E 20 Instead Of Benzin 91 With Old Car?

Sandman77

You for sure will use more E20 per the same distance comparing to benzine, but it will only be until the fuel lines written out due to the alcohol in the fuel and your car will just stop working...

I heard there are conversion kits that can make it possible to run gasohol on older engines but I do not know what's involved into installing one.

Maybe black smog come from E20?

Nope benzine wont give black smoke and ethiel alcohol won t to.

What will happen is the rubber hoses you use now for the fuel will slowly desolve.

Aswell as rubber gasketts to if there are any of these in your fuel system.

If you let these changed by alcohol resistant ones and have a carburator engine

I think you can drive on this.

If you have an injection system for the fuel I woudn t do it at all when this pump

no matter mechanical or electronic go down your facing a serious repair.

Then I didn t even talk about the injectors itself.

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know where you can get a conversion kit and how much it will cost. Can any garage fit the conversion kit for you? I have 20 year old Corona with LPG conversion, but it now costs about 48 Baht per litre . One more thing, is the green fuel in Thailand unleaded same as in the UK?

Does anyone know where you can get a conversion kit and how much it will cost. Can any garage fit the conversion kit for you? I have 20 year old Corona with LPG conversion, but it now costs about 48 Baht per litre . One more thing, is the green fuel in Thailand unleaded same as in the UK?

Isn't LPG about 12 baht a litre, not 48 (or do you mean benzene 95)? There's no way running on e20 will cost less than running on lpg. I've seen a few E20/E85 kits around, but I doubt they will replace all the pats that could possibly be affected by ethanol. Stick with running on a well tuned LPG kit.

Isn't LPG about 12 baht a litre, not 48 (or do you mean benzene 95)? There's no way running on e20 will cost less than running on lpg. I've seen a few E20/E85 kits around, but I doubt they will replace all the pats that could possibly be affected by ethanol. Stick with running on a well tuned LPG kit.

Thanks, yes, it's 48 for 95 benzine, the LPG is fine, but you still have to run on petrol sometimes to keep the engine lubricated, and I'm trying to find cheaper petrol to replace the 91 red, without damage to the engine, I know you can get 91 but the pumps have green handles and I'm not sure about those.

but you still have to run on petrol sometimes to keep the engine lubricated, and I'm trying to find cheaper petrol to replace the 91 red, without damage to the engine, I know you can get 91 but the pumps have green handles and I'm not sure about those.

I don't think so. You simply buy a small drip feed tank (Flashlube) for about 1200-1500 baht and when the special liquid that comes with it runs out you keep it full of a mixture of diesel and two stroke oil. It uses one bottle full for 8-10kms depending on adjustment.

My truck has 125,000 kms on it and the only time it runs on petrol is if the staff are unlucky enough to run out of LPG. Yes we keep the tank about 1/4 full of benzine to keep the fuel pump cool.

62.jpg

but you still have to run on petrol sometimes to keep the engine lubricated, and I'm trying to find cheaper petrol to replace the 91 red, without damage to the engine, I know you can get 91 but the pumps have green handles and I'm not sure about those.

I don't think so. You simply buy a small drip feed tank (Flashlube) for about 1200-1500 baht and when the special liquid that comes with it runs out you keep it full of a mixture of diesel and two stroke oil. It uses one bottle full for 8-10kms depending on adjustment.

My truck has 125,000 kms on it and the only time it runs on petrol is if the staff are unlucky enough to run out of LPG. Yes we keep the tank about 1/4 full of benzine to keep the fuel pump cool.

62.jpg

Thanks, that's a great help, I will look into getting one of those lubrication systems.

62.jpg

Thanks, that's a great help, I will look into getting one of those lubrication systems.
Yes that kit should work fine. A good LPG garage should have that or something similar. Is that corona an 8 valve? I heard that the older style engines cope better with LPG than the modern 16V engines, but not too sure. maybe someone else knows.

62.jpg

Yes that kit should work fine. A good LPG garage should have that or something similar. Is that corona an 8 valve? I heard that the older style engines cope better with LPG than the modern 16V engines, but not too sure. maybe someone else knows.

My car has a 1600 engine fuel injection. I will take it to an LPG garage in Nakhon Sawan it's about 60 k from where I live up in the sticks.

Just wondering, green 91 is 10% alcohol while e20 is 20% why would you consider e20 if you think green 91 is going to harm your engine ? The more % of alcohol in your fuel the lower your mileage due to alcohol having lfewer btu's per unit used. There is a reason e85 is so much cheaper. I have a 97 fuel injected car I have put over 40k (total miles120k) on using only green 91 not one problem. Too much misinformation out there on gasohol.Also you wont be happy with lpg when the subsidies end soon except for cooking gas.

Since around one month our local oil station has e20 around 34,5 bath liter! And the good thing the real bad smell of 91 benzin is over! For 1200 bath can fill up the tank!

Sandman, have you actually read any of the posts in this thread? In particular the ones that state that E20 will quite possibly wreck your engine?

Since around one month our local oil station has e20 around 34,5 bath liter! And the good thing the real bad smell of 91 benzin is over! For 1200 bath can fill up the tank!

Sandman, have you actually read any of the posts in this thread? In particular the ones that state that E20 will quite possibly wreck your engine?

It's fairly easy to check out whether or which model car can handle certain fuels but we still do not know how old the car is or what. rolleyes.gif

A best thing a driver could do is read the owners manual! It clearly states what fuel can any particular car take. You'd be surprised... I've read manuals for pre-2000 carburated engines when it clearly says then can take up to 10% ethanol in fuel. That saying if the car is carb or pre 2000 it won't run on gasohol - is just a guideline, not necessarily true for every vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...

Exactly...but most cars, even older ones, are fine with gasohol 91 (10% ethenol). When the time comes, just have the fuel lines replaced with flex-fuel compatible ones during routine maintenance.

Exactly...but most cars, even older ones, are fine with gasohol 91 (10% ethenol). When the time comes, just have the fuel lines replaced with flex-fuel compatible ones during routine maintenance.

Don't forget the fuel pump and injectors (or carb seals).