Seven Dead In East Pattaya Minivan Crash

Rimmer

I think that we, that is the people who post on ThaiVisa who care about this stupid situation should do something positive about it. Enough is enough, as a collective group I think our voices would be heard, it is us Ferangs who contribute to the economy considerably, and also get killed by these drugged up maniacs..

So we as a group through Thai Visa we should send a letter to the Government every week, and keep sending until something happens, like governors, law enforcement etc.

OK Thai Visa how about it!

Back to You.

Of course the Nieves who think there is nothing wrong can continue burying heads in sand, and in shame!

Dream on.

With that sort of defeatist attitude of course nothing will happen, but if this forum sent copies of letters to overseas media, on a continual basis, something would happen, and soon. they do not like adverse publicity overseas do they.

Just a matter of being brave enough, which I suspect this forum is not.

• Replies 225
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A very tragic accident and my condolences to the families involved.

Buses and minibuses are public service vehicles and, as such, they should be fitted with governors to limit their speed and with tachographs to ensure the driver has rest periods. I realise it's too much to ask of Thai authorities to implement these measures but I'm an optimist. The safety of the passengers should have priority over speed.

I think that we, that is the people who post on ThaiVisa who care about this stupid situation should do something positive about it. Enough is enough, as a collective group I think our voices would be heard, it is us Ferangs who contribute to the economy considerably, and also get killed by these drugged up maniacs..

So we as a group through Thai Visa we should send a letter to the Government every week, and keep sending until something happens, like governors, law enforcement etc.

Back to You.

Of course the Nieves who think there is nothing wrong can continue burying heads in sand, and in shame!

Dream on.

With that sort of defeatist attitude of course nothing will happen, but if this forum sent copies of letters to overseas media, on a continual basis, something would happen, and soon. they do not like adverse publicity overseas do they.

Just a matter of being brave enough, which I suspect this forum is not.

Perhaps those of us who have been here a while and dealt with stuff have our eyes open to how things work. Authorities here will not give a toss what foreign countries think. Cast your mind back to the floods and help from the USA was refused sad.png . Think about it.

Back to You.

A nice idea but you can write as many letters as you like and nothing will happen. The onus lays with the BiB on the ground, think anyone will understand, that but they don't work, nobody controls them. Imagine the lives that could be saved if the BiB actually worked. LOS has a huge police force but where are they ? sad.png

The average Thai person that uses these minibuses recognises the issue - they are dicing with death when they get on a minibus.

Your sentinment is a good one, but foreigners aren't going to change the issue.

A ground swell of Thais might, however their culture is one that never questions authority - at least that is the case for the majority of the minibus users.

The chances of Thais rising up against the authorities to debate and resolve the issue is about as much chance of me constructing a rocket to fly to the moon. There is a chance, but a small one.

I always considered that if a Thai businessmand or someone in the right circles would ever create an alternative to the current system then that would shake up the current system. What I mean is that they still use minibuses but create an alternate fleet. Perhaps have a fleet that is a different colour bus - bright yellow perhaps. And then float that service advertising that they are a 'safe' service and then back the drivers to actually drive safe. Charge an extra 10 - 20 baht per ticket in lieu of the 'safety guarantee' we guarantee our drivers will not speed, overtake when they are not on double lines, will not tailgate. And offer a money back guarantee to the passengers if the driver does that. I think that if this alternative was available and actually was profitable and Thais voted with their feet then I think that could make a difference.

On the neysay I doubt that this would ever happen because of the corruption involved with the current powers that be who run the minibus system - they would never allow someone to jeopardise their setup.

• Like 1

Back to You.

A nice idea but you can write as many letters as you like and nothing will happen. The onus lays with the BiB on the ground, think anyone will understand, that but they don't work, nobody controls them. Imagine the lives that could be saved if the BiB actually worked. LOS has a huge police force but where are they ? sad.png

The average Thai person that uses these minibuses recognises the issue - they are dicing with death when they get on a minibus.

Your sentinment is a good one, but foreigners aren't going to change the issue.

A ground swell of Thais might, however their culture is one that never questions authority - at least that is the case for the majority of the minibus users.

The chances of Thais rising up against the authorities to debate and resolve the issue is about as much chance of me constructing a rocket to fly to the moon. There is a chance, but a small one.

I always considered that if a Thai businessmand or someone in the right circles would ever create an alternative to the current system then that would shake up the current system. What I mean is that they still use minibuses but create an alternate fleet. Perhaps have a fleet that is a different colour bus - bright yellow perhaps. And then float that service advertising that they are a 'safe' service and then back the drivers to actually drive safe. Charge an extra 10 - 20 baht per ticket in lieu of the 'safety guarantee' we guarantee our drivers will not speed, overtake when they are not on double lines, will not tailgate. And offer a money back guarantee to the passengers if the driver does that. I think that if this alternative was available and actually was profitable and Thais voted with their feet then I think that could make a difference.

On the neysay I doubt that this would ever happen because of the corruption involved with the current powers that be who run the minibus system - they would never allow someone to jeopardise their setup.

A very good idea that just might work! lets try it! anybody?

Thailand's driving standards will improve in time. Just as they have done in countries that are more fully developed. If you live or visit here you need to be aware of the risks of being in a less well developed country.

I first came here 23 years ago ,nothings changed with the driving skils. i wish i had your opptamism

• Like 1

Have you EVER driven here ? Perhaps folk in minivans ''survive'' cos US who do drive here and see one of these rides in the mirror IMMEDIATELY get ready for the shit. I have been forced off the road by these so called ''professionals''. rolleyes.gif

Just to make it clear, I agree that there are some very bad drivers here, of both cars and vans. In fact, many, many more than in the UK. But, they are still in the minority. Yes, I see crazy van drivers. But for each crazy one I see, I see countless others driving safely. If they were ALL as crazy as you make out, then there would be a lot more accidents. With all these crazy drivers you claim are here, how come the death rate is still below the world average? So less deaths here, so driving can't be as bad as you make out.

It's still the most dangerous place in the world per capita (on the roads)

Thai drivers are so inexperienced that they dont realise different vehicles have different handling characteristics. They think all same same. Today I think I am in porsche car, vroom vroom.

I saw a Top Gear program comparing acceleration and stopping times of various vehicles. It was terrifying how long cheap runabouts take to stop, never mind the ability to take corners...........

Noo same same, upto you

this scenario will go on and on until we get some kind of regulation to stop these mini van/bus/boat/scooter drivers from thinking their jobs are just to go fast and make as many trips as possible...we see tourism so caught up in greed,and corruption ,and now,we have another disaster,this can be avoided,but it will never change....my advice...never sleep when you are in a taxi or mini van,and try to sit where you can see the driver...if he begins to nod..have him pull over ...and get out or call another driver...i once ,mid way in the trip when i saw him nodding sugested i drive...and drove myself and let the driver snooze...so often these drivers act like gods,and people feel intimidated to even ask them to ''turn down that silly lao music''.....this is so sad for the famillies....so sad...

Have you EVER driven here ? Perhaps folk in minivans ''survive'' cos US who do drive here and see one of these rides in the mirror IMMEDIATELY get ready for the shit. I have been forced off the road by these so called ''professionals''. rolleyes.gif

Just to make it clear, I agree that there are some very bad drivers here, of both cars and vans. In fact, many, many more than in the UK. But, they are still in the minority. Yes, I see crazy van drivers. But for each crazy one I see, I see countless others driving safely. If they were ALL as crazy as you make out, then there would be a lot more accidents. With all these crazy drivers you claim are here, how come the death rate is still below the world average? So less deaths here, so driving can't be as bad as you make out.

It's still the most dangerous place in the world per capita (on the roads)

Someone working in a hospital in Pattaya said official statistics are 'managed' and there is no way the carnage during Songkran fits with the official version.

• Like 1

On that bus route there are 4 (full size) bus companies, Song Taus, and taxi's. The only people take the vans is speed and price. Anyone know which van company it was? There are different color stripes at on the sides of the vans although I have never heard of one that ends up in Maptaphut; most go to Rayong.

Edited by chiangmaikelly

UPDATE
Reckless Van Driver Blamed For Fiery Fatal Crash
SATTAHIP:--Two survivors of a van crash that killed seven people blamed the driver’s reckless speeding. The commuter van was traveling from Bangkok to Rayong, when it hit a median pole and turned over and caught fire. Two female passengers escaped, included the seriously injured driver. The trapped passengers who burned to death included two children.

SATTAHIP – March 2, 2013 [PDN]: at 9 a.m., the police reported the results of their follow-up investigation of a fatal van crash that killed seven people.

At about 9 a.m. on March 1, a commuter van lost control and collided with the median pole in the road, causing a fire that burnt the whole van. The accident occurred on highway 86 near the entrance to Rayong, in front of the Peera Circuit Car Racing Field.

At the scene, police discovered the burnt Toyota commuter taxicab van, which drove a route between Bangkok-Mabtaphood-Rayong. Inside were the burnt bodies of 5 females and 2 males. Two of the victims were children, ages 1 and 7.

Two female passengers had escaped the van, along with the seriously-injured driver. They were all rushed to the hospital. The van driver was identified as Mr. Chuchart Phochai, age 50.

The two surviving passengers had moderate injuries. One was identified as Ms. Aroonsri Kraisit, age 41, living in Tambon Khongnamwon, Amphur Meuang, Rachburi province. The other survivor was Mrs. Sriphrai Semsuksai, age 56, living on Sukhumvit road, Amphur Paknam, Samutprakarn province

Police said the van had picked up passengers going from Bangkok to Rayong. The van was being driven at a high speed when the accident occurred. Police assumed that the driver fell asleep at the wheel, causing the van to lose control and collide violently with the median pole. The impact caused the van to turn over and then burst into flames. The van had NGV gas tanks installed, which caused the fire to engulf the entire vehicle and kill the trapped passengers inside.
Full story:http://www.pattayadailynews.com/en/2013/03/03/reckless-van-driver-blamed-for-fiery-fatal-crash/

--PATTAYA DAILY NEWS:2013-03-03

Once I hopped in a taxi from Bangkok to Pattaya.The guy was going way too fast for my liking. I told him to slow down in English, he just acted like he didn't understand my English (he did understand my English earlier). Then when I said, "cha-cha", he just laughed and said in Thai, "no worry". I finally said no baht .. he slowed down. I suppose the Thai solution will be to prohibit vans when it should be enforcing the speed limit or give the drivers a workshop on safe driving.
"

In many Western countries they do not allow LPG (I call it propane) because of a safety issue. Are there such things as a "safe" tank. It there is, I do not expect Thailand to enforce using these since the cost would be more but it sounds like there should be some safety enforcement with these tanks. They're moving bombs.

In many Western countries they do not allow LPG (I call it propane) because of a safety issue. Are there such things as a "safe" tank. It there is, I do not expect Thailand to enforce using these since the cost would be more but it sounds like there should be some safety enforcement with these tanks. They're moving bombs.

Misinformation.

I do not think there is one single European country prohibiting lpg.

They most definitely are not moving bombs.

I do agree installations here in Thailand are not always up to scratch.

FYI following website lists the lpg stations across Europe:

http://www.mylpg.eu/stations/

Too much to speculate on. It doesn't say if the driver ran off only that they guess he might have fallen asleep, maybe he died, maybe he is one of the survivors. After rolling over at high speed many of the victims may have been unconscious and or disoriented so unable to exit the vehicle, otherwise I would think they would kick out the windows instead of trying to get out a jammed door. By gas tanks I presume they mean propane (LPG) tanks. Seems they could

find a way to install these outside the vehicle.

Sad to know there were some kids killed.

On a side note, I tend to speak up and say something, whether it is because of someone throwing trash, stopping at the top of an escalator, etc. So if it was me in the van, especially if I had my kids with me, I would have asked the guy to slow down, failing to heed my request I would have smacked him a few times. Go ahead and call the BiB I have 10 witnesses who will verify my claim you were endangering our lives.

Except your 10 witnesses would say nothing.

Why wouldn't they say anything? You don't think my wife and kids would back me up? You think the rest of the passengers would rather risk their lives with an out of control driver than tell the BiB he was driving badly? I guess you're assuming the other passengers are Thai and would rather just accept the risk of life.

LPG in the Netherlands is very popular and available at almost every
common gas station. So far i know, there never occured a major accident related to LPG.

Edited by alocacoc

Unbelievable! Hundreds of people on 9 pages are bashing deadly minivans (Toyota Commuter) and NONE ever mentions far deadlier songthows (Isuzu). Why would you do it only AFTER it happens? I guess, few people remember what "to think ahead" means! bah.gif

The only accidents I know of are drunks falling out of the back of Song Taus.

Unbelievable! Hundreds of people on 9 pages are bashing deadly minivans (Toyota Commuter) and NONE ever mentions far deadlier songthows (Isuzu). Why would you do it only AFTER it happens? I guess, few people remember what "to think ahead" means! bah.gif

How many people have died as a result of song thaew accidents in the last 12 months? have a search and let us know please, i can't recall any, i can recall many deadly mini van accidents over the same period however.

Drivin from pattaya to Bangkok last night I had this thread fresh in my mind. In the middle lane I watched for fast moving traffic in the outside lane. So many d1ckheads. Not all minivan drivers.

But trucks, sedans, buses.

Crazy people out there

Near bira , some big holes in the highwAy ....

This is also the danger, road Seems perfect and atracts speeding....

And then, a hole .....and a topheavy van, .....Loaded with 10 times 80 kg = 800 kg.moverloaded .....

Rip

It was a Toyota Commuter, they have a payload of 1045KG's. so not overloaded.

RIP to those who passed away.

Edited by Spoonman