Do Car Dealers Accept 2Nd Hand Vehicles And Pay Properly For Them?

WhiteCadillac

Considering buying a new car.

I have a japanese 2nd hand car that would give as an exchange in addition to cash.

Do the car dealers pay closely to the amounts that these car sell on the 2nd hand market?

Say the car sells on average for ~100k on the 2nd hand market, will the car dealers atleast give me 80-90k for it and give me all the options that I would get if buying with 100% cash?

Take it to a tent - they pay slightly better than the dealer (who will pass it on to a dealer and make a tidy profit anyway). Better still, take a bit of time to sell it privately, which will get you a better price. But then there is the wait for a customer that has the cash or can apply for financing. I sold my last car to a dealer at a tent. Just agreed on a price, returned 2 days later and he had the cash ready. Took the cash in a taxi to honda to make the new downpayment of the car. Drive new car home.

Edited by culicine

I am getting the feeling your not familiar with how used car dealers operate.

They have fixed costs and apportion a certain amount to each car they sell. And a certain figure as profit. You may get them to budge on the price one way or the other but not much. They live cars and know what they can get for yours when they re-sell.

Then they have opportunity profits that present themselves when desperate people or gullible people turn up. Buying your car for less than it's worth will have the same fixed costs added, but the profit will be bigger.

You lose, they win!

Don't you just love used car dealers.

Why don't you try sell it private? You can put an add in ThaiVisa for free as a starter.

If you check the site one2car you will know what your car sell for at the dealers and can set your price accordingly.

I agree selling your car just using the freewebsites there are many of them only the prices on one2car are

al 10 to 30 procent to high go check this out yourself and you ll see it to.

Put your askingprice a little lower then they do and you get calls on it.

Most new car dealers use brokers for trade-ins - they dont' actually buy your car themselves.

As BSJ points out, no-one buying cars for a business is going to do so for free - so no way will you ever get the same money as selling yourself - that's just business/commonsense. I don't work for free either ;)

However, if the car you're selling is in demand, you can sometimes get up to 90% (typical 80%) of market value with a broker, and skip all the hassles/risks of selling private - brokers can be especially useful if you live upcountry, or the highest-paying market for your car isn't nearby...

Tents generally offer lower prices than brokers as they are usually going to have to hold the car for weeks/months/years before they find a buyer - by contrast, brokers find (or already have) a buyer before they've even bought the car from you...

The best price will always be to sell privately, especially on English language websites where you can take advantage of the buyer's lack of knowledge / fear of dealing with people they can't understand ;)