Teenagers And Sexual Assault

loong

Today is my last day after a first (and last) year of teaching. I did this in part to learn more about Thai culture.

One thing I've learned is that the punishment amongst children never rises anywhere near to the level of the offense, so you would likely be wasting precious energy and thought and time seeking appropriate punishment for the offenders.

Healing for all and ensuring this is never repeated by far take precedence.

Oh, and, your daughter's pretty cool for fending off three older boys. Tell her that. Maybe she'd like to take some self-defense lessons?

Keep cool, Loong.

I'm not really about seeking appropriate punishment for the offenders. But a slap from their parents is just not anywhere near enough. They need a shock and hopefully the police can do that.

Even out in the villages here we are now seeing gangs of teenagers 30 or more strong attacking and beating anyone that they don't like the look of. Somebody has to make a stand and start to take control. Things are only going to get worse.

I know you're not. And with 25 years as a cop, I'm not about letting bad guys get away with anything, but there's a time to fight, and a time to stand down.

In the west, okay, get the cops involved, but here, I just think it's a waste of time unless you have specific knowledge that leads you to reasonably believe a complaint to the police will result in positive action and, just as importantly, positive results, and most importantly NO negative results. You used the word "hopefully," so I'm guessing this is not the case.

Don't forget the law of unintended consequences. I know nothing of your lives where you live, but where I live, while I could reasonably expect some locals to support me, I know some would try to kill me. Just last week two more people were shot and killed over a piece of land, (one was a young boy) and this is a small town. But it is the wild west of Thailand. I am friends with two of the cops. They admit they are in fear of being killed, shot in the back. Indeed, one was last year---for confiscating a motorbike from a 12 year old.

What I'm saying is your daughter managed to get away this time. Have you considered what might evolve if you take this matter to the next step? This is day one. Keep cool for a few, then start the decision-making process.

Look what happened to that Puyai Ban when he tried to stop toxic dumping in his village.

Look what happened to the college law professor when he committed battery on a woman for not backing up her car. 1000 baht fine?

And, no, Heavy Drinker, I'm no wuss. I worked the streets of LA for almost three decades. But my child's FUTURE welfare would come first before someone else's child's punishment. You can't be everywhere all the time.

And none of us can put ourselves in Loong's shoes, because we don't have intimate knowledge of the thousands of details in his life that have to be considered at once, to make a good decision.

Having roving gangs of 30 beating people, seems to me to be both a sign of ineffective police power, and of a time to move on. Not an environment for a child. I'm working on getting out of where I am for the same reason. Just waiting for the GF.

Take care of your girl, Loong.

"And, no, Heavy Drinker, I'm no wuss. I worked the streets of LA for almost three decades. But my child's FUTURE welfare would come first before someone else's child's punishment. You can't be everywhere all the time."

Yes, it seems the majority of responses are aimed at exacting revenge rather than solving the problem. It's understandable that anyone whose child was attacked in this way would be in a state of rage and frustration, but if you're looking to change the behaviour of the boys and to protect your children, a community based solution, if at all possible, is needed, not some Rambo-esque counter attack.