Why Farangs Cannot Buy Land In Thailand?

Sandman77

Look no further than the name of the country: Thai-land (The land is for Thais.)

Besides, if foreigners could buy land legally, with the influx of buyers and speculators alike, it wouldn't be near as cheap as it is. So I just tell myself, if I COULD buy it, I probably wouldn't be able to afford it anymore. I like it better like this, if I have to choose between the two. Keeping land in Thai hands keeps the rent low.

Edited by aTomsLife

My gf told me today , in thailand it's also possible to rent the land from another person! A very good idea!

yes it is possible, you develop it and they kick you out
I've lost count of the number of times I have seen that happen. I remember one fella who who got a 30 year contract on around 1/3 rai of land and used lawyers all the way. Builder in the UK and semi retired... spent over 3 years pretty much building a wonderful house on it himself with Thai labour doing the donkey work. Was still doing 6 months work in the UK per year so nothing was done while he was away. When it was almost complete the land owners demanded the land back even though he had a solid contract but he lost anyway. Poor bugger didn't even get the remaining 27 years back on the contract which he had paid in full to get a lower price.

look what is happening to Australia Chinese are buying so much land there and all the farms and sending food back to china .. the government here want their land for their people

how dare they replace the English and Americans as the largest holders of farming land. Quite indeed.

• Like 1

look what is happening to Australia Chinese are buying so much land there and all the farms and sending food back to china .. the government here want their land for their people

how dare they replace the English and Americans as the largest holders of farming land. Quite indeed.

Do not think Americans ever had much of stake in land in Oz, Japanese on the other hand still have quite a bit

W e own lots of land ,its in my wifes name ,no problem when you have a good marriage ,anyway it will all go to our son when we die anyway.

Or put it in your childs name and use a userfruct agreement. Totally legal and problem solved.

aTomslife pretty much said what I believe. I just compare it to Canada which allowed foreigners to buy up vast areas of what was formerly public land. Now the foreigners are keeping third generation Canadians off what was formerly theirs to use. Not only that, but the foreign companies are given tax incentives to rape and pillage the Canadian resources. In the future, Canadians will have to buy back their own land at much inflated prices. Thailand has prevented that from happening by not allowing foreigners to to own the land. They can own the buildings built ON the land, but not the land itself. Consider the number of super wealthy people in this world who could easily purchase half of Thailand if it was allowed. Most of us only look no further than our own personal interests, but in the broader picture it jusr shows that Thailand is smarter.

I really like how u put on perspective so true about Canada I have seen it over 30 years being canadian. It is a good thing to protect there land for there people. Some day it will change

• Like 1

W e own lots of land ,its in my wifes name ,no problem when you have a good marriage ,anyway it will all go to our son when we die anyway.

Or put it in your childs name and use a userfruct agreement. Totally legal and problem solved.

Can u give more detail on what a user fruit agreement is the pros and cons if u can thanks?

Can u give more detail on what a user fruit agreement is the pros and cons if u can thanks?
Proxy

I believe the sky would not fall if a falang were allowed to legally own one rai on which to build one residential home. There could be simple qualifications ie. living full time in Thailand for a minimum of 5 years, contributing to the Thai economy a minimum of say 1 million baht yearly, etc. you get the point. Any counterpoints to that plan??

None, now you just need to sell it to the officials
  • Like 2