Save Money And Live Better In Thailand.

klubex99

Some money saving tips for those on tight budgets due to the economy and bank rates:

Put your air conditioners in mothballs for the time being and use fans instead.

Put that electric kettle back in it`s box and boil water with a lightweight kettle on a gas stove.

Use gas or a microwave when ever possible to cook food, rather than those expensive to run electric cookers and appliances.

During the hot periods, use cold water for showering.

No need to frequently have the main lighting on in the house. Use table lamps with low wattage bulbs when possible.

Try and adapt your shopping habits. Shop around at the local Thai markets rather than use the big stores and supermarkets. You will be surprised how much money this saves, sometimes up to a third a month on general items and foodstuffs.

Use cheap washing up liquids to wash your clothes instead of washing powder. Cleans just as well and is safer on the skin.

Most clothes do not require ironing these days. Instead hang out your damp clothes equally balanced, so that they don`t stretch on an outdoor washing line. When dry just place them on a firm coat hanger in the wardrobe.

Use Skype and emails to communicate when possible rather than a cell phone.

Or, move to the beautiful countryside and cross most of this list off. Except the shop at Thai markets. Living in Thailand is meant to be cheap, its half the reason I like the place!

We just had a day out and spent about 300 baht...

Took the motorbike instead of the car (not easy to get a Thai girl to sacrifice the car)

Visited 2 local caves.. I know, not the most fun you can have but something different to do and only cost a small donation to 1 temple. 1 of the caves was pretty spectacular to be fair.

Ate at a small roadside place, just 100 baht for both of us.

Couple hours on an empty beach, followed by a walk with the bike back to the nearest village. (Puncture = free exercise)

Continued our discovery tour and found a fishing village with a kickin market, dinner was just 120 baht..

Back to the house and collected the duck eggs, breakfast sorted for tomorrow..

Simples :)

• Like 1

i save money by not flying business class no more ...

Sorry to hear that things are so tight for you.

My suggestion is stay away from the farang economy, stick to eating from and buying from Thai economy businesses, it's still unbelievably cheap, and as for the restaurants, the food can be quite superb. licklips.gif

My suggestion is stay away from the farang economy, stick to eating from and buying from Thai economy businesses, it's still unbelievably cheap, and as for the restaurants, the food can be quite superb. licklips.gif

Totally confused where the OP wants to go with this. unsure.png

Some money saving tips for those on tight budgets due to the economy and bank rates:

Put that electric kettle back in it`s box and boil water with a lightweight kettle on a gas stove.

Use gas or a microwave when ever possible to cook food, rather than those expensive to run electric cookers and appliances.

No need to frequently have the main lighting on in the house. Use table lamps with low wattage bulbs when possible.

Try and adapt your shopping habits. Shop around at the local Thai markets rather than use the big stores and supermarkets. You will be surprised how much money this saves, sometimes up to a third a month on general items and foodstuffs.

Use cheap washing up liquids to wash your clothes instead of washing powder. Cleans just as well and is safer on the skin.

Most clothes do not require ironing these days. Instead hang out your damp clothes equally balanced, so that they don`t stretch on an outdoor washing line. When dry just place them on a firm coat hanger in the wardrobe.

That is rather extreme. I'd maybe consider moving elsewhere if saving a few baht here and there was such an issue.

Edited by Colonel_Mustard

I have a suspicion that the OP is well intentioned. However we members like to go off on a tangent so it'll be the usual vendettas, arguments and off topic replies mixed with attempts to actually answer the OP.

See my previous reply as a prime example. biggrin.png

That is rather extreme. I'd maybe consider moving elsewhere if saving a few baht here and there was such an issue.

This is not extreme in the least bit, and I already follow a good number of these out of common sense. I do not have to cut corners because I have a comfortable savings and a soon-to-come huge retirement plan starting up in addition to my generous Thai salary. It just makes sense not to waste one's resources, if one doesn't have to. I enjoy taking the money I save from practices like this, and traveling internationally every chance I get for pleasure and self education.

Edited by Fookhaht

This is not extreme in the least bit, and I already follow a good number of these out of common sense. I do not have to cut corners because I have a comfortable savings and a soon-to-come huge retirement plan starting up in addition to my generous Thai salary. It just makes sense not to waste one's resources, if one doesn't have to. I enjoy taking the money I save from practices like this, and traveling internationally every chance I get for pleasure and self education.

Fine if that's your thing. Still think it's a bit extreme though and if I ever get to the stage where the few baht saved on this stuff would make a difference in my life, then I'd probably head for pastures new.

Fine if that's your thing. Still think it's a bit extreme though and if I ever get to the stage where the few baht saved on this stuff would make a difference in my life, then I'd probably head for pastures new.

It all just confirms the vastly-different lifestyle led by expats in Thailand and on this forum. Pits the Cheap-Charlies against the extravagant spenders. I predict this thread will go nowhere but down...

The prices at 7 and family are not realy cheap for a family, only on the first view , buying larger and bigger size would save money!

Here in the country side has only Tesco express but it's cheaper then 7

But usaly Kellogg cornflakes only 20 Grammy box for 10 bath no big size avalible I must buy 10 small!

A german school teacher told me one time , Thais think the save money when the buy little small boxes on 7 instead of bigger one!, but the don't do the teacher told me

I read a interesting reports about this, that company's in Indonesia can also when the money with 5 Gramm shampoo for 2 cent!

But even the smaler size products make company rich !

Some 7 products Are cheaper in the eu and on eBay then in Thailand!

For example all the chocolate !

BTW... It's not only for those who have limited incomes. There are many affluent folks who can save money. After all, even if you have a lot of money, there is no harm saving some if you can.

Back in the UK we have a saying, 'Look after the pennies and the pounds will look after themselves'. A lot of rich folk got rich because they were smart with money. Nobody likes to spend money they needn't spend.

I had a company that imported generators into the UK by the container load, and a company that imported musical instruments also in bulk. Everything was worked out with financial surgical precision, and that is how you have to do business, else you should not really be doing it.

My ex-business partner had a personal asset wealth of around £180 million GBP, it is probably more now. But I seen him in a country clothing shop try to haggle £1 off a £40 cap. Talk about embarrassing. He also flies economy most times, but if he wants to treat himself, he always upgrades on the plane, it works out half the price and can save himself £1000 depending on the flight, and there are usually spare seats in business/first class, so you can almost always do it cheaper than pre-booking, and £1000 is a good chunk of change, more champers in Marbella wink.png

Correct klubex99, I negotiate every single day in life on behalf of myself and my business, I enjoy it, I love a bargain and I love the sport of a good negotiation. It get's to the point it's nothing to do with money, it's the enjoyment of the deal.

As a case in point, I witnessed one of my pals fight tooth and nail last week over 1 pence a square metre ( we're in the flooring trade ). He reckoned he would do 200,000 metres2 per annum on this carpet so that 1 pence represented £2000.00 of a saving.

Of course he loved saving £2000.00, but the buzz of fighting ( and winning ) over a penny was what make's him tick. Me too.

It's not the money, it's the buzz. thumbsup.gif

Edited by theblether

I am confused that you are confused.

Does it really have to have a destination? It is what it says on the tin, and there is a full explanation as to why it was inspired.

Like the member who posted about his 300 baht day out at the caves etc.... Sounds like an interesting and fulfilling day. Maybe he will get a few PMs asking where those caves are. Maybe he won't.

We all know the thread will go off on tangents, but don't they all? That is nothing to do with the thread and more to do with a minority of ill educated.

This thread could provide a good and valuable resource for farangs that don't have the reddies to live the way they want to every day. There is a thread on here that shows that is the case and they are in the majority from what I read.

I know that a lot of people who want to show everyone that they can afford to live here lavishly here will chirp in with irrelevant and unhelpful comments about 'if you can't afford to live here carefree, then go home'. People are in Thailand because of Thailand, and many have Thai wives and girlfriends. You can't just tell them to go home... Who is anyone to be able to say that to others?

I won't argue with anyone because it does the thread absolutely no good, and lets be honest, how many times have YOU got very good and helpful info from this website? I think to start trashing the threads and people's posts just for a bit of sport fishing is basically pissing on your own doorstep and everyone elses.

That's why it needs such a large amount of moderators to control the braindead.

I think the OP started a good post. I certainly have to and am trying to figure out how to save money in Thailand. Going back to my country may not be the best option, because in general, it is so much more expensive there.

Regarding motor bikes instead of cars - I walk before doing either if I can, get some exercise, and every baht adds up.

Correct klubex99, I negotiate every single day in life on behalf of myself and my business, I enjoy it, I love a bargain and I love the sport of a good negotiation. It get's to the point it's nothing to do with money, it's the enjoyment of the deal.

As a case in point, I witnessed one of my pals fight tooth and nail last week over 1 pence a square metre ( we're in the flooring trade ). He reckoned he would do 200,000 metres2 per annum on this carpet so that 1 pence represented £2000.00 of a saving.

Of course he loved saving £2000.00, but the buzz of fighting ( and winning ) over a penny was what make's him tick. Me too.

It's not the money, it's the buzz. :thumbsup:

If its not the money, just the buzz, feel free to send me the money saved! :-)

The OP is right; a lot of expats are in Thailand because they love the country and/or they are married to a Thai. And many of them don't have an excess of money. When I move there in a few years with my (Thai) wife, I certainly won't be living the high life. I will have a very small pension and my wife will work as an accountant. What she can earn as an office manager is not bad, but it's by no means a princely salary. So we will be living comfortably but economically. And it's only a question of not being extravagant that will enable us to live comfortably. It's not a matter of having to buy crap to save fifty satang. And the more people say to us "Oh, you can get so-and-so much cheaper if you go to whoever", the more money we'll have for other things. Simples.

Many (most?) people who live in a place for some time learn about where savings can be made without compromising their lifestyle, and I think that's the main thrust of the OP's post. If most of the people reading this thread moved to Greece, they would find it much more expensive than I do, simply because I have ten years of experience here. But I can easily share that experience with them. And there will be other expats here who have discovered savings that I haven't, and that's where a forum like this comes into its own, when there is a pooling of experience which is to the benefit of all.

And then of course you'll get the clever-dicks who have loadsamoney and pour scorn on those who haven't. But we can ignore them.

A good thread, and should throw up some useful ideas.

I find lots of entertainment and drama riding the TEN BAHT buses of Pattaya!

JT ... if I remember right, there was some discussion about the cost.

Are they 10 or 20 baht and I support you 100% ... they are indeed 10 baht (a price which, when compared to other parts of Thailand is still expensive ... though I digress).

When you ride them, and I am presuming that you are a male.

Do you stand at the back on the step up extension?

mqdefault.jpg

I love doing that ...

Even if there is available seating ... I prefer to stand there.

My Thai wife is a great mine of information on living cheap, and I suspect everyone else's wives are too.

In the years before I came to Thailand, she lived on 100 baht a day. She was tighter than a gnat's chuff when I met her. She had a good job and good salary, but she didn't see the need to be a spend-thrift. She loved to save her money. She built up a small fortune over 5 years.

If she wanted a holiday down in Krabi or Phuket, it was always out of season so they could get a cheap hotel with private beach, and they never bought drinks in a bar, it was in the 7 and they would sit and drink them on the beach.

Only ever ate in the Thai places for 40 baht. I swear she would do Phuket for 5 days on less than 1500 baht.... That was a blowout for her.

Things are a lot different nowadays of course, I couldn't imagine doing half a day in Phuket for that. But I guess if she had her way, I doubt the experience would be any less for it.

She knows how to do it.

If I get a bit bored and want to go out for a drink with the boys, we all gather in the bar, and I can easily face a 1000 to 1500 baht bill. She gets her mates together and goes to a cheap restaurant in a nice place by some water, they buy the minimum food and ice and take a lot of their own food from the market, and a box of drinks.

They probably spend 500 baht between the four of them and have the same quality night as I do.

A suggestion, would be if you have a regular group of mates that you meet in the pub, why not meet somewhere else and each bring a bunch of drinks in cooler boxes and a bunch of snacks and whatever else. If you drink to be social, then what's the difference?

Some of the best times I have had is meeting up with the boys in the UK and go night fishing, we all bring the above party stuff, and get pizzled, we never caught anything, but we would have a great laugh and it would be so cheap, and much better than sitting in the pub.

Also, take turns to host barbies, everyone brings food and booze...... done. Also, whats the difference between sitting in a beer garden and your own garden?.... apart from the price. I have had some great summer nights in my garden with my mates, and vice versa.

It's all great fun, and saves a lot of cash.

• Like 2

It's not the money, it's the buzz. thumbsup.gif

If its not the money, just the buzz, feel free to send me the money saved! :-)

I'll put it towards teaching you how to use the new quote system. coffee1.gif