Danish Craft Beer Hits Thailand

webfact

Danish craft beer hits Thailand
BY ANDERS HOLM NIELSEN

b.jpg

BANGKOK: -- In Denmark, one of the biggest consumers of beer worldwide, microbreweries and craft beer have long been a big trend and it seems that every other day a new brewery pops up. Now some of the top craft beers in Denmark will be making their way to Thailand. The company responsible is Hopsession, a Thai based trading company located in Bangkok.

The vision of Hopsession is to bring quality international beer brands to Thailand, and they start by introducing award winning and acclaimed Danish brews.

The first beer to be introduced is Bøgedal. Bøgedal Bryghus is a Danish microbrewery that is also one of the world’s smallest. Brewing their beers the same way as fine wine – without the use of pumps, machines, and temperature control – Bøgedal can produce a nearly clear beer without filtration, thereby retaining many of the important flavors and aromas. Bøgedal has an annual production of a mere 30,000 bottles. Produced in batches of 350-700 bottles, each brew is unique and never made again.

The unique brew will be introduced as part of a four-course beer pairing with food prepared by Chef Nan Bunyasaranand of Little Beast where the event is hosted. Bøgedal Brewmaster Gitte Holmboe will also be flying in from Denmark to present the beers and share Bøgedal’s unique brewing methods.

The Bøgedal beer is the first of a number of beers from Denmark, that the company plans to introduce. Later on, craft beers from Nørrebro Brewery, Skovlyst and Mikkeller will also be available for the Thais. The brewery, Mikkeller, has supplied Michelin stared restaurants like Noma and Kiin Kiin.

Hopsession also boasts of being the first to start selling mead in Thailand, so it will be exiting to see if the Danish beers will be just as popular as in its homeland.

For beer enthusiasts, the event presenting Bøgedal brewery will be at Little Beast, Thonglor 13. Tickets are THB 2,600 per person and are sold in limited quality.

For tickets, contact [email protected] or [email protected]

Source: http://scandasia.com/danish-craft-beer-hits-thailand/

-- ScandAsia 2013-02-27

Great news. I've requested my price list already. Should work really well alongside Beervana's list, the odd bottle of London Pride I find in Makro, Cooper's Ale and Beer Laos. I'm nearly getting to a point where I can feel settled....not really, not until TRUE cask ales hit these shores!

• Like 1

Great news. I've requested my price list already. Should work really well alongside Beervana's list, the odd bottle of London Pride I find in Makro, Cooper's Ale and Beer Laos. I'm nearly getting to a point where I can feel settled....not really, not until TRUE cask ales hit these shores!

I am still waiting for Watneys party 7 cans to get to thailand.

I had forgotten about those until my mate loaned me a CD set of the first series of Life on Mars from the UK.

Anyway good to see the beer selection seems to be getting better. Just don';t bring in Worthington 'E'

Do you know any retail outlets for beer Lao? I like many others am thirsty for good beer. Though Thailand agreed, and signed onto the 6th ASEAN charter, which allowed free trade of liquor throughout ASEAN, starting jan. 1st, 2012, of course they are not abiding by the agreement they signed. Will be the same in 2015, when they sign 10 more agreements they will not follow, nor allow in practice. Sign anything. Why not? It does not mean anything.

Do you know any retail outlets for beer Lao? I like many others am thirsty for good beer. Though Thailand agreed, and signed onto the 6th ASEAN charter, which allowed free trade of liquor throughout ASEAN, starting jan. 1st, 2012, of course they are not abiding by the agreement they signed. Will be the same in 2015, when they sign 10 more agreements they will not follow, nor allow in practice. Sign anything. Why not? It does not mean anything.

Tops, Emporium Gourmet Market, Foodland, Villa. Need more?

• Like 2

What agreement have they violated?

• Like 1

Thailand signed the 6th Asean Charter, back in 2010, which allows for duty free trade, of all alcoholic beverages, within ASEAN. It has been in effect since Jan. 1st, 2011. Thai authorities never allowed it to take affect. They continue blocking duty free importation of beer to this day, within ASEAN. When they so blatantly break the law, how are we to trust them to ever do the right thing?

Thailand signed the 6th Asean Charter, back in 2010, which allows for duty free trade, of all alcoholic beverages, within ASEAN. It has been in effect since Jan. 1st, 2011. Thai authorities never allowed it to take affect. They continue blocking duty free importation of beer to this day, within ASEAN. When they so blatantly break the law, how are we to trust them to ever do the right thing?

Okay, I'm not arguing with you, I'm interested in knowing how they continue to block importation, and how you came across this information?

I was on a flight from Vietnam to Bkk. It was only an hour flight and they served a crap meal so I asked if I could have a beer instead of the food as it was a international flight. The steward stated they did not serve beer on this flight as it was only a short hop. A few minutes later he came back with a bottle of beer for me. It was A WARSTEINER beer.I have not heard of it before It was a Luftansa flight so I imagine it was a German brew.The beer was one of the best I have had for a long time as all the beer in Thailand appears to be larger. I prefer beer to larger.

Okay, I'm not arguing with you, I'm interested in knowing how they continue to block importation, and how you came across this information?

It is public information. A friend of mine, who is in the wine importation business here, told me about it. It is quite simple to block it. You simply create an edict from the very top, to not allow it. Let them sue us. Let them try to enforce this. The only way it would change is to jail the owners of the major beer companies, who are very obviously paying off the senators, and politicians to ensure they have little or no competition. Let me ask you something. How do you think Singha would sell, if you had a choice of Beer Lao, Bintang, or any other high quality beer produced within Asean? Thai beers have to be considered some of the lowest quality beers within ASEAN, correct?

It is public information. A friend of mine, who is in the wine importation business here, told me about it. It is quite simple to block it. You simply create an edict from the very top, to not allow it. Let them sue us. Let them try to enforce this. The only way it would change is to jail the owners of the major beer companies, who are very obviously paying off the senators, and politicians to ensure they have little or no competition. Let me ask you something. How do you think Singha would sell, if you had a choice of Beer Lao, Bintang, or any other high quality beer produced within Asean? Thai beers have to be considered some of the lowest quality beers within ASEAN, correct?

I'd agree with that, yea, Thai beer generally sucks. Beer Lao is far superior.

It will never change, though. Can you name a once really corrupt country that is now not corrupt? It's deeply imbedded in the cultures. One of the reasons I'm looking elsewhere.

Philistine

I'm waiting for Racer 5, one of the best beers ever!

http://www.bearrepublic.com/ourbeers.php

I was on a flight from Vietnam to Bkk. It was only an hour flight and they served a crap meal so I asked if I could have a beer instead of the food as it was a international flight. The steward stated they did not serve beer on this flight as it was only a short hop. A few minutes later he came back with a bottle of beer for me. It was A WARSTEINER beer.I have not heard of it before It was a Luftansa flight so I imagine it was a German brew.The beer was one of the best I have had for a long time as all the beer in Thailand appears to be larger. I prefer beer to larger.

Warsteiner catpiss has been here for at least 10 years...don't know why though.

You can get real ales in Thailand :)

Unpasturized, unfiltered, natural ingredients, refermented on the container, no added CO2... You just have to look for it.

• 8 months later...

Philistine

Nah, The Israelis wouldn't let it in:)

Only if you can't count that the last mention of Beer Lao and where to find it in this thread was eight plus posts earlier and back 10 months ago to February, and already had been well answered above, including by me.

And your comment came directly in response to my question re Danish beer.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

• 7 months later...

Fast forward a year. Now we have Mikeller bar off Sukhumvit 63. Mikeller being a very famous Danish craft brewery. Their bar is in a refurbished villa and they offer 30 different craft beers on tap, including some really interesting ones. Very nice place!

Also, the beer website www.wishbeer.com offers at least 50 different Danish craft beers, in addition to 300 other beers. Service is reliable. I have used it a few times.