Legal Question Over Yingluck's Remarks: Bangkok Governor Election

webfact

Legal question over PM's remarks
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra's election campaign statement in support of Pheu Thai candidate Pongsapat Pongcharoen could constitute a violation of the Constitution, Green Politics coordinator Suriyasai Katasila said yesterday.

Suriyasai said his group had asked its legal team to check and file a complaint with the Election Commission within a few days if they believe the PM committed a constitutional offence.

He said Yingluck made a campaign statement that if residents voted for Pongsapat, the government and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration would work together without conflict. Bangkok voters would gain benefits if they voted for number 9 because the government had funds to support mega projects, such as more Skytrain routes. But if people voted for other candidates, they would not receive support from the government.

"The PM's public address was deemed misleading. As the PM, she has the responsibility to provide mass transit systems and other services to the public in accordance with the Constitution," Suriyasai said.

Suriyasai said that according to the anti-corruption law, the PM spoke at the election rally as a state official because she was introduced to the stage to speak as the PM, so her statement could constitute abuse of authority.

"Her statement (in support of Pongsapat) aims to mislead the public into voting for number 9 and not other candidates, which is not right," Suriyasai said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-02-25

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

"Her statement (in support of Pongsapat) aims to mislead the public into voting for number 9 and not other candidates, which is not right," Suriyasai said.

I don't think it's misleading. It's a threat and promise of what happens if you don't do things the PT way.

• Like 2

I recall that square headed lad in Dubai saying in 2004 that those provinces that didn't support Thai Rak Thai should not expect any help from the government. What the hell is the matter with these people? It is clear they have no understanding of representative democracy. Why am I not surprised...

He said it to a meeting of teachers in Khon Kaen, there was a reaction in the media and he made the usual politicians crap excuses of " misquoted "and " taken out of context " but it was quite clear what he meant.

His sister is a political novice but there again she's a Thai politician and they live in that world of saying and doing what they like with impunity

• Like 1

I recall that square headed lad in Dubai saying in 2004 that those provinces that didn't support Thai Rak Thai should not expect any help from the government. What the hell is the matter with these people? It is clear they have no understanding of representative democracy. Why am I not surprised...

He said it to a meeting of teachers in Khon Kaen, there was a reaction in the media and he made the usual politicians crap excuses of " misquoted "and " taken out of context " but it was quite clear what he meant.

His sister is a political novice but there again she's a Thai politician and they live in that world of saying and doing what they like with impunity

I forgot to say he also wanted to zone the south into graded areas and the most troublesome would not get any government aid. As usual he had opened his mouth without engaging his brain but it was glossed over without explanation

• Like 1

But if people voted for other candidates, they would not receive support from the government.

the PM spoke at the election rally as a state official because she was introduced to the stage to speak as the PM, so her statement could constitute abuse of authority.

It would be good to nail at least one of the Shinawatras for these not-so-veiled threats that they've been issuing to voters for a decade.

Got any evidence for Yingluck actually making the statement below? Got a link?

"But if people voted for other candidates, they would not receive support from the government."

Thaksin's foolish statement is well attested but so far nothing I am aware of to support the accusation against Yingluck.

If she did make the statement above she is obviously wrong but there's nothing preventing her from offering strong support to Pondapat.

He said Yingluck made a campaign statement that if residents voted for Pongsapat, the government and the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration would work together without conflict. Bangkok voters would gain benefits if they voted for number 9 because the government had funds to support mega projects, such as more Skytrain routes. But if people voted for other candidates, they would not receive support from the government.

Did she really say that? Well I'm not surprised that this is PT policy but I am that she is dumb enough to put it that bluntly.

Why not tell it bluntly? If she really get removed from office because of this, than the reds can cry democracy and that the evil elites did not let her govern.

That would divert the attention from the corruption real nice.

• Like 1

My only problem is that when these remarks/ veiled threats are made, respectable governments should call in the Thai Ambassador and give them a grilling on Democracy, they all know the game being played here in Thai , applying pressure would let them know others are watching, they don't like that.coffee1.gif

• Like 2

I don't think even the BKK voters are so naive that they don't realise that PT election promises are all about support Thaksin and we will shower you with money or support the Dems and buy your own water pump.

So thats what it's all about, so simple now you've pointed it out whistling.gif

Did she really say that? Well I'm not surprised that this is PT policy but I am that she is dumb enough to put it that bluntly.

Maybe she has had tutoring in public speaking from Chalerm. Her red face is blusher from Nina Ricci his red face from Lau Kau

• Like 1

PTP flouting electoral law yet again - SOP. The only reason PTP wasn't disbanded for flagrant breeches during the national election was the fear of more violence from their supporters.

One has to wonder, when electoral law is breached so regularly, if it is not an intentional effort to incite conflict.

"He said"... is not proof but then against you facist supporters dont need much to get you squealing

PTP flouting electoral law yet again - SOP. The only reason PTP wasn't disbanded for flagrant breeches during the national election was the fear of more violence from their supporters.

One has to wonder, when electoral law is breached so regularly, if it is not an intentional effort to incite conflict.

"He said"... is not proof but then against you facist supporters dont need much to get you squealing

Rather robustly expressed but you are exactly correct on the substance.There is no proof whatsoever or to be precise there has been no proof presented yet.As to the PM stating that a PTP mayor would be able to coordinate better with the national government, that is no more than the unadorned truth.

My only problem is that when these remarks/ veiled threats are made, respectable governments should call in the Thai Ambassador and give them a grilling on Democracy, they all know the game being played here in Thai , applying pressure would let them know others are watching, they don't like that.coffee1.gif

Are there any respectable governments or democracies in the world. Many governments are tainted by blind obeisance to USA war adventurism and criminal participation in disappearances of their citizens and of other innocent people by the USA rendering process.

Edited by Denizen

Facist supporters. Whooaw, tough guy!

Yeeaah, there is no reason to assume that Thaksin's clan would break electoral law. They have never broken the law so why would they do it this time...

But if people voted for other candidates, they would not receive support from the government. Business as usual. coffee1.gif

Edited by Nickymaster
  • Like 1

Rather robustly expressed but you are exactly correct on the substance.There is no proof whatsoever or to be precise there has been no proof presented yet.As to the PM stating that a PTP mayor would be able to coordinate better with the national government, that is no more than the unadorned truth.

Take a look beind the smokescreen, what is really means is that it will be very simple for the pt national government to dictate (order) whatever it wants to / from the Bkk governor and will have a guarantee of immediate and voiceless compliance.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1

chainarong, on 25 Feb 2013 - 10:13, said:

Which governments would that be?

USA 2 party system?

French majority system where you don't come into parliament even if you get many votes and you can't be voted for as president without a give amount of governors sign for you?

Germany with their NDP disaster?

Yes the Swiss government could have called the Ambassador...

Other countries aren't far ahead in democracy. Just the problems are less visible....

• Like 1

USA 2 party system?

French majority system where you don't come into parliament even if you get many votes and you can't be voted for as president without a give amount of governors sign for you?

Other countries aren't far ahead in democracy. Just the problems are less visible....

Yup, just look at all the pesky problems of democracy - a messy inefficient process which is much too over valued.What we need is a strong man at the helm who can make the trains run on time and keep the underclass in line.And if we absolutely must have a franchise let's restrict it to those who pay taxes,have a university degree and don't burden the state with welfare demands.Above all let's keep the current elite social order and never stint on channelling money to the army, our virtuous protector (except of course against China to whom we must kowtow, we sons of China).Sound familiar? It ought to:it was the constant dream beat of the fascist PAD movement of which you were so fervent a champion at one time.

USA 2 party system?

Yup, just look at all the pesky problems of democracy - a messy inefficient process which is much too over valued.What we need is a strong man at the helm who can make the trains run on time and keep the underclass in line.And if we absolutely must have a franchise let's restrict it to those who pay taxes,have a university degree and don't burden the state with welfare demands.Above all let's keep the current elite social order and never stint on channelling money to the army, our virtuous protector (except of course against China to whom we must kowtow, we sons of China).Sound familiar? It ought to:it was the constant dream beat of the fascist PAD movement of which you were so fervent a champion at one time.

What a rant, most of which has nothing to do with the topic. This is about the election of the Bangkok governor (not the Mayor as another of the history rewriters put it).

It's also about a comment which Yingluck has allegedly made. I don't know if she made it but it certainly falls into line with her brother's idea of 'democracy' - reward the supporters & not the opponents.

By far the worst governor during my time here was Samak who Thaksin thought would make a good PM. If you want a close definition of a Fascist - Samak was your man.

USA 2 party system?

What a rant, most of which has nothing to do with the topic. This is about the election of the Bangkok governor (not the Mayor as another of the history rewriters put it).

It's also about a comment which Yingluck has allegedly made. I don't know if she made it but it certainly falls into line with her brother's idea of 'democracy' - reward the supporters & not the opponents.

By far the worst governor during my time here was Samak who Thaksin thought would make a good PM. If you want a close definition of a Fascist - Samak was your man.

It was perhaps over rhetorical in character but in direct response to h90 who was dismissive of democracy in a very familiar way that students of far right wing reaction will be familiar.It's relewvant to the thread because to some of these people the possible victory of Pongsapat in the Bangkok election is unbearable and it's interesting to see who they would blame, in this instance apparently democracy itself.As it happens, I suspect they have little to worry about not least because the victory of Pongsapat is very far from certain but also because whoever wins the significance nationally is much much less than many think.

It was perhaps over rhetorical in character but in direct response to h90 who was dismissive of democracy in a very familiar way that students of far right wing reaction will be familiar.It's relewvant to the thread because to some of these people the possible victory of Pongsapat in the Bangkok election is unbearable and it's interesting to see who they would blame, in this instance apparently democracy itself.As it happens, I suspect they have little to worry about not least because the victory of Pongsapat is very far from certain but also because whoever wins the significance nationally is much much less than many think.

my problem isn't so much who wins,but the gangster like approach to this election PT is taking. yinglucks statement, if she made it,is a threat to the voters. vote for us or you get nothing.

• Like 1