Finnish Group Accuses Thai Tuna Canners Of Labor Rights Violations

webfact

Finnish Group Accuses Thai Tuna Canners Of Labor Rights Violations
BY SIPPACHAI KUNNUWONG

25560225-1435191.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A Finnish non-profit research group is accusing two Thai tuna canneries of “serious violations of basic human and labor rights.”

Finnwatch, a group that focuses on global corporate responsibility issues, released a study last month that examines the work conditions of two suppliers in Thailand who produce private label canned tuna for Finland’s biggest retail chains.

According to its website, “Finnwatch monitors Finnish companies in developing countries and economies in transition. We are interested in the consequences of Finnish companies’ operations on human and labour rights, in particular the environment and developmental and social consequences.”

Finnwatch says it spoke with tuna workers at both factories – though it did not indicate how many were interviewed – and found the majority did not receive health benefits or did not understand the meaning of health insurance despite paying for them (the costs were subtracted from their wages).

Many of the interviewees, at both companies, said the canners employed underage migrant workers. Foreign workers – largely from Myanmar and Cambodia – also experienced harassment and discrimination, according to the group.

Finnwatch approached both companies to respond to their findings. With regards to the underage children working in its factory, the group said one employer “finds it difficult to intervene as the child workers have official ID cards granted by Myanmar officials with false dates of birth” and that it “promises to look into possible improvements.”

In response to concerns raised about workers not receiving health insurance cards despite paying for them, the group said both canners blamed Thai officials for the delay.

Finnwatch found that all interviewees were paid the legal minimum wage (THB 300 per day), received overtime pay (THB 56 per hour) and compensation for night work (THB 30-40 per shift). Working overtime was voluntary at one factory, while staff at another plant said it was compulsory, according to the group. Workers also received bonuses, either annually or based on performance or both depending on the company, reports Finnwatch.

The group also said there are no unions for the workers in the investigated factories and almost none of the interviewees understood the concept. According to their research, one worker, who was aware of trade unions, said his employer did not allow them and anyone who organized one would be fired. In response, the company reportedly said no one had ever proposed the idea and it is not opposed to unions.

Source: http://scandasia.com/finnish-group-accuses-thai-tuna-canners-of-labor-rights-violations/

-- ScandAsia 2013-02-25

• Like 1

Another Thai company on the 'verge' of compliance. And the health cards? Of course they will blame Thai 'officials'. I bet within a month or two those underaged workers will not be there and the cards will still not materialise and no probe into why - of course.

These CSR issues in Thai exports are only going to get bigger and bigger. They have excluded foreign companies from entering the agro export industry, so, now, time to do it right.

I bet those companies have no problems recruiting staff. Good to see that the minimum wage is being paid as well as shift money and overtime.

better than i got as a kid in Canada working .. we got less than min wage, no overtime, horrible working conditions... but you know what ? we were happy to have a job, wasn't the same culture as there is today... now kids can't work and they wonder why they live at home until 27 years old ... try go telling a dirt poor kid in Cambodia he isn't allowed to work.. where the heck is he going to get some food with such a state... really not into sweat shops and child labor, of course but this article has one thing in Mind.. protecting the European standard of living, not improving that of the lives of some poor kids.. and by the way if these kids are getting $10 a day, they are doing pretty freaking good... might even be able to save up for some dental work, school and start a company one day.

What ? Do the Finns want to pay twice as much for the same product or what ?

What a stupid comment. Finnwatch critized child labour at the factories, harassment, discrimination, and that the employees are cheated out of their health insurance. To remedy all of it wouldn't change the price of a can of Tuna in Finnland by a cent, let alone double it. But thanks for asking, yes most people in Europe don't mind to pay a little more for a product if a worker on the other end of the world is treated fairly. We are proud not to be Americans, and not to have to use this sort of polemics.

Would you care to explain how it would not cost a cent more ? Do you think it will come out of the company's pocket ? No ! I understand that you are proud not to be an American. Well done. But I am mystified as to what Americans have to do with it. Did the US State department threaten sanctions agaist the company if they didn't hold back the employee's health benefits ? Or are you just venting some anger online after a late night drink ?

What a stupid comment. Finnwatch critized child labour at the factories, harassment, discrimination, and that the employees are cheated out of their health insurance. To remedy all of it wouldn't change the price of a can of Tuna in Finnland by a cent, let alone double it. But thanks for asking, yes most people in Europe don't mind to pay a little more for a product if a worker on the other end of the world is treated fairly. We are proud not to be Americans, and not to have to use this sort of polemics.

Just to give you a little moral support my friend I'm proud you are not American also.

I bet those companies have no problems recruiting staff. Good to see that the minimum wage is being paid as well as shift money and overtime.

better than i got as a kid in Canada working .. we got less than min wage, no overtime, horrible working conditions... but you know what ? we were happy to have a job, wasn't the same culture as there is today... now kids can't work and they wonder why they live at home until 27 years old ... try go telling a dirt poor kid in Cambodia he isn't allowed to work.. where the heck is he going to get some food with such a state... really not into sweat shops and child labor, of course but this article has one thing in Mind.. protecting the European standard of living, not improving that of the lives of some poor kids.. and by the way if these kids are getting $10 a day, they are doing pretty freaking good... might even be able to save up for some dental work, school and start a company one day.

Yes, they could even save up and buy a gun, a motorcycle and a disguise, and start to make some real money by kidnapping Tuna factory owners . Fantastic Idea!

Just to give you a little moral support my friend I'm proud you are not American also.

Pimay1 is proud to be an American, perhaps because he likes military helicopters named after the countless victims of genocide in his once great country?

• Like 1

Pimay1 is proud to be an American, perhaps because he likes military helicopters named after the countless victims of genocide in his once great country?

Now that is not a nice statement my friend. You do not know me, my beliefs, my expectations, my personal history or for that matter anything at all about me. I will look over your igornance. In my response to the previous post I was simply agreeing with the poster that he was proud not to be an American. But if you do not like America I have no issues with that. It is your right. I personally do not like Afghanistan.

Executive summary (English): http://www.finnwatch.org/images/cheap%20has%20a%20high%20price_exec%20summary_final.pdf

Full report (Finnish): http://www.finnwatch.org/images/finnwatch_private_label_web_2_rev.pdf

Working conditions in tuna canning factories have greatly improved over the past few years (remember the de-facto slave stories?), but unions are still unheard of, and that's where NGOs step in. Sure, there are places with bigger problems, harsher working conditions or enterprises causing great environmental damage. But this is not a report on gold/diamond mining in Latin America, palm oil production in Indonesia or adult entertainment in Nakhon Nowhere. Finnwatch picked the tuna canning industry in Samut Somewhere as one of their subjects of investigation, and without the power to carry out a full audit they had to rely on worker interviews.

The full report states they interviewed two Thai and ten migrant workers from one factory and ten migrant workers from the other factory. That's not a lot for in-depth analysis, but enough to pick up some mayor problems, especially ones that come up consistently. And while I'm sure that the report will affirm driedmango's opinion that this is just a lifestyle disease (sorry for implying), I smell a tuna in:

Problem indicated by workers:

Workers’ passports and work permits have been confiscated.

***'s response:

*** has a passport storage service where the workers can voluntarily leave their passports and sign a contract for storing the passport. *** does not force workers to hand in their passports. *** promises to give the original work permits to all migrant workers.

---

[snip]

What's the equivalent in Finland of 'Kansas' and 'Dorothy'?

Toto, I've the feeling we're not in 1900 anymore.

I am glad the Finnish never found out that in Canada in the summer all the kids, maybe 11 or 12 or 13 years old (or less) used to go pluck weeds out of the tomato farms or detasil corn in the hot sun for 11 hours a day for less the the min wage at the time.. we lined up like goats for this works and it were lucky to get on the crew... that is how we thought then, we wanted to work,

that is how I bought my own bike, snacks and all that stuff my parents could afford or didn't want to spoil me with.

that is how I learned the value of hard work but I guess that was few years ago and now there is labor shortage there and they have to import temp workers while the kids there now have to beg mommie for some money to go to the movies, or worst yet as the government to buy shoes...like in Finland

Well, Squire, now yer were lucky ter have weeds and corn ter pluck in the bloomin' summer, up Norff we were forced out of bed at 3am by us dear Dad (Gord rest 'is soul) in mid-Winter ter pluck crumbs of black puddin' out of the gravel pit. We 'ad ter work 17 'ours non-stop for tuppence and wiv nowt ter eat but the few crumbs of stale black puddin we found and some gravel, IF we were lucky... We luvd us Uncle Bobs and never fought of demandin' a decent wage or joinin' a union because we know that if we 'ad, right, we would 'ave been sent off ter Australia as convicts. In fact, that’s 'ow I got Rickets and rheumatoid arffritis along wiv all the chuffin' uvver kids, and learned ter be an obedient wee wage slave….

I do like this even though it is a mockery of my statement.. but to be honest, I loved working on the farm, we bought things like skateboards and took off on a bus trip at 13 without telling anyone to detroit to by skateboards, bought a bag of week and puffed up a storm all they way until the bug brought us back..

It's not about wage slavery, it was that it was cheaper to pay kids then to dump chemicals like they do now, sure it looks bad, but I guess I never saw the value of having nothing as a kid, or either having everything provided for me, the kids i knew who were spoiled never enjoyed a lit bit of money as a kid does.

And even though I am Canadian, we have similar issues with the natives, it wasn't a "genocide" though, it was lots of complex thing, but it isn't uncommon to name your war weapons after your dead enemies as a matter of much respect for them, so it isn't something to feel angry about, not the part when the strong things are named after strong people ...

And also the "once great America" .. well well, you one of those people that doesn't see the American Economy is the strongest in in the world right now ? Maybe China is catching up and maybe could overtake the USA some day, but does that make America not a "great" country ? How about their military... you agree with the Stupid Bush years or whatever, have you ever been to the rock bars and clubs in Seattle ?

Just saying, I find it interested that people think the Americans can't take a hit or lose all their money and just imagine a come back isn't possible, when they haven't even proven to be less than #1 in pretty much everything...

I think your just an Hater and would love to see nothing more than America flounder into the abiss and a country like China making the new rules for the world.

Europe on the other hand, what do you do with a place with such unemployment and subdued populations that can't even imagine in a million years what it would be like to have to pay their own way and struggle, invent and compete, and protect themselves and all that like Americans.. Just saying... lol

I am just saying, you will find many peace loving people from John Lennon, to Bob Dylan, to Jimi Hendrix having an American flag on their persona for a reason, it's not just the bull shit, it's the ability to rise and prosper in the bullshit.

Edited by driedmango

driedmango, on 27 Feb 2013 - 08:01, said:

And also the "once great America" .. well well, you one of those people that doesn't see the American Economy is the strongest in in the world right now ? Maybe China is catching up and maybe could overtake the USA some day, but does that make America not a "great" country ? How about their military... you agree with the Stupid Bush years or whatever, have you ever been to the rock bars and clubs in Seattle ?

Europe on the other hand, what do you do with a place with such unemployment and subdued populations that can't even imagine in a million years what it would be like to have to pay their own way and struggle, invent and compete, and protect themselves and all that like Americans.. Just saying... lol

Your delusions are breathtaking. America isn't the strongest economy by a long way, Europe is. Particularly where it matters, manufacturing. Europeans have problems to name products made in America, except movies. Yeah, and Facebook. They don't make much anymore that can be exported but weapons. They however have no choice but to buy from Europe if they want a good car, machines, consumer and luxery goods. Quality. Because Europeans continue to engineer, invent and compete. Their economy isn't sitting in front of a monitor studying numbers, and building a home, it's making and improving goods. The US military is formidable indeed, and it's utilization has been extensive. Earned them a reputation as the world's foremost robbers, and a $17 trillion deficit. About $56,000 for every American alive. Add to that the median private household debt of almost $80,000. The way America's looks clear cut: debt slavery. No more military interventions on a larger scale than Grenada. Welcome to the European century. We earn money before we spend it. Except the Greeks.

I jobbed as well as a teen. Single mother, two kids, money was scarce. Also bought a motorbike with self-earned money when I was 16. I wouldn't prescribe it for other kids, though. To profit from child labour, either as entrepreneur, or in a far away country as consumer of a cheap product is unethical. It's outlawed in the West, a fine achievement. That some start to propose to reintroduce it, is scary.

I'm all for hard work. For a good payment.

They aren't getting good payment, they are getting minimum wage, the minimum they can be paid by law. Minimum, the lowest you can legally be paid in the country.

The company also has been deducting health insurance premiums from their wages and the people interviewed knew nothing about health insurance. So it would go without saying that those that fell ill either just battled on through it or had lost pay because of it or just left the job when wan illness occurred.

I'd like to see the proof the insurance premiums where actually paid to health providers by the company and that all employees where advised of such coverage.

EDIT: As an aside, I was working for an engineering company near Melbourn in Oz in the early 90's and on nightshift one guys nearly cut his hand off with a grinder and was rushed to hospital. The next day the boss was furious because he thought the guy should have just gone home to deal with it instead of making a claim and that the company's premiums and would go up and their record would no longer be perfect. Too much pressure from the management. Not good.

Edited by FDog

Your delusions are breathtaking. America isn't the strongest economy by a long way, Europe is. Particularly where it matters, manufacturing. Europeans have problems to name products made in America, except movies. Yeah, and Facebook. They don't make much anymore that can be exported but weapons. They however have no choice but to buy from Europe if they want a good car, machines, consumer and luxery goods. Quality. Because Europeans continue to engineer, invent and compete. Their economy isn't sitting in front of a monitor studying numbers, and building a home, it's making and improving goods. The US military is formidable indeed, and it's utilization has been extensive. Earned them a reputation as the world's foremost robbers, and a $17 trillion deficit. About $56,000 for every American alive. Add to that the median private household debt of almost $80,000. The way America's looks clear cut: debt slavery. No more military interventions on a larger scale than Grenada. Welcome to the European century. We earn money before we spend it. Except the Greeks.

I jobbed as well as a teen. Single mother, two kids, money was scarce. Also bought a motorbike with self-earned money when I was 16. I wouldn't prescribe it for other kids, though. To profit from child labour, either as entrepreneur, or in a far away country as consumer of a cheap product is unethical. It's outlawed in the West, a fine achievement. That some start to propose to reintroduce it, is scary.

Europe is very diverse my friend, sure there is a few expensive cars from Germany, but they can't compete with a Toyota for long term costs.. trust me I am VW westfalia lover, they are the worlds least reliable motor every made in the 80s.... but yes.. your full of it .. you could name things that come from America into Europe for a month straight...

I am Canadian so I hope you don't think I am being a big patriotic American but the USA is still the biggest producer of goods on the planet, I am not talking every single thing...

Your bring up Facebook for instance... how about bringing up Twitter, Ebay, Paypal, youtube, google, Yahoo...

You are just brainwashed in Europe, yes the Asians are catching up to the west and someday a country like Thailand will invade and take over parts of Europe...

Europe is about to collapse like they have countless times before... I love Europe but how long ago was it that everyone was fighting over there as the Nazi's tried to take over the world.. and then how long before that was world war 1 with the Germans going Crazy again.. and how long until the Germans go crazy again and go looking for blood ? History repeats itself... it's said but Germany is at it again taking over its neighbours this time threw the Euro..

The USA has the advantage over Europe that is for sure, and I have a feeling they just can't keep Americans down, if you don't work in the USA, you starve, if you don't work you don't go to school... how many Art Degrees will it take to keep France going is the question ?

ps... Europe isn't a country... it's a lose affiliation for economic gain that is going down the shower drain, live on the NEws...

Greece ? Now way, Italians, France (like what are they going to do with the new "diverse" population ?, Spain aren't they in a little do do ? The Euro is a scam and will fall the minute a country like Greece pulls out of it, it was designed to make the Germans rich, and it worked...

Just saying, look up the US economy on Wikipedia (another American invention right lol).... good luck.