Affirmation Of Freedom To Marry Income Question

kimamey

I'm about to apply for my affirmation and there's one part that's causing me a problem. It's the bit about occupation and income. I've seen it mentioned elsewhere but it was not quite the same as my position.

I'm 58 and here on a Non Imm 'O' visa based on retirement. I don't have any pension and I live on savings and money from the partial sale of my house. When go back to the UK I usually help out where I used to work which adds a bit to my savings. I may eventually work here but at the moment I'm just abiding by the terms of my visa.

I wonder why they ask this as it's about my freedom to marry not my ability to provide for my wife. That's already been covered by my visa application. For some reason I will need less money when I'm married although I'll believe it when I see it.

I don't suppose anyone else is in the same situation but any thoughts would be appreciated.

just write Retired or took early retirement.

For a retirement extension to your visa you would need 800,000baht to extend, for a marriage extension it is only 400,000baht.

That's what I was thinking. It's just that most people have a pension or maybe income from investments. I thought it might look a bit odd if I show no income. I have earned some money this financial year. Firstly a bit before I retired and some that I mentioned in my post. I suppose I could put that as it is income and it's combined with my savings to enable me to live here.

The questions are all BS and the answers are never checked.

Write down whatever you like ........ it gets filed with all the other BS papers the Thais like so much.

I think you're probably right. I was reading that some people have been asked for copies of the affirmation when they renew their visa. Even though they're married and have the certificate which they couldn't get without the affirmation.

Keep it sensible, kimamey, but, really, it's a load of bilge. Make sure your name's spelt correctly. wink.png

Affirmation when renewing a visa? There's no such thing.

People have been asked to show the Affirmation to Marry, also the KR2 and KR3, I was one of them and posted it here.

Keep it sensible, kimamey, but, really, it's a load of bilge. Make sure your name's spelt correctly. wink.png

Affirmation when renewing a visa? There's no such thing.

People have been asked to show the Affirmation to Marry, also the KR2 and KR3, I was one of them and posted it here.

I think yours may have been one of the posts I saw. It seems as if it may be for those who've recently married but who knows? It's worth pointing out as it's not something that you'd work out through logic.

Living in Thailand means never having to say 'That makes sense'.

I don't disbelieve you, beano. But what document did you produce to prove affirmation of freedom to marry?

A copy of the original document will do. Best is to scan the original document before you go to the amphur and give it to them. Otherwise most people try to get a copy from the amphur where they were married.

• 2 weeks later...

Going back to the OP, I am in the exact same situation, ie, 55 years old, here on a multiple entry non immigrant visa.

My partner and I have been together for 9 years and are thinking of getting married. However, like the OP I am unofficialy retired and living on my savings so I have no job ( don't need one ) or proof of income although I do make a little from work on the internet.

So,back to the question about income. I was just going to put retired down. Has anybody actually done this or is it all just paperwork that the British Embassy are'nt too fussy about ? I have read the other answers and from what people are saying it shouldn't be a problem.

Nobody is fussy about it, it is asked and you must answer the question but there is no minimum income requirement to get married.

O.K....thanks for that. Wasn't too sure if it was going to be an issue or not. Feeling reassured now.smile.png