What Lies Behind Religious Homophobia?

isanbirder

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/feb/26/anti-gay-rhetoric-of-religious-leaders

An interesting article by a Catholic principally about Catholics. When I'm asked how I can be gay and Catholic, I can at least say that rather a lot of us are!

It's not only Catholics either. Leaders of many religious groups (not to mention politicians, who are hypocritical almost by definition) have been revealed to be gay despite violent anti-gay rhetoric. Mostly in the US, I think, but that's simply because Americans are perhaps less protective of other people's privacy. Ousting hypocrites? Maybe... or maybe just a bit of getting your own back.

So, if you meet a violently homophobic person, beware! or, as this is a Gay Forum, perhaps I should say, opportunity beckons!

Now, back to the topic: I am not really surprised that priesthood attract more gays than any other profession. ...

Really?

Even pantomime dames and hairdressers?

OK, I shouldn't have said "any other profession", but "many other professions". Anyway, you know what I mean.

These old major religions originated at a time before the rise of science, and before the the domination of the human species on earth to the point where we are strongly threatening the future existence of earth as a place our species can live. They were focused on fertility and the rise of the human species. We've risen beyond expectations. There might have been a rational basis for anti-gay taboos back then. Not now.

Also these ancient times were simple, peasant, agricultural based societies. Lots of children needed for basic survival.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

These old major religions originated at a time before the rise of science, and before the the domination of the human species on earth to the point where we are strongly threatening the future existence of earth as a place our species can live. They were focused on fertility and the rise of the human species. We've risen beyond expectations. There might have been a rational basis for anti-gay taboos back then. Not now.

Also these ancient times were simple, peasant, agricultural based societies. Lots of children needed for basic survival.

Yes, I agree. Remember also the need for more children because of high infant mortality, and the need for more male children in particular to fight wars.

Some civilisations,notably the ancient Greeks, managed to combine the two.... homosexual liaisons and marriage.

I always wondered how one could be a paedophile and a Catholic.

Doesn't seem to be a problem .......

in comparison I would expect gay + Catholic would be a doddle.

Thinking about it .....

if not able to have kids was the objection, that would put post-menopausal women off the menu too.

Edited by TommoPhysicist

I always wondered how one could be a paedophile and a Catholic.

Doesn't seem to be a problem .......

in comparison I would expect gay + Catholic would be a doddle.

Thinking about it .....

if not able to have kids was the objection, that would put post-menopausal women off the menu too.

You'll have to find a paedophile to answer that one!

Yes, gay Catholics don't find it too much of a problem.

I don't think it was so much not being able to have kids as not having the right kind of sex to produce kids. Post-menopausal women would be the right kind of sex with the wrong kind of woman (if, that is, these people really understood what the menopause was).

In what way did you feel you were insulted?

Silly of me I know. I suggested that if gays could drop the word 'marriage' and just go for equal rights, they might get along better. I was told to go away, this is the first time I've been back. Women had to fight for 'equal rights' for years even though they could get married. I was told that I should not forget on what forum I was writing, wasn't really insulted I suppose but felt shut out of the conversation.

It's ok, but I did feel a bit anti gay for a bit.

• Like 1

In what way did you feel you were insulted?

Silly of me I know. I suggested that if gays could drop the word 'marriage' and just go for equal rights, they might get along better. I was told to go away, this is the first time I've been back. Women had to fight for 'equal rights' for years even though they could get married. I was told that I should not forget on what forum I was writing, wasn't really insulted I suppose but felt shut out of the conversation.

It's ok, but I did feel a bit anti gay for a bit.

I don't remember that incident, and (apparently) neither does endure. You will have noticed that there has been a change of mods on this forum. We hope that this is for the better.

But of course, this is the gay forum, for gay people. Straight people are welcome to participate, as long as they understand that this is the gay forum.

• Like 1

If God can arrange the miracle of a female virgin having a baby.

Presumably God could also arrange the miracle of a man giving birth.

Therefore ............

My boyfy and I have been trying for years... no luck yet. wink.png

You just need to have faith!

Noooooooo, a miracle. Still, it is written in one of those books that was written by a bloke, that the waters opened up for folk to cross a river, so anything possible. coffee1.gif

But of course, this is the gay forum, for gay people. Straight people are welcome to participate, as long as they understand that this is the gay forum.

What about those of us still firmly in the closet?

Too late for you I reckon.

post-37101-0-40498500-1362127087_thumb.g

Welcome to the club. The free toaster offer is history so don't be expecting a free toaster. Just saying.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I'm afraid that you're not very convincing...

jul460.jpg

biggrin.png

• Like 1

jul460.jpg

biggrin.png

Tommo, is it really you . giggle.gif ....................blink.png

jul460.jpg

biggrin.png

Tommo, is it really you . giggle.gif ....................blink.png

Nah, its Vic Bekham in Dragw00t.gif

This to be documentary is concerned with this issue, the religious basis of intolerance of gay people:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/openeyepictures/alfredos-fire

I feel sorry for the guy who burned himself several decades ago. I understand at the time, the Catholic Church still had a lot of influence in Italy, but still, he should have campaigned for people to leave that institution.

For the reason I mentioned earlier, a church that preaches that their god, who makes you gay, throws you before the wolves is not worth being a member of.

Isanbirder, I admire you for staying Catholic while being gay. I know you have thought about it, and that's your decision which I respect. No offence meant.

If God can arrange the miracle of a female virgin having a baby.

Presumably God could also arrange the miracle of a man giving birth.

Therefore ............

My boyfy and I have been trying for years... no luck yet. wink.png

You just need to have faith!

We do! We have been to Lourdes - or was it the Louvre?

I first thought this was a trick question, but I see it has been answered already. :)

jul460.jpg

biggrin.png

Julian Clary I presume?

jul460.jpg

biggrin.png

Julian Clary I presume?

Thanks for the tip, I think you are right. I found this rather good video/song:

• Like 2