Advise Wanted

black fox

hi im looking for some advise, i have an older trek 2100 and do 500 klms per week and want to upgrade to a faster more comfortable bike, ive been offered a trek madone 5.9 its a 2004 bike but the owner assures me its only done 50 klms, it looks like a new bike and rides really well th few klms ive test ridden it, the owner wants a fair few baht for it but id like to be sure about so decided to seek some advise first. thanks in advance.

Obviously, the questions are, what components does it have and how much is he asking? I've seen bikes like this go for 45000 baht in the US on eBay, etc.it has ultrega brakes and gears and he says his bottom price 65000 baht which is more than i want or can afford to pay although im very tempted to go overboard for it.

If you want it and can afford it, and it fits you, buy it. That's my advice.

That last 5% of speed, smoothness and reliability costs a lot of money. That's true on cars, golf clubs, fishing rods, watches, smartphones, and bicycles. Probably true on a lot of other items, but I don't know about them.

For myself, if that's the bike listed on the TV classifieds, I live with the satisfaction that my bike is 95+% as fast, and probably just as comfortable (to me) and I paid less than 1/8 the price listed. In fact, all my bicycles are faster than I am, so any additional money would have been better spent on training and not equipment.

Only you can decide whether it's worth it to you. But once you've made the purchase, just enjoy it and don't look back.

That last 5% of speed, smoothness and reliability costs a lot of money. That's true on cars, golf clubs, fishing rods, watches, smartphones, and bicycles. Probably true on a lot of other items, but I don't know about them.

For myself, if that's the bike listed on the TV classifieds, I live with the satisfaction that my bike is 95+% as fast, and probably just as comfortable (to me) and I paid less than 1/8 the price listed. In fact, all my bicycles are faster than I am, so any additional money would have been better spent on training and not equipment.

Only you can decide whether it's worth it to you. But once you've made the purchase, just enjoy it and don't look back.

I believe you need some advice. 500km seems a high weekly mileage for a person who is pretty basic about bikes! Well done!

The most important thing about a bike is how it fits the rider, is this bike the right size for you?

Once you have answered that question then you can decide whether to buy or not.

I believe you need some advice. 500km seems a high weekly mileage for a person who is pretty basic about bikes! Well done!

The most important thing about a bike is how it fits the rider, is this bike the right size for you?

Once you have answered that question then you can decide whether to buy or not.

tes i agree its pretty high mileage, i started off wanting to lose weight and get my blood pressure down now its an obsession and i love it, getting back to the bike today i called into the bike shop in sri rasha and got a good price quoted for a new giant tcr 1 so im still weighing my options up, anyway thanks for your imput ill probably make my mind up in the next few days.

I'd suggest going with a steel road bike, possibly faster but definitely more comfortable, than a 9 year old carbon bike that is way out of its warranty period and old enough to worry about delaminating issues.

But that's just me!

Check out a Surly Pacer or a Soma Smoothie. They'll let you run slightly fatter tires (28 - 32 mm) than the Madone too, which is always useful if you're not racing.