( Another) Savanakhet Trip Report (27/28 February 1 March 2013)

Just back from a visa run to Savanakhet ( non O multiple entry) Thai wife

My first run to Savanakhet was in dec 2011, and it looks like it’s getting a more popular place for visa runners so here’s my experience.

Day 1: a 350 km ride ( I went with my motorcycle) from Buriram province, arrived at the bridge around 3 pm, parked my bike in the secure parking ( 200 thb for 2 days) even left my bike gear on the bike and is was all there when I came back.

Passed immigration and bought a busticket ( 50 thb) on the Lao side visa on arrival ( 1500thb) and a entry fee 40 thb when going through Lao immigration, finally a minivan (200 thb) to Nong soda guesthouse ( 400 thb a night) next to the Mekong river. I stayed there before, now ( since 2 months) it’s got a new ( south African) manager/owner, he told me he’s planning some upgrading, it’s simple but good. ,and it’s just a few hundred meters from the consulate, from what I understood he’s working together with the consulate and they want to get more visa runners to the consulate, the one in vietianne is very busy.

Day 2 ( application) 9 am the gates are open, there were about 30 people waiting ( a few farangs and a lot of Laotians) when it was my turn I handed over the documents:

Application form.

2 passport photo’s

Copy of my passport

Copy of the housebook

Copy of my wife’s id card

Copy of the wedding certificate and wedding registration

My passport

And 5000 thb.

The guy from the consulate checked them, had a look at the original documents and handed me over the receipt for pick up 2 pm the next day.

The rest of the day just relaxing, had a look around at a local market (called Singapore market) where a lot of cheap electronic devices are being sold ( chinese copies off course)

The good thing from staying close to the Mekong is that there is still connection with the Thai network (mobile phone and aircard)

When you’re more into town connection is lost but a lot of places got ( free) wifi.

Savanakhet is a very laid back quiet town, friendly people and restaurants all around, a good one is a French owned one Chez Boune.( delicious steak)

And everywhere the delicious French bread.

Day 3 pick up visa and travel back

Just a easy day of waiting and doing some work on my computer in the cool hotelroom ( it was blistering hot) and finally it was 2 PM.

Gates were open and they started calling the receipt numbers, then a tuk tuk back to the bridge ( 100 thb) another busticket 50 thb and I was back in Thailand. Loading my bags on the bike and back on the road for a 350 km ride back home where I arrived at 9:30 PM.

Mission accomplished, I’m good for another 15 months.

Conclusion: Savanakhet is ( still) an easy place to get a new visa, not busy at all. Using a visa service or individual that’s “up to you” personally I like to keep things ( and my passport) in my own hands.

Total spendings on this run were: (give or take a few baht) 11.000

And that’s: fuel/ parkingfee / busticket / taxivan/ tuk tuk/ hotel/ Lao visa / Thai visa / food and drinks/

Depending on you’re spending style you can do it cheaper or more expensive.

I had a chat with an English guy who lives in Mukdahan and according to him Mukdahan got quite some nightlife going on.

So for those who are looking for business and “pleasure “ it may be better to spend the first night in Mukdahan.

Cheers;

Dutchbike

• Like 1