Google Nexus 4 17,900 Baht?

britgent

If you're really planning to use this as your day to day phone, the wireless charger is recommended. I am going to use this as a second phone so a bit on the fence on that for now.

Also read about a rumored Nexus 5 to be introduced in 1 or 2 months. But it's supposed to have a 5" screen which I find too big anyway.

Mine has not shipped yet, I guess the 8GB is in short supply.

[PS: Another advantage of Shipito - the Oregon mailing address; no sales tax! :) ]

Are you divorceing I-phone?

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're really planning to use this as your day to day phone, the wireless charger is recommended. I am going to use this as a second phone so a bit on the fence on that for now.

Also read about a rumored Nexus 5 to be introduced in 1 or 2 months. But it's supposed to have a 5" screen which I find too big anyway.

[PS: Another advantage of Shipito - the Oregon mailing address; no sales tax! smile.png ]

Just remember that the Oregon mailing address for shipito incurs and additional 10% in fees:

Oregon doesn’t have sales tax!

Any purchase shipped to Oregon is not charged sales tax. This is the main advantage and reason why we opened this location. Make your U.S.A. purchases and don’t pay any sales tax. After we get the package we can ship to you anywhere in the world.

Services offered:

• Full service location. All services offered as in Torrance, California locations.
  • Consolidation is offered. USPS shipping is offered. See Shipping calculator for all available shipping services.
  • Shipping is 10% more expensive compared to Torrance locations. Our cost to serve Oregon location is higher. You save on sales tax, but you pay little bit more on shipping. Make your choice.
  • This is our biggest warehouse. Big packages or pallets are OK.
  • Assisted purchase available.

FYi, I struggled with enabling USB Debugging Mode on Android 4.2.x until I found this:

It's fairly easy to enable DEVELOPER OPTIONS under JB 4.2:
1. As usual, goto Settings -> About Phone.
2. Goto “Build Number” at the end of the Scroll list.
3. Tap on “Build Number” for 7 times. While typing at the third times, you should see prompt message to indicate you that 4 more taps to go to developer options.
4. Continue 4 more taps.
5. You are now done and go back to the Setting page.
6. You should see Developer Option appear on your setting list now.
With Developer Option appeared, you can enable the USB debugging mode for future flashing and development work.

[PS: Another advantage of Shipito - the Oregon mailing address; no sales tax! smile.png ]

Are you divorceing I-phone?

Divorcing? Nope. I guess I am a polygamous tongue.png I don't expect the N4 to be actually better than the iP5 but who knows, certainly going to use it.

Didn't know that shipito rates are more expensive from Oregon; However I think I can live with 10% higher shipping costs; shipping was $16 for the Nexus 4 so I paid $1.60 more than normal?!

Sales tax, on the other hand, would have been an extra $25 or so. Why pay it when you can choose not to. It's not going to last long anyway, US Congress is hell bent on introducing an internet sales tax...

Final price N4 8GB shipped to Thailand: BHT 9,800 Baht. Well unless I get hit by customs, knock on wood. I don't *think* there's duty on mobile phones but def. VAT.

Edited by nikster

Divorcing? Nope. I guess I am a polygamous tongue.png I don't expect the N4 to be actually better than the iP5 but who knows, certainly going to use it.

Didn't know that shipito rates are more expensive from Oregon; However I think I can live with 10% higher shipping costs; shipping was $16 for the Nexus 4 so I paid $1.60 more than normal?!

Sales tax, on the other hand, would have been an extra $25 or so. Why pay it when you can choose not to. It's not going to last long anyway, US Congress is hell bent on introducing an internet sales tax...

Final price N4 8GB shipped to Thailand: BHT 9,800 Baht. Well unless I get hit by customs, knock on wood. I don't *think* there's duty on mobile phones but def. VAT.

Now that you have a N4, it's will be your official ticket in Android bashing... Oh wait, you've done it before the N4... LOL

Now that you have a N4, it's will be your official ticket in Android bashing... Oh wait, you've done it before the N4... LOL

Yep, I am spending nearly 10k baht to buy a phone so I can bash Android. Makes sense, doesn't it?

As for bashing Android - I judge things by merit, not by a badge.

This generation, specifically Jelly Bean, is the first good version of Android. Prior to that even the home screen would stutter and while many people that are just used to the lag don't even see it, coming from an iPhone it was as obvious as it was painful. Oh yeah also the home screen of almost all Androids before JB had this incredibly ugly large "retro style" clock on it...

JB is the first release that

- Doesn't stutter

- Has a decent design (if I recall correctly they hired a designer for a complete do-over)

PS: I guess you missed those posts where I am bashing the iPhone 5 / iOS 6 battery life?

I have been running Android 4.2.2 (Stock Nexus + GApps) on both my SGS1 and SGS2 for a while now. Neither of these platforms are the newest or fastest, but both scream with 4.2.2., almost too fast. Much quicker than the iPhone 4S I have used a bit. Still looking forward to getting my first "new" phone, the N4.

post-9615-0-72776400-1364266716_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-52502500-1364266726_thumb.jp

This generation, specifically Jelly Bean, is the first good version of Android. Prior to that even the home screen would stutter and while many people that are just used to the lag don't even see it, coming from an iPhone it was as obvious as it was painful. Oh yeah also the home screen of almost all Androids before JB had this incredibly ugly large "retro style" clock on it...

JB is the first release that

- Doesn't stutter

- Has a decent design (if I recall correctly they hired a designer for a complete do-over)

PS: I guess you missed those posts where I am bashing the iPhone 5 / iOS 6 battery life?

Actually the "retro clock" is part of "Sense" - HTC's implementation of Android. Nothing to do with how stock Android looks.

There is actually not much design difference between the Nexus versions.

The thing is with Android you can skin your phone to look almost any way you like, check out these Youtube videos:

I think the retro clock is part of stock Google (Nexus) 4.2.2, I just moved it to a different screen. It expands into a multi-function clock which I use a lot.

It's not at all like the clock the Apple skeuomorphs "purloined" from the Swiss Fedral Railways. ;)

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-paid-21-million-for-swiss-railways-clock-2012-11

post-9615-0-97383500-1364293390_thumb.jp

post-9615-0-13509200-1364293405_thumb.jp

FWIW, the N4 can be tweaked to support LTE band 4 (AWS: 2100/1700). T-Mo in the U.S. is about to launch LTE/4G on band 4 ~ 26 March in seven locations: Houston, TX, Las Vegas NV, Phoenix, AZ, Kansas City, MO, San Jose, CA, Baltimore, MD and Washington DC. Unfortunately not Boston sad.png , but I'll be in DC in July so will try it.

Off-topic: I saw this T-Mo LTE speed test.

post-9615-0-84858600-1364387316_thumb.jp

I thought the poster referred to this one as the retro clock.

The circle clock isn't retro in my, granted limited, fashion sense, but rather modern, and is still part of 4.2.2.

htc_sense_screenshot.jpg

Oh yeah, that's the offensive clock.... thanks for posting a giant picture of it tongue.png

And I was under the impression that Samsung had a similar one for the longest time? But maybe I'm wrong and it was only HTC. I seem to remember for a while every android phone in a catalogue and every faux display model had this clock on it.

And yeah I am aware that Android can be skinned out the wazoo, but I'd rather have somebody come up with a good looking design, or several. As they have done with JB.

Design is also one of the reasons I'll stick with stock Android.

Edited by nikster

And I was under the impression that Samsung had a similar one for the longest time? But maybe I'm wrong and it was only HTC. I seem to remember for a while every android phone in a catalogue and every faux display model had this clock on it.

Hm, no I don't think so. There are some similar knock-off widgets available in Google Play that looks very similar, but afaik it's a HTC Sense widget. At one point every Android phone in a catalogue and display case was a HTC, perhaps that was the reason. That's a long time ago though, they seem to be struggling against Samsung today.

And yeah I am aware that Android can be skinned out the wazoo, but I'd rather have somebody come up with a good looking design, or several. As they have done with JB.

Well I get inspired by what others do but in the end make what I like. This is my current home screen.

post-1539-13644115280361_thumb.jpg

Phil, as I mentioned earlier, I got one ordered already to my Canadian address and paid with Canadian credit card so it's not US only privilege. There was actually an option during check out to ship it to a different address and so I did ship it directly to my bro, different address but still in Canada. Wondering if I try to ship it to Thai instead, what will happen... worse case they say they can't do that.

He got it by the way about a week after the order was placed, it was shipped only days after the order so they aren't that short on stock.

I ordered mine through the UK site. As far as I can remember I paid trough my Google account which is funded from my UK credit card. I was going to get it sent out but I'm concerned about possible customs charges. Unless I can find some one coming out to bring it I'll have to wait until late July when I go back.

I thought the poster referred to this one as the retro clock.

The circle clock isn't retro in my, granted limited, fashion sense, but rather modern, and is still part of 4.2.2.

htc_sense_screenshot.jpg

Oh yeah, that's the offensive clock.... thanks for posting a giant picture of it tongue.png

Design is also one of the reasons I'll stick with stock Android.

HTC phones come with about 8 different clock styles pre-installed. Very happy with my HTC Desire HD. If it wasn't so expensive, I would buy the HTC One. A beautiful thing. Went ahead an ordered the 16gb Nexus 4. Shipped through Shipito.

I ordered mine through the UK site. As far as I can remember I paid trough my Google account which is funded from my UK credit card. I was going to get it sent out but I'm concerned about possible customs charges. Unless I can find some one coming out to bring it I'll have to wait until late July when I go back.

If you ship by airmail to Thailand, chances are slim you would have to pay any duty.

If you ship by airmail to Thailand, chances are slim you would have to pay any duty.

Slim but still exist. If I was going home in a few months, I would wait too if i was him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Anybody bought the Nexus 4 in Bangkok or Pattaya lately ?

For how much ?

And what is in your opinion the best cheapest alternative for Android phone if this one is not available ?

Thanks a lot.

Got my Nexus 4 a couple of weeks ago. Ordered through Ebay, sent direct to Thai address. Total cost just under 12,600 Baht. Phone was US$400. Postage was US$23.95 for USPS Priority Mail International Flat Rate Envelope . Took 12 days to get here from US. No customs duty or VAT to pay. :-)

Excellent phone.

Hello,

Can I know who is your ebay seller and if he has more Nexus 4 ?

Thanks.

• 4 weeks later...

The local MSRP was dropped a few weeks ago to 15,900. I did see some promotions today, possibly as a tie in to the Mobile Phone Expo, for 14,900.

I've had my GN4 for 6 weeks; it was easy to unlock the bootloader and root the phone - I am still on the stock ROM, but am considering some custom ROMs. It is a great phone, considering the price ($385 USD all in.) The screen is amazing.

Yes, no problem rooting it. I will likely try some custom ROMS at some point. The factory ROM is working so nice, I don't see any reason to dump it right away. Undoubtedly, eventually, my need to tinker will take over. :P

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• 3 months later...