B T S To Raise Skytrain Fare

webfact

BTS to raise fare in few months

BANGKOK, 21 February 2013 (NNT) – The Bangkok Mass Transit System Public Company (BTS) has announced that it will raise its fare in a few months’ time to keep pace with rising labor and maintenance costs.

As a result of the approximately 70-80 percent increase in costs like electricity, labor, and maintenance, BTS fare will rise in the next few months. However, how much the fare will be increased is still under the BTS board’s consideration.

According to the BTS, it has not raised fare since 2005, while the concession contract sets a fare ceiling of 18-51 baht per trip which is 25% higher than the current rate. However, if the new fare is to be imposed, an announcement will be made 30 days in advance.

On Myanmar’s plan to reduce gas production for annual maintenance, the BTS is confident that the plan should not affect its operation as BTS trains only use a small amount of electricity while it has a backup generator in case of emergency.

nntlogo.jpg

-- NNT 2013-02-21 footer_n.gif

And only last year written was ...

Posted 2012-08-21 15:05:15

Bt20 fares on Bangkok electric mass transit within 2 years: MRTA Governor

BANGKOK,
Aug 21 - Mass Rapid Transit Authority of Thailand (MRTA) Governor
Yongsit Rojsrikul said the government's policy to collect a Bt20 fee for
travel all routes of the capital's underground and elevated electric
mass transit trains will be in effect within two years.

MRTA
has negotiated with its partners MRT underground operator Bangkok Metro
(BMCL), and the Sky Train Bangkok Mass Transit System (BTS).

The
timing is set within two years because the number of commuters will
quickly increase due to the lowered fare, and in that case the number of
trains should be sufficient to demand.

BMCL currently has 19
trains operating. It needs at least double that number to serve future
demand once the Bt20 fee is effected, Mr Yongsit said.

Wonder what the price increase will be though - if all fares are planned still in multiples of 5, it can only go up to 20 minimum - 45 maximum fare. If they will go up to something like 18 Baht minimum, all ticket machines will have to be modified to accept 1 (and maybe 2) Baht coins, and give change in these denominations. This will come at a sizeable extra cost I expect. Wonder if this has been factored into this plan? I'm guessing not...

Also I wonder if there will be any effect on the multi-trip passes or the 15 Baht surcharge for travelling to the Bang Chak - Bearing stations...

My family and I use the BTS if we are going to Silom or Sukhumvit because it's quicker than a taxi, and more pleasant. And much safer.

It will still be more expensive than a taxi with an extra 20 baht each way on the cost, and I don't think that will be enough to discourage us from using it.

It's good to see that the systems are doing well, and clearly they contribute to the prosperity of the areas that they serve

SC

It should be "fares", not "fare". The BTS is not a flat fare system, where "fare" would be appropriate, but a system with a multiple-fare structure, where "fares" is appropriate.

NNT should know that, but -- of course -- TIT.

It should be "fares", not "fare". The BTS is not a flat fare system, where "fare" would be appropriate, but a system with a multiple-fare structure, where "fares" is appropriate.

NNT should know that, but -- of course -- TIT.

Oh should it ? Aren't you a grammar nazzi.

In fact.. the TIT part seems to be just a manifestation of a deeper psychological problem.

But this is TVF hey.

• Like 1

The most expensive mass transport system in all of Asia.the BTS and MRT of Bangkok.Just for the middle classes and falang tourists.

Price ranges reflect shortest to longest

rides in most cities.

Kuala Lumpur,

Malaysia (light rail, bus) $0.22 –

$0.76

Hong Kong, China

(tram, ferry) $0.26 – $0.39

Beijing, China

(subway) $0.30

Auckland, New

Zealand (bus, train) $0.38 – $1.38

Macau, China

(bus) $0.41 – $0.83

Shanghai, China

(metro) $0.45 – $1.35

Taipei, Taiwan

(metro, bus) $0.49 – $2.14

Bangkok,

Thailand (skytrain, subway) $0.50 – $1.34

Singapore,

Singapore (subway, light rail) $0.61 – $1.53

Seoul, South

Korea (subway, bus) $0.89 – $1.77

Tokyo, Japan

(metro) $1.93 – $2.29

Sydney,

Australia (metro, bus) $1.96 – $3.24

Melbourne,

Australia (tram, bus) $3.63

http://www.priceoftravel.com/595/public-transportation-prices-in-80-worldwide-cities/

• Like 1

Perhaps the purpose of the BTS and BMCL is to provide mobility for those that are willing to pay for it, rather than to alleviate traffic. If people want to, they are free to sit in traffic, while those that are unhappy to do so can put thier hands in their pockets and take the train. There seems to be plenty of people willing to do so, and there seems to be plenty of people willing to invest in property on the back of the BTS

SC

Wonder what the price increase will be though - if all fares are planned still in multiples of 5, it can only go up to 20 minimum - 45 maximum fare. If they will go up to something like 18 Baht minimum, all ticket machines will have to be modified to accept 1 (and maybe 2) Baht coins, and give change in these denominations. This will come at a sizeable extra cost I expect. Wonder if this has been factored into this plan? I'm guessing not...

Just guessing, but I bet the ticket machine prices will still be in 5 baht increments, but the refillable cards you can buy will use the "odd" prices.

Pretty sure I remember using one baht coins in the machines when the BTS first opened.

The MRT underground ticket machines take 1 baht coins, and they have a fare structure that uses odd numbers, but I believe that the original BTS ticket machines have always been 5s & 10s only.

With any fare revision, I hope they increase the discount for stored-value cards, to reduce the queues at the ticket machines, and also to improve the reliability of the fare gates.

SC

• Like 1

The BTS machines may have charged in increments of 5 and 10, but they accepted one baht coins also. I have a strong memory of using my one baht coins regularly for BTS fare as a way to get rid of them. I remember that sometimes the machine would reject one of the one baht coins and it would be annoying. Then one day I went to use the one baht coins and the machines no longer accepted them. I hope my memory is not going..........

Edited by ricklev

The most expensive mass transport system in all of Asia.the BTS and MRT of Bangkok.Just for the middle classes and falang tourists.

Have you ridden BTS lately? I mean, I hear that the middle class in Thailand is on the rise but BTS ride from Siam to anywhere on Sukhumvit is crazy crowded most of the day.

Have you ridden BTS lately? I mean, I hear that the middle class in Thailand is on the rise but BTS ride from Siam to anywhere on Sukhumvit is crazy crowded most of the day.

Being the only junction doesn't help.
  • Like 1

I personally think they should charge the hell out of tourists (who have no problem paying 300 baht for a martini; they are on vacation), and charge a minimal amount to locals. the way to do this would just be to encourage the use of the 30 day passes and discount them deeply, relatively speaking. of course that would screw occasional users, but i think that is fair.... buy in bulk and get large discounts. they pretty much already do this, but i think this increase should lie only with the "tourist" (=single trip) prices. why not?

Edited by utalkin2me

I personally think they should charge the hell out of tourists (who have no problem paying 300 baht for a martini; they are on vacation), and charge a minimal amount to locals. the way to do this would just be to encourage the use of the 30 day passes and discount them deeply, relatively speaking. of course that would screw occasional users, but i think that is fair.... buy in bulk and get large discounts. they pretty much already do this, but i think this increase should lie only with the "tourist" (=single trip) prices. why not?

There's a great one-day tourist pass - unlimited travel for 100 baht, as I recall. Anyway, with the skytrain as busy as it is, why would they reduce fares for anyone? It's already crowded enough. The more they charge, the sooner they can buy new vehicles...

SC

I personally think they should charge the hell out of tourists (who have no problem paying 300 baht for a martini; they are on vacation), and charge a minimal amount to locals.

How would they determine who a tourist is? Are you saying there would be an immigration booth at every BTS station and every single person would have to go through an immigration check? If somebody forgot their ID card or passport at home, then they could not ride the BTS?

I personally think that the "perception" of being a tourist, and the never-ending scams and rip-offs, along with the "charge the hell out of the tourist, or anyone white" attitude, by many of the scum who live here, make it difficult for the decent hard working people who populate this country. The mindset, in general, of Thai people makes it very difficult to want to help them. Are you Thai?

• Like 1

It's true that there is enough overcharging of tourists already.

The normal way to keep things fair for the benefit of people who use the system regularly is a pass system, or in this case the stored value card with the cheap trips. And a system where ticket prices vary to discourage casual travel during peak times.

• Like 1

I personally think they should charge the hell out of tourists (who have no problem paying 300 baht for a martini; they are on vacation), and charge a minimal amount to locals.

How would they determine who a tourist is? Are you saying there would be an immigration booth at every BTS station and every single person would have to go through an immigration check? If somebody forgot their ID card or passport at home, then they could not ride the BTS?

I actually gave this some more thought. Basically set the price high, and give a discount to people that show a Thai ID card or passport.

Still sounds like a horrible idea.