Get Serious About Cycling, Bangkok Candidates Told

webfact

Get serious about cycling, candidates told
Budsarakham Sinlapalavan
The Nation

30200684-01_big.jpg

BANGKOK: -- Although key Bangkok governor candidates have announced what appear to be good policies for city cyclists, the chairman of the Thai Cycling for Health Association is not impressed.

Thongchai Panswad feels all candidates are simply trying to woo votes and have failed to present a well-integrated solution.

MR Sukhumbhand Paribatra from the Democrat Party, Pol General Pongsapat Pongcharoen, and independent candidates like Suharit Siamwalla and Sereepisuth Temeeyaves have all vowed to provide better bicycle lanes for Bangkok residents.

"If they are serious about making a better environment for cyclists, they need to have a holistic approach," Thongchai said.

He believes the new governor should integrate policies and improve the city's infrastructure. For example, if footpaths are improved, people - with disabilities or not - would be able to travel safely and conveniently and leave space on footpaths to accommodate cyclists as well.

Thongchai also recommended the creation of convenient and safe bicycle parking areas.

According to the Traffic and Transportation Department, Bangkok has 33 bicycle paths. Ten of them are on tourism routes. The total length of bicycle paths is 200 kilometres. But that is only 2.5 per cent of the 8,000 km of roads in Bangkok.

Thongchai hoped the new city governor would take into account that Bangkok has vast areas and only some, like Bang Khunthien, are well developed for cyclists.

Nonlany Unwiwatkul, co-founder of the 'Bicycle Campaign' Facebook page, said she would gather information on candidates' pledges about cycling and present them to whoever wins next Sunday.

"The new Bangkok governor should combine all the good polices about cycling and implement them," she said.

Nonlany said she would like railings - or lines of plants - along bicycle lanes to provide greater safety for cyclists. She said such features would shield cyclists from large vehicles to an extent. "Plants would provide shade too."

She also called for more public parks. Some people were riding bikes on roads these days, but for were doing it for exercise, she said, not daily transport. These cyclists turned to the roads because they found it inconvenient to ride their bikes in public parks.

Lumpini Park, for example, allows cycling only between 10am and 3.30pm. During this period, the sun is usually too glaring and most people work at that time.

"I think eventually Bangkokians will need more areas or more public parks to work out," she said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-25

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dangerois, polluted, screaming hot, tropical storms.

Any other reason not to cycle to work in bangkok?

.......one might look silly in the outfit

especially if you are overwieght and squeeze into tight fitting lycra gear just to look the part.

Cycling for exercise should be encouraged but definitely not at the expense of pedestrians, Bangkok pavements are already poorly maintained and clogged with vendors etc and having to dodge cyclists would be a very dangerous prospect.

The majority should not be inconvenienced - much less put at risk - merely to indulge the hobby of a few.

Anyone who cycles in Bangkok as their main form of transport however is, frankly, fairly idiotic.

A few months ago I hired a private Math teacher (a Farang) for my daughter - the fool arrived at my door having cycled from Ladprao to Soi Asoke covered in sweat and stinking of traffic fumes; he was puzzled and quite offended when I refused him entry and cancelled the lessons.

Patrick

55555.. you don't own a shower? or have an extra T shirt to offer?

With the problems that Bangkok has in regard to pollition, traffic, flooding, public transport, building codes/zoning, moral preception by other countries, safety for the general population, police activity/inactivity and the fact that the majority of politicans reside there, I would think cycling may be somewhere down the piority list.

Marketing ploy. Or a way to gain temporary votes. It so dangerous to ride bicycles in Thailand, let alone in Bangkok.

I do wish it is safe to ride bicycles, I really miss it.

If they can do it Jakarta, I wonder why it can't work here:

(http://m.thejakartapost.com/news/2012/05/11/city-intensifies-car-free-policy-more-streets.html)

• Like 1

Cycling for exercise should be encouraged but definitely not at the expense of pedestrians, Bangkok pavements are already poorly maintained and clogged with vendors etc and having to dodge cyclists would be a very dangerous prospect.

The majority should not be inconvenienced - much less put at risk - merely to indulge the hobby of a few.

Anyone who cycles in Bangkok as their main form of transport however is, frankly, fairly idiotic.

A few months ago I hired a private Math teacher (a Farang) for my daughter - the fool arrived at my door having cycled from Ladprao to Soi Asoke covered in sweat and stinking of traffic fumes; he was puzzled and quite offended when I refused him entry and cancelled the lessons.

Patrick

Prejudice personified

• Like 1

Dangerois, polluted, screaming hot, tropical storms.

Any other reason not to cycle to work in bangkok?

.......one might look silly in the outfit

especially if you are overwieght and squeeze into tight fitting lycra gear just to look the part.

Well, unless they come up with a lycra jacket and tie, and some kind of super dooper lycra laptop bag, i am a bit screwed. Or the office lets me pitch in a t shirt and shorts and provides a shower area.

I have needed a shower just from walking to the BTS, standing in the sun for 10 minutes waiting for a train and walking into the office, so cycling, gulping in extra fumes really doesn't appeal.

Edited by Thai at Heart

Patrick

Prejudice personified
He is probably an SUV driver

I'm sure the bike lanes would be made safe, accessible, & convenient; just as Thai sidewalks are made safe, accessible, & convenient for the handicapped (or anyone). Want a minute...Thai sidewalks are many times used for motorcycle traffic also...just re-designate sidewalks as bicycle paths also to minimize new infrastructure costs and getting the bike path plan implemented ASAP. Genius I am!

P.S: Whatever new bicycle paths are made, I'm sure motorcycles will make good utilization of them....motorcycle taxis can get their customers to their destinations faster...and village kids with no helmets nor licenses, and riding 3-deep on dad's motorcycle will have a safer ride in the bicycle path.

• Like 2

Now, during the cold season, it is doable to cycle in Lumpinee park, even around noon.

I try to go there every now and then for a 40-50km ride, but I do not take the roads to get there anymore (way too dangerous).

Luckily they allow a bike on the skytrain so thats how I get to the park.

And I cannot imagine people actually biking to work here in Bangkok; even with good biking lanes and strict police supervision of no motorbikes there. It is just too hot to bike to work since you cannot spend the first hour at work cooling down and showering.

Patrick

Prejudice personified

...and, apart from cancelling the lesson ( unless he paid the teacher), 100% justified. Absolutely agree with the sentiments. there are enough problems for pedestrians as it is without adding cycling on the pavement.

• Like 1

Patrick

I hope you paid him. I would be pissed off too if I went to all that trouble to make an appointment and was turned away, and referred to as a fool.

You sound rather closed minded, dare i say a snob, when it comes to cyclists.

I don't think it is anything to do with being snobbish. I have travelled to peoples houses to teach English, I have a cycle, a motor cycle and a car. There is no way I would travel on my cycle, this is Thailand and the weather is not suited to long journeys on a cycle, especially if you are going to sit with someone for one or two hours disheveled and sweaty. If anyone was coming to my house to teach me anything, I would expect them to be clean and tidy, and I certainly am not snobbish.

Patrick

Prejudice personified
He is probably an SUV driver

If he is, at least he'd be on the road and not taking pedestrian-designated space from them.

Now, during the cold season, it is doable to cycle in Lumpinee park, even around noon.

I try to go there every now and then for a 40-50km ride, but I do not take the roads to get there anymore (way too dangerous).

And I cannot imagine people actually biking to work here in Bangkok; even with good biking lanes and strict police supervision of no motorbikes there. It is just too hot to bike to work since you cannot spend the first hour at work cooling down and showering.

Luckily bikes on the skytrain don't cause any inconvenience either for the foot-traffic it was designed for. Don't you just love it when a group of walking cyclists get on.

Luckily bikes on the skytrain don't cause any inconvenience either for the foot-traffic it was designed for. Don't you just love it when a group of walking cyclists get on.

Have you actually seen a group of walking cyclists on BTS? I avoid BTS during most hours with my bike for that very reason.

A major problem with the bus system is that the buses do not have bike racks.

Although bicycling in Bangkok is risky business, it's less so than riding a motorbike, as either an operator or a passenger, if the bicycle is ridden defensively and intelligently, IMHO.

Edited by MaxYakov

Well, I cycle daily down past Morchit Mai and quite honestly, it's not too bad, in some ways no worse than when I cycled in the UK. Positioning is important,maybe it's because I also ride a motorbike, but if you just read the road and expect the unexpected blink.png you'll be no more likely to get into trouble than if you ride a motorbike, IMHO...