Knife Sharpening

zippydedodah

I, too, would love to know where exactly this shop is. Anybody able to give more detailed directions?

I have wustof knives go to PIAK custom Knives off Cm sankaphaeng road. He will do a excellent job sharpening your knives

I tried contacting Piak with an email address I found on the net but got no answer. I know CM Sankamphaeng Road but where do I turn off to find him or do you have the address/phone number? Thanks for the help.

• Like 1

Don't mean to veer off topic but I was once given a ceramic knife. It remained sharp for 3 or 4 years without me ever sharpening it, then I broke it by dropping it on a tiled floor. Looking to get another one, because I was very happy with that one.

Ceramic knives are great if you treat them gently. (Dropping them isn't recommended, nor cutting into bone, as the edge can chip easily.) Edges last and last, and after a few years, you can touch up the edge using a fine diamond stone and a bit of time. They are slower to sharpen than D2 tool steel but with a guided sharpening system such as GATCO, Lansky, EdgePro, or DMT, and diamond stones, no more difficult to restore the working edge.

Im just wondering what your EDC is?

Ceramic knives are great if you treat them gently. (Dropping them isn't recommended, nor cutting into bone, as the edge can chip easily.) Edges last and last, and after a few years, you can touch up the edge using a fine diamond stone and a bit of time. They are slower to sharpen than D2 tool steel but with a guided sharpening system such as GATCO, Lansky, EdgePro, or DMT, and diamond stones, no more difficult to restore the working edge.

Im just wondering what your EDC is?

Most days it's a Benchmade 710 axis lock. If I need something that makes less of a pocket imprint but still larger size I choose a Spyderco Endura. For light-weight dress pants I take along a Moki. I have all three both with and without clips. When used without clips I have them in this pocket sheath.

post-38451-0-91404100-1362724488_thumb.j

Most days it's a Benchmade 710 axis lock. If I need something that makes less of a pocket imprint but still larger size I choose a Spyderco Endura. For light-weight dress pants I take along a Moki. I have all three both with and without clips. When used without clips I have them in this pocket sheath.

Awesome always liked the Benchmade 710. I carry a SOG Spec Elite 1 back in the US and a SOG Pentagon Elite 2 when hiking, in thailand the pickings are slim so its a mediocre S&W Extreme Ops Bullseye, the edge is holding up though surprisingly.

Looking at Fallknivens right now.

Awesome always liked the Benchmade 710. I carry a SOG Spec Elite 1 back in the US and a SOG Pentagon Elite 2 when hiking, in thailand the pickings are slim so its a mediocre S&W Extreme Ops Bullseye, the edge is holding up though surprisingly.

Fallkniven makes some of the finest cutting tools on the market today. Going from an SOG to a Fallkniven is like moving from a Chevy to a BMW! The steel that the Swedish company uses is excellent, and they harden their products well. Fallkniven also makes a wonderful sharpening combi stone; 25 micron diamond on one side, an aluminun oxide ceramic on the other. When used with a clamp device such as the DMT Aligner jig or the RazorEdge clamp, you can put an edge on a knife that will slice atoms! Well... almost. You might have to touch it a bit on a strop first.

Take a look in the Mil/Surplus shop outside the moat a block or so before the north-east corner. It's one of the shops with the big blue water barrels in front. They carry a fair selection of quality folders, most of which are NOT knock-offs. You might find something there that you like. I found a Benchmade 707 axis lock there about 4 years ago... Made a nice little brother for the Benchmade 710.

Good bit of excellent adice and information here. Thanks. I might buy a knife for my father before I return to Canada in a month. Dad always was a knife nut and I sorta came by it naturally.

Fallkniven makes some of the finest cutting tools on the market today. Going from an SOG to a Fallkniven is like moving from a Chevy to a BMW! The steel that the Swedish company uses is excellent, and they harden their products well. Fallkniven also makes a wonderful sharpening combi stone; 25 micron diamond on one side, an aluminun oxide ceramic on the other. When used with a clamp device such as the DMT Aligner jig or the RazorEdge clamp, you can put an edge on a knife that will slice atoms! Well... almost. You might have to touch it a bit on a strop first.

Take a look in the Mil/Surplus shop outside the moat a block or so before the north-east corner. It's one of the shops with the big blue water barrels in front. They carry a fair selection of quality folders, most of which are NOT knock-offs. You might find something there that you like. I found a Benchmade 707 axis lock there about 4 years ago... Made a nice little brother for the Benchmade 710.

Yep they use their 3G laminate powder steel, that just sounds enticing. Checking out this Fallkniven PXL pocket knife with White Micarta handles at the moment, its a beauty aint she? If you click on that video you can see the line where the laminate steel is.

Awesome!

As I said in a previous post, Fallkniven does harden their steel well, between 60-63, while most knife companies seem to stop around 57-59. For a small blade that isn't going to be beaten up, the harder treatement works very well. On a larger blade, this degree of hardening might lead to edge chipping, but that wouldn't be such a problem on a pocket folder. You can't go wrong with a Fallkniven knife.

• 4 weeks later...

I have wustof knives go to PIAK custom Knives off Cm sankaphaeng road. He will do a excellent job sharpening your knives

anyone found or tried this place lately? Care to give more detailed directions if you have them?

did a websearch and his website is no longer functioning... sent him a message on facebook...perhaps he will respond.

Edited by zippydedodah

• 2 weeks later...

OK... found PIAK custom knifes... it is on the 1006, heading east, as you come off the 2nd ring road... heading south...

come off the 2nd ring road, take a right on 1006 to head east and about 50 yds down the road on your right, you will see their sign.

Phone number is: 053851369,,, according to their business card.

No much english spoken at all... will take the knives in to see how they do, later this week, with the wife to translate.

Think he said something like 100 baht for large knives and 50 baht for smaller ones...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Yes ceramic knives..hmmmmm nice, but boy does it make the blood boil when your wife attacks a frozen chicken with one!!! Best kept hidden for use by those who know how to use and appreciate them.

Hi Zippy. How did the knife sharpening turn out?

excellent... great job... knives came back sharp and handled very well (meaning the finish on the blade, etc)....would recommend him to anyone and i will use him again (but probably not at least for another year, as these blades should stay sharp at least that long!)

• Like 1

If you found the above directions to Piak Bowie Knives a little confusing, try this.

Head east (away from the city) on the SanKaphaeng Road (Highway 1006). After passing the 2nd Ring Road (Highway 3029), the shop is 200 meters further on the LEFT (north) side of the road.

Here is a pic of the shop front, courtesy of Google Street View.

5dl3.jpg

GPS Coordinates: 18.779985, 99.044341

• Like 1