Thai Granny Gives Robber The Boot

george

Thai granny gives robber the boot

BANGKOK: A 73-year-old Thai grandmother dusted off her martial arts skills and floored a would-be robber with a few swift kicks to the groin, according to local media reports.

Prapai Sroysing surprised both herself and purse-snatcher Noi Namjumjung, 40, when she protected her bag filled with 7,000 baht by repeatedly kneeing the assailant at a market in Samut Prakan province outside Bangkok.

Noi, who is unemployed, told police that he targeted Prapai because he had not expected an old lady to fight back, the Nation newspaper reported.

"She shouted for help and at the same time kneed me in the groin sending me to the ground," the daily quoted him as saying. "I tried to struggle away, but somehow she was able to pull me toward her and gave me both fists and knees until passers-by caught me."

Prapai said she had learned martial arts moves from her brother, an army colonel, who had told her that below-the-belt tactics were above board when it came to self-defence.

"But I never imagined I would ever have a chance to use the technique," she said.

--AAP 2004-02-12 :o