What Travel Phone Would You Recommend?

Frankie26

Possibly the most vague question to date on ThaiVisa.com along with What job can I get in Thailand !!!

You need to be much more specific with your question.. Provide your requirements..

i.e. smart phone or simple phone ?

Do you need Maps, internet, e-mail, music, camera, Video, Games ? (iPhone / Samsung Galaxy III)

OR is it solely for emergency contact: i.e. long battery life - can make and receive calls and SMS only but no fancy stuff ? (Basic Nokia)

unlocked iphone, stick a sim in it and enjoy google maps and internet access, both are really very helpful when traveling to unknown places.

for relatives in an emergency, yes, get a 1000 baht nokia phone with a local sim card.

or get the 500 Baht Samsung rip-off of said Nokia phone, it's just as good. And works the same way too. Got one for my mom when she was visiting, 450 baht on special at Tesco Lotus, worked perfectly.

It even has a feature that the iPhone doesn't have: You can fake an incoming call, in case you want to get out of a meeting or something.

Edited by nikster
  • Like 1

WTK has got the right idea and if you want the other end of the spectrum I am going to suggest the Google Nexus 4.

A flagship unlocked phone at a reasonable price (when it comes to flagship unlocked phones)

Prices start at $299 US (while an unlocked iPhone 5 starts at $649 US - yikes!)

Edited by Celcius

I brought my HTC Evo 4g from the states, only to find out it doesn't have a sim card!! (bummer)

Cheap i-mobile and local sim has done me right so far. Found out today that the maps on my Evo work off the cell towers even though I don't have service.. Score!

Possibly the most vague question to date on ThaiVisa.com along with What job can I get in Thailand !!!

You need to be much more specific with your question.. Provide your requirements..

Do you need Maps, internet, e-mail, music, camera, Video, Games ? (iPhone / Samsung Galaxy III)

OR is it solely for emergency contact: i.e. long battery life - can make and receive calls and SMS only but no fancy stuff ? (Basic Nokia)

According to OP: "especially one that relatives could reach you on in case of an emergency" whistling.gif

I bought a Nokia 1200 in Tuk Com quite a few years ago - about 700 thb i think it was . No useless crap on it so it has long battery life. It is designed for villagers in "third world " situations and it just phones and messages. No camera. no inaccurate maps to assist in getting you lost, no fancy ring tones or other crap that 13 year old girls and boys want. Makes the choice of colour easy too so you don't need to stand in the stall debating with yourself what colour you should get. Comes in black with silver trim. What it does, it does well unlike many "smart phones" that do a lot of things but nothing quite as well as a dedicated item.

WinnieTK is spot on . Buy a tablet or net book for for yr e-mails and browsing and your phone for phone calls.

Edited by xen

• 2 weeks later...

According to OP: "especially one that relatives could reach you on in case of an emergency" whistling.gif

Did the bold and highlighted font improve your reading skills Semper ?

my nokia has gpsa and this does maps and voice direction without connecting to the internet via wi fi

it is symbian os and so on its last leg

what else is there on the market that does the same ie android?

Out of the box: Current Nokia Windows 8 Phones. These are worth looking at, the latest Windows Phone is really (REALLY) well desgined. And Nokia versions come with the excellent Nokia Maps. Higher end models also have a very good camera.

But also for Android (and iOS) devices you can download apps that have off-line maps. And of course Android and iOS have loads more general apps available compared to Windows Phone, which is relatively new in this incarnation.

my nokia has gpsa and this does maps and voice direction without connecting to the internet via wi fi

it is symbian os and so on its last leg

what else is there on the market that does the same ie android?

Out of the box: Current Nokia Windows 8 Phones. These are worth looking at, the latest Windows Phone is really (REALLY) well desgined. And Nokia versions come with the excellent Nokia Maps. Higher end models also have a very good camera.

But also for Android (and iOS) devices you can download apps that have off-line maps. And of course Android and iOS have loads more general apps available compared to Windows Phone, which is relatively new in this incarnation.

Google Maps on Android has offline maps built in, but for some reason, it doesn't work in Thailand. Must have something to do with some laws or regulations.

Google Maps on Android has offline maps built in, but for some reason, it doesn't work in Thailand. Must have something to do with some laws or regulations.

A LOT of things don't work in Thailand. I guess reputable companies don't like countries that copy their products and sell them on the black market.

If you send a lot of text its nice to have an internet capable phone. Using the app 'whatsapp' will save a ton of money in place of normal sms charges. You can also use a smartphone to make internet phone calls abroad to save more money.

A phone with wi-fi will also allow you to get on the internet if you are not subscribed to an internet service... if the area you are in has wi-fi.

Id consider a travel phone one that can do many things to lighten carrying weight, it can take both still pictures and videos and can be used as an mp3 player also (both music and video), and as mentioned the Nokia comes with Nokia maps, it also has a radio, and i can check emails with it. Cell Phone cameras are actually pretty good, some also have built in flashes now. All i use is my phone to take pictures now.Just cant take them in total darkness-no flash.

You can also download apps like currency convertors, star maps and a bunch of other stuff, and play games when youre bored.

I tried to stay with my dumbphone for the longest time, but smartphones really are useful and a great convenience. The major set back is battery life, youd need two if you cannot get to a plug every other day, or you can turn off mobile data(internet) and the battery will last longer.

I use a Nokia 311 that cost 3700 baht, and it is compact enough not to be a nuissance, its about as big as a pack of cigarettes but half as thick, and i no longer need to take my laptop with me to check emails when i travel. Its also a quadband and can be used with various SIM cards from many carriers.

Edited by KRS1