK address and then friend posted it to me. 8 days if I remember correctly. Someone at my school signed for it which is wrong but luckily I had tracked it and was waiting to pounce.

Tracking is the key to getting anything here.

Taping inside an old magazine in a brown (business-like) envelope works for me. The Birthday card suggestion should be avoided because:

a) They're too thin &

b ) They stick out like bulldogs <deleted> in transit:)

Edited by evadgib

Birthday card is inside a Jiffy bag which stops anyone seeing/ feeling the outline of a debit/credit card, cardboard or paper works just as well and as I said , never had a problem in seven years and a lot cheaper than FedEx or DHL . Personal choice.

• Like 1

I have sent Debit cards to Thailand 2 times. They were packaged inside other items - dry food items that no one would want. They went via USPS and Thai Post to business addresses. No problem either time. Also - the Debit cards I sent are of the type that the pin number is not embedded in the card strip. The pin number is able to be changed on line on a secure server or by an 800 number. I didn't feel much risk involved for this reason. Also they were prepaid debits cards which I could charge with money any time it was necessary. They were not debit cards attached to my checking account. And - I had a twin to each card - same account number with my name on it ... so I could empty the card at will at an ATM.

Edited by JDGRUEN

One more thing besides concealed posting: Tell your bank to block the card / set all limits to zero and only after you have confirmation of receipt, you will tell your bank to unblock the cards. That's something most UK banks do with credit cards anyway, activate them once the customer calls and confirms receipt. Easy and absolutely safe when stolen / lost in transit

My Uk Building Society when l first joined refused to send debit cards to Thailand but now they do in a plain envelope using registered mail from the UK. The pin number is sent days later with a letter telling me to contact them to activate the card and also to change the pin numbers. I used to have problems with withdrawing money fro ATM'S in Thailand but now my Building Society seems to accept that l live in Thailand and no problems for a couple of years

^

thanks so I take it that would be with royal mail(post office) uk side and then the thai postal service.

Barclays sent me a card reader the other week, registered mail (valid to the UK border only), at my request no personal info put in package. took 7 days to arrive. The Thai postal service ignored the post box fixed to the wall and simply threw a card on the ground outside my apartment block to advise me (in Thai since this is Thailand) that a parcel needed to be picked up. But once I'd found the sorting office it was handed over with the usual 'security' checks - Passport, DNA, Bankbook. Sorry you said no horror stories.