Pepsi Suddenly Scarce In Thailand After Bottler Breakup

webfact

Pepsi suddenly scarce in Thailand after bottler breakup
By Amy Sawitta Lefevre

BANGKOK Feb 22 (Reuters) - The day after PepsiCo Inc's bottling deal in Thailand expired, its partner of 59 years launched its own soft drink that has knocked Pepsi off store shelves.

Serm Suk Pcl, backed by the billionaire owner of Thai Beverage Pcl, Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, said its new soda called "est" garnered 19 percent of Thailand's $1.8 billion cola market in just two months following its Nov. 2 launch.

Pepsi's breakup with its bottler meant it also lost access to Serm Suk's vast distribution network, which delivers drinks to about 200,000 stores, restaurants and vending machines serving Thailand's market of 67 million people.

The two companies had a non-compete clause that expired when their contract ended on Nov. 1. Pepsi has similar non-compete clauses with bottlers in other markets such as China, but the decision backfired in Thailand.

Full story: http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/02/22/sodawars-thailand-idUSL4N0BE27K20130222

-- REUTERS 2013-02-22

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't this old news????

Maybe for some but was interesting because the other night I was watching a semi old movie (The Invention of Lying) with my wife and after a scene where there was an ad which said "Pepsi, for when they don't have Coke" and my wife made the comment that she never sees Pepsi anymore and although not being much of a soda drinker, it dawned on me too I couldn't remember the last time seeing a Pepsi.

Anyway, I guess this explains it.

I think the key to this article is that it is being published by Reuters. This is significant as they produce a lot of the world's business news. They are running with this then expect some of the other financial news agencies to consider having a look.

What is strange is that the Thai people don't mind, they drink it as it's been there forever.

I think that in a western country people would not except "fake" pepsi or coke.

Great marketing!

Westerners have been drinking MacDonald's 'cola' for years.

Yes, this EST stuff has started appearing everywhere.

Tastes like crap, costs the same as the established brands.

It would not surprise me if the company making the stuff has some very influential owners/shareholders.

no one of importance, just as OP clearly stated

Serm Suk Pcl, backed by the billionaire owner of Thai Beverage Pcl, Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi,

Serm Suk Pcl, backed by the billionaire owner of Thai Beverage Pcl, Charoen Sirivadhanabhakdi, said its new soda called "est" garnered 19 percent of Thailand's $1.8 billion cola market in just two months following its Nov. 2 launch

But I guess they have lost at least half of that market share already in the past month.

I am surprised that nobody has noticed yet how scarse E$T products have become in the past month.

Big C extra here in Pattaya has completely stopped selling EST products.A few weeks ago they sold their entire stock at 50% discount.Liter bottles cola and softdrink went for 10 Baht.

Since then there is not a single bottle or can of any EST flavor to be found in the shop.

I noticed Tesco has also reduced the space allocated to EST products with at least 70%.

Edited by jbrain
  • Like 1

I have been able to buy pepsi and pepsi max from most 7-11, friendship, tops and macro.

Perhaps things are not as bad as OP is making it out to be.

But I guess very good lesson to all foreign entity's here what to expect.

Really unsure how Thailand can promote itself as a hub and try to get big company's here and then at the same time run this fully legal scam

Pepsi disappeared about a moth ago. Chillers and trucks were quickly relabelled with the EST brand.

I agree that it's not a good cola. I've tried two bottles on different occasions and didn't finish either. The early success was probably due to wholesalers and retailers being taken by surprise. Coke is taking over where customers ask for it but I think the low price of EST is attracting some.

Now, EST is standing unsold in establishments where customers are willing to switch to Coke.

I have heard that Pepsi is slowing reappearing in larger bottles than previously.

• Like 1