What Lies Behind Religious Homophobia?

isanbirder

In what way did you feel you were insulted?

Silly of me I know. I suggested that if gays could drop the word 'marriage' and just go for equal rights, they might get along better. I was told to go away, this is the first time I've been back. Women had to fight for 'equal rights' for years even though they could get married. I was told that I should not forget on what forum I was writing, wasn't really insulted I suppose but felt shut out of the conversation.

It's ok, but I did feel a bit anti gay for a bit.

Can't say that I can remember your post, but I'm afraid there are some really fanatical "pro-marraige" people on here. For what it's worth, I agree with your view entirely and I'm sad that you were told to "go away". Glad to see you back.

Silly of me I know. I suggested that if gays could drop the word 'marriage' and just go for equal rights, they might get along better. I was told to go away, this is the first time I've been back. Women had to fight for 'equal rights' for years even though they could get married. I was told that I should not forget on what forum I was writing, wasn't really insulted I suppose but felt shut out of the conversation.

Can't say that I can remember your post, but I'm afraid there are some really fanatical "pro-marraige" people on here. For what it's worth, I agree with your view entirely and I'm sad that you were told to "go away". Glad to see you back.

I am also very 'pro-marriage' for gay people.

I just ask that the government keep the existing forms, so that one of the gay couple can be chosen as the prospective 'wife'.

This is just in order for the judge to know which person gets awarded the house and children when the divorce goes through.

Let's keep everything fair and equal!

The thing is you took his word literally about what his problem was here. I am more skeptical.

1. Sad to see someone quoting Laura Schlesinger for the Nth time! The quote comes from 'uselessjunk.com" which is exactly what it is.

2. Happy to see somebody (tommophysicist) worrying about our divorces! We don't need the husband/wife distinction. It's the same way it always is in Thailand.... the Thai partner gets the house (no, I'm not anti-Thai, but that's just what seems to happen).

1. Sad to see someone quoting Laura Schlesinger for the Nth time! The quote comes from 'uselessjunk.com" which is exactly what it is.

2. Happy to see somebody (tommophysicist) worrying about our divorces! We don't need the husband/wife distinction. It's the same way it always is in Thailand.... the Thai partner gets the house (no, I'm not anti-Thai, but that's just what seems to happen).

Slightly of topic

Friend (American) of mine died of cancer last year, his partner was a Thai ladyboy with their house in her name. She sold the house and sent all the money to his elderly mother in America. So in this case the Thai partner was more than honest. I was surprised too.

• Like 2

You can only laugh,

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/cardinal-keith-obrien-says-sorry-1741151

Only the other week denying any misconduct.

Isnt this the same Cardinal who earned himself the title of "Bigot Of The year"?

Watched an interview this morning with Cormac Murphy-O'Connor who stated, the good cardinal only stated the churchs position, not his own personal view.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/faith/time-to-start-believing-archbishop-to-open-formal-dialogue-with-gay-catholics-8518526.html

I am not gay, why dont you guys set up your own church just to piss off the establishment.

BTW as an atheist I have no time for a debate on theology, but I will ask, what did Jesus say about homosexuality?

Edited by rgs2001uk

You can only laugh,

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/cardinal-keith-obrien-says-sorry-1741151

Only the other week denying any misconduct.

Isnt this the same Cardinal who earned himself the title of "Bigot Of The year"?

Watched an interview this morning with Cormac Murphy-O'Connor who stated, the good cardinal only stated the churchs position, not his own personal view.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/faith/time-to-start-believing-archbishop-to-open-formal-dialogue-with-gay-catholics-8518526.html

I am not gay, why dont you guys set up your own church just to piss off the establishment.

BTW as an atheist I have no time for a debate on theology, but I will ask, what did Jesus say about homosexuality?

There already are churches that treat us like human beings. The Metropolitan Community Church, The Unitarians, The Society of Friends (Quakers) and the Reform Jews. The Buddhists have nothing to say about it at all.

Jesus said:

"“Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother’s eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye. ”

Matthew 7:1-5"

endure^^^^

sorry if i come across as a bit thick, but do these chuches mentioned above perform gay marriages?

And if so, are they recognised legally?

If not why not?

Yes, and they are recognised legally in those countries that recognise both gay marriage and marriages conducted in a church or by some other approved celebrant (not "state" marriages, which are required in some countries).

endure^^^^

sorry if i come across as a bit thick, but do these chuches mentioned above perform gay marriages?

And if so, are they recognised legally?

If not why not?

The Metropolitan Community Church has long been gay friendly but its origin is in the USA. As far as the others are concerned when the Civil Partnership Act became law in the UK it specifically forbade civil partnership ceremonies being held in religious places so as not to upset some of the religious. The Quakers, Unitarians and Reform Jews weren't very happy about this as they all wanted to celebrate civil partnerships in their churches for their gay members so they lobbied the UK government for the right to do so. The Equality Act 2010 allowed this. They can't perform "gay marriages" because we don't (yet) have them in the UK but they can perform civil partnership ceremonies.

Even if you don't want to watch the entire hour plus of the video above, the last twenty minutes or so are quite good and worth watching.

Another view point from Davey Wavey ... also after watching him, do click the link he provides for the service held at the Metropolitan Church of Toronto.

Even if you don't want to watch the entire hour plus of the video above, the last twenty minutes or so are quite good and worth watching.

Another view point from Davey Wavey ... also after watching him, do click the link he provides for the service held at the Metropolitan Church of Toronto.

Why hasn't the guy got a shirt on. ?

He records most of his hundreds of videos that way. It's an ongoing thing which he discusses in other videos. When he went to church he was fully dressed.

He records most of his hundreds of videos that way. It's an ongoing thing which he discusses in other videos. When he went to church he was fully dressed.

Hmmmmmm, glad to hear that, my late mum would have died twice. thumbsup.gif

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This thread reminds me of this:

3f7090_575080_444984332193666_1537860113

I think number 7 should be explored further. I have seen plenty of priests wearing spectacles serving bread and wine in church services. This seems to be against the bibles teachings.